River Trent Animosity

Joe Bourke

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I agree see my earlier post.

The issue is whether what happened justified the idiotic response.

Is there ever a justification to behave like that? No matter what happened beforehand, off screen as it were, two wrongs don't make a right.

3 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Is there ever a justification to behave like that? No matter what happened beforehand, off screen as it were, two wrongs don't make a right.

Yes I agree as I think I have said a couple of times now.

2 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Sorry! Although it is nice when everyone is agreeing I didn't mean to be an echo?

I would still love to hear the full story though. As so often videos posted on the net are just a very small part of a story.

Just remember that when the Red Mist descends there's probably a smart phone ready and waiting to capture it in all its glory.  Perhaps seeing the smart phone deterred the skipper of the cruiser from doing something even worse,  who knows. It is also worth bearing in mind that another "innocent" craft might have been approaching that bend and put in a very dangerous situation. Remember there are more paddleboarders, kayakers, and personal watercraft users than ever before on the waterways. Seeing footage like this has made ME less likely to feature in a future "You've Been Framed" episode.   Hopefully. ?

I think the chaps comments at the end of the other video that was shot are very telling. "I'm coming to your yard to kill your xxxxxxx dog"

He certainly isn't as innocent in this as he is making out. The fact his boat was in his own words fine and isnow suddenly broken when a go fund me page is set up also shows what sort of person he is.

The other chap was certainly not in the right with his actions but this chap is far from innocent as well.

Edited by Athy
To remove swearing, after report.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I think the chaps comments at the end of the other video that was shot are very telling. "I'm coming to your yard to kill your xxxxxxx dog"

it sounds more like, "I'll get the boys round your yard and f#@king nick your dog"

anyway, no matter what is said or who did what, its certainly put me right off ever venturing onto rivers.

Edited by Athy
To remove quoted swearing.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

He certainly isn't as innocent in this as he is making out. The fact his boat was in his own words fine and isnow suddenly broken when a go fund me page is set up also shows what sort of person he is.

The other chap was certainly not in the right with his actions but this chap is far from innocent as well.

Im pretty sure its 'nick' as in steal your dog, not that it makes a huge difference of course.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

I used to think that rage was confined to roads these days. Yet river rage is still about and causing an issue, it would seem. Whatever the outcome of this encounter, and whatever the causes, there remains the danger where craft might sink and people might be hurt. There is also a case for a potential loss of licence, or licenses, I would suspect. 

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

it sounds more like, "I'll get the boys round your yard and f#@king nick your dog"

anyway, no matter what is said or who did what, its certainly put me right off ever venturing onto rivers.

I have never heard or seen anything like that on a river, I wouldn't let it put you off.

Add missing word.

3 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I wouldn't worry they have had their annual outing now. You will be safe for the rest of this year.

31 minutes ago, Heartland said:

I used to think that rage was confined to roads these days. Yet river rage is still about and causing an issue, it would seem. Whatever the outcome of this encounter, and whatever the causes, there remains the danger where craft might sink and people might be hurt. There is also a case for a potential loss of licence, or licenses, I would suspect. 

My understanding is that canal and river rage goes right back to the earliest days of working boats when arguments would commonly break out over things like who got to a lock first and whos lock it was.

That said of course that was when livelihoods depended on such things.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

I wouldn't worry they have had their annual outing now. You will be safe for the rest of this year.

Until the next idiot on a powerful plastic starts his holiday. There’s  lots of speeding boats on the Trent just like there are lots of speeding boats on the canals, there just a tad faster on the Trent.

49 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Until the next idiot on a powerful plastic starts his holiday. There’s  lots of speeding boats on the Trent just like there are lots of speeding boats on the canals, there just a tad faster on the Trent.

U boaters using terminology  like ''plastic'' doesn't help.  ?

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I have heard or seen anything like that on a river, I wouldn't let it put you off.

Is that a double negative or a single nonsense?

Anyway, I'm sure it's not something you said earlier twice.

?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Is that a double negative or a single nonsense?

Anyway, I'm sure it's not something you said earlier twice.

?

It means I personally have never witnessed behaviour like that on a river and I certainly wouldn't let a single incident, that happens to have popped up on the internet disaude the person who I was responding to from going on rivers.

Does that make it a bit clearer for you?

Edit I inadvertently ommited 'never'.

10 minutes ago, MartynG said:

U boaters using terminology  like ''plastic'' doesn't help.  ?

You feel it's non - U, perhaps? Or have you spotted German submarines in the area?

What does the "P" in "GRP" stand for? I thought it was "plastic".

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

What does the "P" in "GRP" stand for? I thought it was "plastic".

O' Dear .............................

Glass Reinforced Polymer

Misuse has changed it to 'Plastic'. as the 'material' can be manufactured using differing 'plastics' as the polymer, eg Vinyl or epoxy or Polyester)

Edit to add :

Then there are all sorts of derivatives from FRP (Fibre Reinforced Polymer) to CRFP (Carbon Fibre Reinforced Polymer)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The P stands for Potato.

As other's have said, what happened before this incident is utterly irrelevant. Hope the potato boat person in charge gets dragged through whatever punishment is available. If the video recorder did something different then that should be dealt with too of course.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

O' Dear .............................

Glass Reinforced Polyester

Misuse has changed it to 'Plastic'. as the 'material' can be manufactured using differing 'plastics' as the polymer, eg Vinyl or epoxy in addition to Polyester)

Polyester can be a type of plastic.

https://gripclad.co.uk/useful-information/what-is-grp/

Edited by doratheexplorer

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

There are submarines on the Trent?    That's it I am never going again.

There was one many years ago on the Leeds and Liverpool.

29 minutes ago, sirweste said:

The P stands for Potato.

As other's have said, what happened before this incident is utterly irrelevant. Hope the potato boat person in charge gets dragged through whatever punishment is available. If the video recorder did something different then that should be dealt with too of course.

If two Potatoes can’t see eye to eye and wanna go at each other half baked then hopefully they’ll get the roasting they deserve. 
It’s the other spuds that could get mashed in their wake I feel sorry for. 

24 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

There was one many years ago on the Leeds and Liverpool.

Ha, that revives an old story. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

If two Potatoes can’t see eye to eye and wanna go at each other half baked then hopefully they’ll get the roasting they deserve. 
It’s the other spuds that could get mashed in their wake I feel sorry for. 

Ha, that revives an old story. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3033317/Self-styled-U-boat-captain-lived-narrowboat-converted-look-like-German-submarine-facing-jail-1million-VAT-fraud.html