Canalside pubs with good social distancing measures in place

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Everards beer?

Plus at least 3 other breweries when we've been there.

Currently moored outside the Toby Carvery at Festival Park, Stoke. No sign of social distancing being enforced last night. Too many outside tables with several pushed together.

35 minutes ago, pearley said:

Plus at least 3 other breweries when we've been there.

Currently moored outside the Toby Carvery at Festival Park, Stoke. No sign of social distancing being enforced last night. Too many outside tables with several pushed together.

Hereby lies the problem. Probably a case of young inexperienced low paid staff who think ( Rightly ) its nowt to do with me why should I confront anyone and get hassle. Most pubs simply do not have the space to do the job properly, not their faults just a fact of life re the constraints of a building. Its the numpties who go to these places and dont comply that are the problem. Its all very safe if numpties dont attend, beaches being a prime example.

I think The Swan at Fradley needs a licensee and bar staff that actually care about their customers

Several pubs in Stone including the swan have closed voluntarily for the rest of the week after the debacle at the Crown and Anchor. I believe the Star and jdw are still open

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Visited The Greyhound at Hawkesbury Junction a couple of nights ago. I thought the measures and the staff were both very good indeed. Nice meal too. :)

I was talking to another boater who had been for a meal, said the same thing. He sat inside

On 29/07/2020 at 15:13, cuthound said:

The Crown and Anchor has closed again after causing a localised outbreak of CV-19

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-53577728

Here is the update https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/everything-know-crown-anchor-coronavirus-4381060

It is not possible to properly isolate in a pub .A shop,yes as you are in and out fairly quickly,but in a pub you may be breathing the same air as everyone else for a couple of hours or more.

It is nonsense to suggest that it is safe to go to a pub.

19 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

It is not possible to properly isolate in a pub .A shop,yes as you are in and out fairly quickly,but in a pub you may be breathing the same air as everyone else for a couple of hours or more.

It is nonsense to suggest that it is safe to go to a pub.

Many (most?), like the Greyhound I referred to earlier, are serving outdoors and setting a time limit. This, along with masked servers and table separation such as the Greyhound had also ensured, ought to make a visit "to" a pub pretty safe. I agree with your sentiment if you mean "in" a pub.

I’ve seen the extremes this week from a few measures to the bizarre. 
I’ve seen a bar completely enclosed in plastic with a clocking in and out machine. 
And I’ve been in a bar with just sticky tape over the stools pushed up against the bar and no requirement to sign in. 

The best thing to happen: Woodenspoons now clear their tables. My experience of Woodenspoons has always been having to clear the table of glasses and plates before sitting down. Now they clear everything away and wipe down surfaces. Progress.  ?

⁹We thought we would try a pub for the first time last night, went to the Wheatsheaf in Crick.

We fancied a pint outside the front, one other family there.

We had to walk round the back as the front door is exit only. Entering, we were instructed to sanitise our hands, and then follow the lady through sheets of plastic , through the rear bar, sealed off with sheets of plastic, through the front bar....again hidden in sheets of plastic, and then outside to a table of our choice where we were asked what we would like to drink.

The Bombadier was passable, Kathy's San Miguel better......the only bottle lager they had was Budweiser.

Trying to pay was interesting, with the card machine having to be held above head height for a signal.

We didnt stay for a 2nd .....not a pleasant experience.

On our way back to the boat, we tried the Moorings which was lovely, pleasant knowledgeable staff, canalside table and the sun came out, just as the Sauvignon Blanc arrived. The food we saw looked good, dinner was already in the oven though. Will stop for food on the way back.

Skimmed the thread but we had a pint at first the Kings Lock Inn (first time in a pub since March) and then the Shroppy Fly pub.

Both had competent one-way systems, with an in door and an out door, and as it was during nice weather the majority of the punters where outside. So we had the run of bar, in with good space, served in own glasses, out and back onto the boat. Sorted.

Kings lock also asked for first name and email address for track and trace purposes. 

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

We had a meal at the Plume of Feathers at Barlaston last night. Phoned to book a table inside (outside tables not bookable) normal procedure of taking a contact name and number when I booked. No one way system in and out of restaurant but need to wait to be seated. The tables were well spaced out. The VAT reduction has been passed on to customers so we enjoyed a large burger and a good steak for around £12 each. Good service and felt ‘safe’. Heading back to Fradley now - any update on the Swan? I guess the handover has taken place now? 

The Dragon,Willington is a bit of a mixed bag.

The outside terrace is partially covered and has  a large glass screen at one end of the sheltered section which gives views over the Visitor Mooring.There is table service ,and food can also be served at these tables.Although these external tables are quite close together ,the fresh air aspect should calm the nerves.It was a popular spot on a sunny Wednesday.However the situation inside is the polar opposite,no T&T ,packed,very popular with the local youth it felt dodgy until we forced some windows open.

Two real ales in OK nick ,Dancing Duck Ay Up and 22.However on observing the food which uses the deep fat fryer or reheated food service fare and was distinctly beige ,we pushed off and had a very good curry in The Waters Edge opposite the Post Office,with the Eat Out to Help Out discount thrown in.

Edited by Quaffer

1 hour ago, Quaffer said:

The Dragon,Willington is a bit of a mixed bag.

The outside terrace is partially covered and has  a large glass screen at one end of the sheltered section which gives views over the Visitor Mooring.There is table service ,and food can also be served at these tables.Although these external tables are quite close together ,the fresh air aspect should calm the nerves.It was a popular spot on a sunny Wednesday.However the situation inside is the polar opposite,no T&T ,packed,very popular with the local youth it felt dodgy until we forced some windows open.

Two real ales in OK nick ,Dancing Duck Ay Up and 22.However on observing the food which uses the deep fat fryer or reheated food service fare and was distinctly beige ,we pushed off and had a very good curry in The Waters Edge opposite the Post Office,with the Eat Out to Help Out discount thrown in.

The local chippy is pretty good as well !

The Narrowboat above Stowe Hill....decided to give the new owners a chance after years of rubbish service and overpriced and seriously under quality food(for the price charged).

Most of the local moorers and marina boat owners have avoided it for several years now.

Sanitizing posts as you walk in, good, staff in masks staring as you when you walk to the bar , not.

Beer, very overpriced, as always.

Not busy, as pissing down outside and empty gardens.

Tables in conservatory , limited to six, either side of the walkway, separated by flimsy plastic screens. Service was a bit rushed, trying to get our orders before the drinks came.

Menu was very limited, grills, fish and chips and vegetarian dishes, minimum spend was the pizzas at £12 for a Margherita.....toppings a lot extra.

The starters are quite acceptable Tapas style dishes, maybe this could be a good direction for the pub going forwards as the mains were very disappointing and expensive for what we were about to receive. 2 x fish and chips(which were actually soggy potato wedges), a small steak with 3 tomatoes and wedges, and a veggie pasta dish with a decent rocket side salad.

As soon as we said no desserts they were trying to evict us, although a last drinks order stemmed the flow...(this was about 9.30pm). 

We finally got the bill and settled, got home and looked at the receipt to see they had added an extra tea and 2 shots of Baileys at the end....exactly £10. Called immediately,  "Oh, sorry, Its one of those things that happens". 

OH no it doesnt.

I will be back up for a refund when you open. "Oh, OK, do you want cash , I will leave a note for the morning?"...

Got the refund without quibble, will we be going back, NO.

It's ridiculous, the last owners actively shunned boaters and the marina, dont they think a loyalty card or something wouldnt improve their low season income.

Or have they been assured by Charles Wells that they are they so sure that a few hot summer afternoons with a dj blasting out over the local countryside can pay their rents..

• Horror 1

We had a meal in The Jolly Boatman at Thrupp last night, they were well spaced out and lots of signage and the food was very good. They took contact details when we booked a table as we wanted to sit inside, they had lots of seating outside as well for walk ups.