River Trent Animosity

Joe Bourke

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

There are submarines on the Trent?    That's it I am never going again.

They would be on the canals too if they were deep enough.

Maybe that's why CRT dont do much dredging? ???

22 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

Did any 'enemy' subs ever make it onto British rivers?

There is a Russian one on the Medway. 

And several under the Thames but details are classified on this. 

Edited by magnetman

19 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I think the chaps comments at the end of the other video that was shot are very telling. "I'm coming to your yard to kill your xxxxxxx dog"

He certainly isn't as innocent in this as he is making out. The fact his boat was in his own words fine and isnow suddenly broken when a go fund me page is set up also shows what sort of person he is.

The other chap was certainly not in the right with his actions but this chap is far from innocent as well.

I think one can cut some slack for things said after an incident like that - unpleasant as it may be the small boat skipper has just been subject to a threatening experience. If he'd thrown something that would be a red card, but responding with angry words is understandable if not excusable.

He also comments in the video that his boat has hit the bottom.

The same thing happened to us on the tidal Trent a few years ago. The boat looks very similar.

No back story, he aimed straight for us on a straight section then cut across our bow at the last minute. I had to turn the boat quickly as he passed to prevent the wake capsizing us.

I reported it to the Keadby lockie but in hindsight I should have phoned the police as it was a life threatening incident.

• Horror 1

Some years ago with our first boat a Chrighton narrow 32ft cruiser we exited onto the Trent from Keadby taking it steady as it was our first time on the Trent a Gin palace shot past us digging a big hole in the water and causing us to bob and sway about violently depite turning accross their wake. Not very impressed we arrived at Torksey just in time to see him go through the lock. on our way to Lincon we saw them havinf a BBQ at Saxilby going past at low revs I made a loud remark about hurry up merchants causing fear and inconvieiance to other craft on the river. Some time later I had a nice letter from him saying he was very sorry and as a member of the Stawbury island boat club they tried to be considerate of other boaters.

• Greenie 3

16 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

Did any 'enemy' subs ever make it onto British rivers?

Yes U570 when it was captured and became HMS GRAPH. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Graph

Also a couple surrendered in the Thames

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/VLVA55TW3CHXVGGJE6UJI059JG0H5-U-BOAT-SURRENDERS-IN-THE-THAMES/query/U+776

WW I as well:

https://historyhouse.co.uk/articles/uboats_in_british_ports.html

U 151 moored by Tower Bridge

FL_000951.jpg

U570 - HMS Graph.

Gunther Prien also entered Scapa Flow and sank The Royal Oak.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Interesting that they now say that his insurance won't cover the damage to the outdrive.

I wonder why that might be?

Maybe they have decided it is not 'seaworthy'

Seaworthy: Where Your Insured Property, including Your Craft, is fit to encounter the ordinary perils of the seas, rivers, lakes and any other navigable waterways and is suitably moored, crewed, equipped, fuelled and provisioned with all equipment in proper working order.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Interesting that they now say that his insurance won't cover the damage to the outdrive.

I wonder why that might be?

Probably only 3rd party cover?