Breathing engine

Featured Posts

Hi got the engine running the 1.8 bmc diesel it was the starter motor. Now I have a problem it's breathing like a steam train if I leave the oil filler cap on it pushes engine oil out of the breather pipe oside of the engine block if I take oil filler cap off still breathes heavy but dose not push oil out of the breather hose on side of the block I checked the fill cap that's clear you can blow in to the cap with your mouth and feel air pass though it has any one got any idears apart I think that engine is nacked? Cheers

3 minutes ago, Carl123 said:

Hi got the engine running the 1.8 bmc diesel it was the starter motor. Now I have a problem it's breathing like a steam train if I leave the oil filler cap on it pushes engine oil out of the breather pipe oside of the engine block if I take oil filler cap off still breathes heavy but dose not push oil out of the breather hose on side of the block I checked the fill cap that's clear you can blow in to the cap with your mouth and feel air pass though it has any one got any idears apart I think that engine is nacked? Cheers

Does it have a breather pipe ?

(maybe connected to the air filter)

If so, is this blocked causing back-pressure ?

13 minutes ago, Carl123 said:

Yes the breather pipe on the side of the block at the side of the enige iv got it running into a bottle at the moment if I conect it the  inlet air filter it just pours out with engine oil then 

Is it 'pouring oil' into the jar ?

If not it would suggest that there is a possible blockage between the end of the pipe and the air filter.

It sounds like severe crankcase compression. Did it do this before whatever you have done to it?

Is this the engine you changed the head gasket on, if so, why?

I don't think you can fit the head gasket wrong, can't remember, but think the oil feed to the rockers is holed in 2 places to prevent this occurring.

Were the piston crowns OK when you saw them?

Holding water OK?

TD'

Edited by Tracy D'arth

It was a second hand bloke witch I got told it come out it was a running engine  apparently it was over heating the guy said it was the head what was at folt of overheating  its been stead for 18 months I put a recon head on it the bores looked good  that's all I now about the block 

Well, its running but has defects.

If its been cooked it may well have broken piston rings. 

With little to lose I would run it hard for as long as you can to see if the bores will clean up. But I don't hold much hope for it.

TD'

Edited by Tracy D'arth

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am with Tracy - badly worn block/pistons/rings most likely.

It's weird that's what I think that one of the rings have snaped or a stuck piston ring it dose start up after 30 seconds of preheating  so mite take it out for a few hours with the oil filler cap off it 

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Well, its running but has defects.

If its been cooked it may well have broken piston rings. 

With little to lose I would run it hard for as long as you ot it running into a bottle at the moment if I conect it the  inlet air filter it just pours out with engine oil then