Canalside pubs with good social distancing measures in place

Featured Posts

I know it's a bit of a dead end at the moment, but The Waterfront, Union Wharf at Market Harborough, was very good. We popped in for a meal on the 6th of July. This was a Monday, so quiet anyway, but we were asked for ID and our contact details were recorded. Very happy with the compliance and enjoyed a relaxed meal and a few drinks. We had the visitor moorings to ourselves.

On 23/07/2020 at 18:13, mrsmelly said:

Going to the Bell at Lower Heyford in an hour for a meal, 

Is that the one which is reached by walking across fields behind Oxfordshire N/Bs, a stone building in a sort of courtyard? We went there for the first time in 2019 and had dinner there, simple meal (which is what we wanted) in a lovely characterful pub, it was like stepping back in time.

34 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is that the one which is reached by walking across fields behind Oxfordshire N/Bs, a stone building in a sort of courtyard? We went there for the first time in 2019 and had dinner there, simple meal (which is what we wanted) in a lovely characterful pub, it was like stepping back in time.

Indeed it is!!

8 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Oh yeah sorry old bean. Well they were fairly busy so there were not enough staff to serve quickly. However I dont go to be rushed and the food is now lovely, moooooooooooocho better than the chips and chicken ding of before. I always liked The Bell as a good friend of mine ran it for years and now another friend has taken it over and has gone to a proper chef rather than wetherspoons type junk. So yes its well worth a visit. The beer was good more importantly and the serving wenches very pretty so whats not to like. Oh and the ebola regulations were all in place :cheers:

Went there many years ago and enjoyed it

4 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Just had a nice meal at Lock26 in Aston marina. No real ale at the moment but food and wine good.

Not cheap but it's our first meal out since lockdown down so who cares. 

Take your temp on the way in and all staff wearing ppe

Do you know, or perhaps you are about to find out, the state of the pubs in Stone?

The Swan and the Star would be good starts if you can help me.

13 hours ago, frahkn said:

Do you know, or perhaps you are about to find out, the state of the pubs in Stone?

The Crown and Anchor has closed again after causing a localised outbreak of CV-19

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-53577728

If you are looking for good social distancing The Folly at Napton should tick a lot of boxes.The actual pub building is closed but the team have set up in the large garden below the canal with several tents and lots of bench seating all socially distanced.Get a table number,order and pay for your drink and/or food at a one way bar area,then it's brought to your table.Two real ales on Hook Norton Hooky and North Cotswold Shagweaver in a plastic mug ,decent enough but £4pp.

There is a track and trace form to fill out but this wasn't insisted on at the bar (I paid by card),but then  I was outside rather than in a covered area.Clearly if the heavens opened this place won't work as the covered area was small relative to the busy garden,but the presence of a folk singer helped create additional atmosphere.

Edited by Quaffer

3 hours ago, Quaffer said:

If you are looking for good social distancing The Folly at Napton should tick a lot of boxes.The actual pub building is closed but the team have set up in the large garden below the canal with several tents and lots of bench seating all socially distanced.Get a table number,order and pay for your drink and/or food at a one way bar area,then it's brought to your table.Two real ales on Hook Norton Hooky and North Cotswold Shagweaver in a plastic mug ,decent enough but £4pp.

There is a track and trace form to fill out but this wasn't insisted on at the bar (I paid by card),but then  I was outside rather than in a covered area.Clearly if the heavens opened this place won't work as the covered area was small relative to the busy garden,but the presence of a folk singer helped create additional atmosphere.

Do you need to book a table as per lots of pubs?

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Do you need to book a table as per lots of pubs?

We went to the Folly last Friday, as has been said it is all in the garden and they have a bar in a marquee.  There is no booking possible, first come.  The info in all on their Facebook page.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

If you were going to napton you went the wrong way ferfucsake. The mask goes over your mouth not eyes. 
Did the boat shrink in the wash as well as change colour?

It was  good to see you and Dr Sue again. Mrs Bob waved but she didn't have a scubies it was you two. I don't know. Who can miss the front of your boat coming? Bit busy down that stretch today. 

No it's 3 ft longer! Must try and organize a beer sometime soon. We'll be pootling around locally for the next 4 weeks then off for a two month trip somewhere.

On 29/07/2020 at 01:27, frahkn said:

Sorry, I only visited The Borehole which is the Lymestone Brewery Tap. They have ppe and a one way system and table service only, inside or out. Very organised and delicious beer.

25 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Sorry, I only visited The Borehole which is the Lymestone Brewery Tap. They have ppe and a one way system and table service only, inside or out. Very organised and delicious beer.

that's fine, thanks for the reply.

We went to the Swan at Fradley last night, early doors. Lots of outside tables and a one way system to the bar. No ID checked but we ate and drank outside. Rumour has it that it’s changing hands in 3 weeks. 

1 hour ago, Beo said:

We went to the Swan at Fradley last night, early doors. Lots of outside tables and a one way system to the bar. No ID checked but we ate and drank outside. Rumour has it that it’s changing hands in 3 weeks. 

Frankly, it needs to. It's gone down hill.

29 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Frankly, it needs to. It's gone down hill.

That's a shame, we were planning on stopping there in a couple of weeks' time ?

What's gone wrong with it?

3 hours ago, IanD said:

That's a shame, we were planning on stopping there in a couple of weeks' time ?

What's gone wrong with it?

Our drinks and food were perfectly acceptable, even if a little overpriced. 

21 hours ago, Beo said:

Turned our first numpty away here yesterday. Asked him to text his name to our data base for track and trace which is what EVERY other of the thousands of visitors have done since its incepetion. No chance comes the reply I am not taking part in any track and trace system. Bye bye we says poiltely you aint getting served here. Off he trotts in his sign written van with telefone number on the side :lol: what a peelock.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 2