BCN expedition up to Daw End?

IanD

Featured Posts

On this year's trip (start of September, up to the BCN starting from Wootten Wawen) I've been looking at new places to go, and am wondering whether it's worth spending a day each way going from Pudding Green Junction up the Walsall/Tame Valley/Rushall/Wyrley & Essington canals to the Manor Arms at Daw End. I'm not expecting verdant countryside, and 17 locks each way wouldn't worry us, assuming there's some water in them and not too many tarpaulins and shopping trolleys...

Any up-to-date comments? I've read up on the forum about these canals but there seem to be dissenting views from "don't be put off" to "don't go there under any circumstances" -- possibly depending when they were posted, there seem to be more negative comments recently than after a lot of dredging/maintenance was done about ten years ago.

Also any suggestions for moorings somewhere in the general vicinity of Pudding Green? The only obvious place from the BCN safe moorings document is offside at the top of Ryders Green locks but there's nothing else there (the Eight Locks is defunct). Given enough time (will probably be coming from the Blue Bell on the Northern Stratford) I could go through Netherton to Withymoor (Old Swan) or up to Tipton (Fountain), but somewhere closer would give more time to do battle with the Ryders Green and Rushall locks...

[of course, always assuming that in a couple of months the pubs will be largely open...]

28 minutes ago, IanD said:

On this year's trip (start of September, up to the BCN starting from Wootten Wawen) I've been looking at new places to go, and am wondering whether it's worth spending a day each way going from Pudding Green Junction up the Walsall/Tame Valley/Rushall/Wyrley & Essington canals to the Manor Arms at Daw End. I'm not expecting verdant countryside, and 17 locks each way wouldn't worry us, assuming there's some water in them and not too many tarpaulins and shopping trolleys...

Any up-to-date comments? I've read up on the forum about these canals but there seem to be dissenting views from "don't be put off" to "don't go there under any circumstances" -- possibly depending when they were posted, there seem to be more negative comments recently than after a lot of dredging/maintenance was done about ten years ago.

Also any suggestions for moorings somewhere in the general vicinity of Pudding Green? The only obvious place from the BCN safe moorings document is offside at the top of Ryders Green locks but there's nothing else there (the Eight Locks is defunct). Given enough time (will probably be coming from the Blue Bell on the Northern Stratford) I could go through Netherton to Withymoor (Old Swan) or up to Tipton (Fountain), but somewhere closer would give more time to do battle with the Ryders Green and Rushall locks...

[of course, always assuming that in a couple of months the pubs will be largely open...]

Rushall is a pleasant flight. It’s surroundings are 1930s suburbia.

You can moor at Bromford Junction just below Spon Lane bottom lock. I’d prefer that to Ryders Green top lock offside. There’s also one visitor mooring at the end of the Engine Arm (I think). Both those are on your way rather than past it.

Will you go out via Ocker Hill and back via Perry Barr?

JP

Haven’t done the Walsall  Ocker Hill to Birchills for a while, but it was pretty grim, slow and noting much to enjoy. However the “big ring” from Horseley Fields right up to Brownhills is quite OK and very nice around Pelsall. Worth a detour up the Anglesey Branch. The Daw end and Rushall are quite pleasant and yes I agree the Rushall flight is surprisingly very nice. Ditto Perry Barr flight, nothing to complain about except possibly weed.

9 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I've been looking at new places to go, and am wondering whether it's worth spending a day each way going from Pudding Green Junction up the Walsall/Tame Valley/Rushall/Wyrley & Essington canals to the Manor Arms at Daw End. I'm not expecting verdant countryside, and 17 locks each way wouldn't worry us, assuming there's some water in them and not too many tarpaulins and shopping trolleys...

We first did that run about a year ago, and found it very pleasant.  There are some slow shallow bits, but if you have the sense to throttle back a bit you don't disturb all the rubbish off the bottom so shouldn't need to be down the hatch every five minutes.

There is a lot of rubbish in the Walsall, but if you just pootle you'll get through without too much drama.  Trying to do it fast like we did one way during the BCN challenge takes about half an hour longer than just pottering due to weed hatch visits!

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

We first did that run about a year ago, and found it very pleasant.  There are some slow shallow bits, but if you have the sense to throttle back a bit you don't disturb all the rubbish off the bottom so shouldn't need to be down the hatch every five minutes.

There is a lot of rubbish in the Walsall, but if you just pootle you'll get through without too much drama.  Trying to do it fast like we did one way during the BCN challenge takes about half an hour longer than just pottering due to weed hatch visits!

Walsall is the bit we have alway had problems, rubbish, broken paddles, drained pounds, apart from last year with Ches, there may have been an empty pound but they are easy to fill, apart from that the locks are easy and fast.

The rest of the BCN is a revelation, it often feels surprisingly rural and isolated, there are obviously industrial bits but they are interesting in themselves.

Perry Barr is lovely, even bow hauling through 7 locks hasn't put me off, it is looking a little odd at the moment with a heavy cover of azolla.

I missed the BCN this years :(

23 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Haven’t done the Walsall  Ocker Hill to Birchills for a while, but it was pretty grim, slow and noting much to enjoy. However the “big ring” from Horseley Fields right up to Brownhills is quite OK and very nice around Pelsall. Worth a detour up the Anglesey Branch. The Daw end and Rushall are quite pleasant and yes I agree the Rushall flight is surprisingly very nice. Ditto Perry Barr flight, nothing to complain about except possibly weed.

Having done some more work on Canalplan, also now looking at "the big ring" -- Northern Stratford, main line to Horseley Fields, Curly Wyrley, Tame Valley, GU via Bordesley and Knowle back to Lapworth. Some stopping places are awkward, especially on the Tame Valley -- BCN moorings suggests Perry Barr top lock is OK?

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

Having done some more work on Canalplan, also now looking at "the big ring" -- Northern Stratford, main line to Horseley Fields, Curly Wyrley, Tame Valley, GU via Bordesley and Knowle back to Lapworth. Some stopping places are awkward, especially on the Tame Valley -- BCN moorings suggests Perry Barr top lock is OK?

There is an offside mooring at the top lock, although it is accessible by the public it should be fine, the area is reasonably ok, just be sensible 

There is a parade of shops a short walk away

Edited by tree monkey

6 minutes ago, IanD said:

Or if you are concerned, moor at the top of Rushall locks at Longwood Junction and start the next day with Rushall flight then Tame Valley.

Nothing wrong with Perry Barr top lock. You’re also probably OK at Rushall (Newton) Junction but there are services at Perry Barr. Bear in mind there are four residential properties at Perry Barr top lock and often other moored boats. It’s not a bad area (although I have to say that cos my wife grew up nearby).

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

I love these BCN backwaters and have never had any problems either boating or mooring. Stayed in some odd places overnight without incident. They need to be used, the vistas are different and generally interesting.

I even like it under the motorways !

TD'

Have stayed at all the mentioned moorings but one of the quietist moorings we ever had was in the deep cutting between Rushall Junction and Perry Barr. It was an enforced stay as we ran aground on a hay bale and by the time we got off didn't feel like carrying on.

I'm sure the OP is aware of the likelihood of trollies in the bottom pound of Ryders Green.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

This is incorrect. There is no “likelihood”, there is only certainty! 

Which together with other comments is why I'm now swinging towards the BCN "big ring"... ?

Day 1 : Wootton Wawen ==> Lowsonford (Fleur de Lys)

Day 2 : Northern Stratford ==> Warings Green (Blue Bell)

Day 3 : New Main Line ==> Tipton (visitor moorings, John the Lock, Fountain)

Day 4 : Horseley Fields ==> Pelsall Junction (Fingerpost)

Day 5 ; lunchtime stop @ Manor House ==> Perry Barr top lock

Day 6 : GU ==> Catherine de Barnes (Boat)

Day 7 : Preston Bagot (Crabmill)

Thanks to all for the suggestions so far -- I think this is a much better plan than the one I had originally ?

[still hoping pubs will be open in September...]

• 2 weeks later...

I've just seen this after posting about Walsall Town Wharf in the mooring section.

I'm planning on traveling from Bodymoor Heath to Walsall, then onto Pelsall before heading on the Anglesey to Chasewater, and finally to Longwood before the blast back through Perry Barr to Bodymoor Heath.

However I plan to spread that over two or three weeks as I'll be having to work two days a week and the whole idea for me is to catch up with friends (having grown up in Pelsall/Walsall). So there should be at least 2 of us on the Curly Wyrley this September!

Bizarrely, my first (tax paying) job was as a Barman at the Manor Arms...the pub with no bar!

Edited by manicpb

On 16/07/2020 at 10:22, manicpb said:

I've just seen this after posting about Walsall Town Wharf in the mooring section.

I'm planning on traveling from Bodymoor Heath to Walsall, then onto Pelsall before heading on the Anglesey to Chasewater, and finally to Longwood before the blast back through Perry Barr to Bodymoor Heath.

However I plan to spread that over two or three weeks as I'll be having to work two days a week and the whole idea for me is to catch up with friends (having grown up in Pelsall/Walsall). So there should be at least 2 of us on the Curly Wyrley this September!

Bizarrely, my first (tax paying) job was as a Barman at the Manor Arms...the pub with no bar!

I'd now love to be doing this trip as planned, but have had to cancel it due to Covid-19 worries of the people we were going with ?

Next year, maybe...