How does a pump out work?

Featured Posts

Hi,

As part of refitting my boat, I'm removing the unused pump out tank. Before my ownership, the boat had a dump though toilet which had long since been removed and the porta potti sat on top of the tank with a plate over the dump through hole.

I've now discovered the tank is about 1/3 full of at least six year old bodily fluids and is a bit too heavy to maneuvre without risking spillage.

If I reconnected the pipes, would it pump out successfully or will the hole where the toilet should be cause an issue? In my head, pump outs require vacuum to work but now I'm wondering if it's just a suction pump pulling the liquids up but then how do they cope with solids.

The tank sits low in the boat, so not sure how I could successfully siphon it into portable containers for elsan disposal.

Also, if anyone wants a stainless steel dump through tank there's one available very soon, currently in Cambrian Wharf with or without existing contents. ?

Thanks in advance

Rob

It will pump out just fine but make sure there is a way for plenty of air to get back into the tank as the effluent is  removed.

The pump out pumps are often a combination of large Jabsco pump to provide the initial suction  and maccerator to deal with solids and also to act as a centrifugal pump once it has liquid in it.

Sometimes its a vacuum vessel cum tank that is evacuated by a vacuum pump before the pump out commences.

Edited by Tony Brooks

What a shame - removing a stainless steel poo tank.......

What you need is an extension bit of plastic pipe  to fit over the pumpout nozzle and put that down the hole left by the loo.

I've put the pipe end through an open window before now - but we do have sliding windows.

You don't need much section pressure to remove solids as well as liquides. I've hear tales from lockies on the Thhames that they've had large bits of clothing (a shirt) sicked through their equipment in the past.

Foldks put sanitary towels, wet wipes and all sorts of things ane they get sucked out (if you're lucky!

Thanks everyone.

Mind back at ease now. I do have a wet and dry vac but not one I want to chuck, however, there does seem to be quite a few on ebay to choose from, around the price of a pump out, so that could well be a viable alternative.

Rob

5 hours ago, OldGoat said:

What a shame - removing a stainless steel poo tank.......

What you need is an extension bit of plastic pipe  to fit over the pumpout nozzle and put that down the hole left by the loo.

I've put the pipe end through an open window before now - but we do have sliding windows.

You don't need much section pressure to remove solids as well as liquides. I've hear tales from lockies on the Thhames that they've had large bits of clothing (a shirt) sicked through their equipment in the past.

Foldks put sanitary towels, wet wipes and all sorts of things ane they get sucked out (if you're lucky!

You will get a lot more out like that. The yard at Stratford on Avon did that as their prefered method as you don't rely on an airtight seal in the deck fitting and you can get the pipe right to the very bottom of the tank