L&L to Skipton

Fatjoff

Featured Posts

Afternoon all. I'm setting off this weekend from Ripon en route to Skipton (and back) for my summer hols. I understand Beal lock has now been cleared, but are there any other gotchas out there that I should be aware of? This will be my first trip west of Lemonroyd, so I'm not familiar with the territory beyond there. Is there plenty of mooring in Leeds and Skipton? I clearly need to do some research on my trip before I leave, but I've asked the same question on FB (Narrowboat Owners Group) and I thought it might be wise to ask you good people for information too. Thanks in advance.

Thanks got that.  Up the locks at 10am and 3pm, down at 8am and 1pm.  I can manage that.  I'm assuming it's up to Skipton and down to Leeds. I hope I haven't got that wrong.

Thanks again.

54 minutes ago, Fatjoff said:

Afternoon all. I'm setting off this weekend from Ripon en route to Skipton (and back) for my summer hols. I understand Beal lock has now been cleared, but are there any other gotchas out there that I should be aware of? This will be my first trip west of Lemonroyd, so I'm not familiar with the territory beyond there. Is there plenty of mooring in Leeds and Skipton? I clearly need to do some research on my trip before I leave, but I've asked the same question on FB (Narrowboat Owners Group) and I thought it might be wise to ask you good people for information too. Thanks in advance.

Are you single handing?

If so the plethora of swing bridges before Skipton can be a pita unless you can share with another boat, more likely in the summer of course.

If you have crew then not a problem even though some can be a struggle toget moving. The electric ones with the power to stop road traffic are great!.

Moorings in Skipton can get tight in the summer, like any poular market town really. You can usually find somwhere though, even if it means a bit of a walk to the town centre.

Similarly Leeds. Our preference is Leeds Dock but moorings in there are srprisingly few considering it's size. Off river moorings can be had above the first lock in the basin/granary wharf. There is also normally some moorings in a small basin off to your right just after leaving the lock.

All of course subject to availability.

On river moorings just before Leeds also exist outside the Royal Armouries.

Before you get to Leeds, Woodlesford is a very nice spot to spend a few days.

27 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

If you have crew then not a problem even though some can be a struggle toget moving.

I find that making them a cup of tea first thing, followed by breakfast is usually enough to get them moving for the rest of the day. ?

• Haha 1