River Trent Animosity

Joe Bourke

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

If it were up to me, he'd lose his licence for that.  No excuses.  But I do wonder what had gone on earlier.

My guess would be the dick on the cruiser had overtook too fast the guy on the other boat remonstrated with him as he passed. The dick on the cuiser decided to turn and go back to show that he can be an even bigger dick than he had already shown he can be. The guy realising this fired up the camera on his phone to film the dick's antics because he knew what was about to unfold.

All pure supposition of course.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

3 minutes ago, Detling said:

I thought Nick Hayward was a bit OTT, but as we don't know the full story....     were fingers or words involved before the video?

Fingers and words are just the stuff of handbag swinging.

That reaction was downright ruddy stupid and dangerous.

My guess is the cruiser skipper was probably pi$$ed.

9 minutes ago, Midnight said:

A bit silly really I don't think a plastic cruiser would do well if they collided

If the other boat was steel then yes.

according to Facebook the cruiser was out of Farndon Marina but they're not saying who was skippering it.

the boat taking the video hit the bottom due to the wash and is damaged and now stuck at Hazleford Lock.

it also says the filming boat had somehow caused the cruiser to smash contents and injure their pet before he turned round and video started.

sounds like bellendery on both sides, never like to see boat rage :( 

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

according to Facebook the cruiser was out of Farndon Marina but they're not saying who was skippering it.

the boat taking the video hit the bottom due to the wash and is damaged and now stuck at Hazleford Lock.

it also says the filming boat had somehow caused the cruiser to smash contents and injure their pet before he turned round and video started.

sounds like bellendery on both sides, never like to see boat rage :( 

I would love to know how filming another boat would cause any damage or injure a pet on board.

Sounds like 100% pure BS to me.

8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I would love to know how filming another boat would cause any damage or injure a pet on board.

i'm assuming whatever real or perceived sleight happened to the cruiser was well before the filming happened, he then responded like an idiot and the other boat began filming?

12 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

i'm assuming whatever real or perceived sleight happened to the cruiser was well before the filming happened, he then responded like an idiot and the other boat began filming?

I agree see my earlier post.

The issue is whether what happened justified the idiotic response.

There is a back story to this that you dont see in the video involving pets.

No excuse of course but it isn't as clear cut as made out by the "victim " who initially said his boat was fine until a go fund me page was set up and now it is suddenly damaged.

56 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The incident involving the pet occurred before this video was filmed hence why the video was started to be filmed before the boat was even around the corner!

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

A bit silly really I don't think a plastic cruiser would do well if they collided

I know which one would have failed up best if they had!

34 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I agree see my earlier post.

There's no justification for that response.  Anything could have happened, including loss of life.  If it was that bad, then it's a police matter, it can never be ok to do what that cruiser did.  If we start justifying that sort of thing, then the waterways become a free for all.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

There's no justification for that response.  Anything could have happened, including loss of life.  If it was that bad, then it's a police matter, it can never be ok to do what that cruiser did.  If we start justifying that sort of thing, then the waterways become a free for all.

I would definitely like to hear the full story, but yes it would appear to be indefensible.

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Can happen: many many moons ago at Gainsborough with plenty of fresh on the river. We had moored on the pontoon for a quick trip to the shops. We set off as soon as we returned (there was not a lot of room to manoeuvre at the best of times) when a cruiser came up at high speed and then tried to push in front of us as we were moving off. (We thought that they had also over nighted at the Fossdyke as we had) Of course the flow meant we were not able to exercise the same avoidance measures that we would otherwise have done and our side just caught the edge of their stern. Not much of a bump by narrowboat standards but a little later they came past, again using the max speed (which downstream was quite a lick) and started shouting. There was no way we could come alongside so pointed at the phone number on the side (no mobiles then) but they opted to rush off down to Torksey. Later when we passed through the lock we heard from the keeper that the boat crew had mouthed off to him without a lot of sympathy. Turns out that they had come up from the sea - probably with no permit/licence or whatever might have been needed to use CaRT facilities on the Fossdyke. In any event nothing more was heard by the boat owner (AFAIK) so perhaps they decided that they did not want to draw further attention to themselves!

High speed boats do seem to feel invincible - but narrowboats are harder than GRP.

10 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

But I do wonder what had gone on earlier.

10 hours ago, Detling said:

were fingers or words involved before the video?

7 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

What happened before filming commenced is irrelevant and should be dealt within isolation of what the film shows.

Two wrongs never make a right, they may explain the trail of events but never cancel each other out, nor do they justify any ass'ing about'ery.

That kind of behaviour requires following up and punishing, even if it is only a £5 fine.

Also if it's true that the boat owner is known and refuses to say who was responsible on the day then that also is unacceptable, you'd not get very far telling the fuzz that on the road.

4 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

What happened before filming commenced is irrelevant and should be dealt within isolation of what the film shows.

Two wrongs never make a right, they may explain the trail of events but never cancel each other out, nor do they justify any ass'ing about'ery.

That kind of behaviour requires following up and punishing, even if it is only a £5 fine.

Also if it's true that the boat owner is known and refuses to say who was responsible on the day then that also is unacceptable, you'd not get very far telling the fuzz that on the road.

Yes, I believe Ive already said much the same.