Canalside pubs with good social distancing measures in place

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Pig place licence is 8am. I didn't take ur details as I know who u are so your very special ?

Well I know Mrs. Athy has an honest face but I thought I might have to help you with your enquiries.

The white hart in Wytham (an easy walk from the many moorings between Godstow and Kings locks) had excellent social distancing in place last weekend when i went. Plenty of outside space and 4 person tables with roofs.

• Greenie 1

I'm not aware of many canalside Spoonies but we used to be fairly frequent diners, however not this year - yet.

There's no VAT reduction on beer but the appalling Mr Martin made us chuckle with this short menu. 

30704994-0-image-a-1_1594639777060.jpg.149a456795975b9a7f629446cb7a61c1.jpg

3 minutes ago, jeanb said:

I'm not aware of many canalside Spoonies but we used to be fairly frequent diners, however not this year - yet.

There's no VAT reduction on beer but the appalling Mr Martin made us chuckle with this short menu. 

30704994-0-image-a-1_1594639777060.jpg.149a456795975b9a7f629446cb7a61c1.jpg

There is a ‘spoons right by the canal at Merry Hill. We went in for a cooked breakfast before tackling Delph and Stourbridge and there where plenty of people in there drinking alcohol at 9am.

19 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

No different to catching it at the supermarket and having to self isolate though.

Our supermarkets don't take name and number,  but do prefer plastic payment so could check whose been. 

Edited by Mike Todd

48 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Our supermarkets don't take name and number,  but do prefer plastic payment so could check whose been. 

Exactly the point I was making. In any supermarket you can have people merrily spreading Covid around and no one taking details. Some might even pay by cash and be less traceable. 

Pubs are at least making some effort to keep customers traceable for 21 days.

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Or in a Church for instance.

I don't plan on going there ether. I remember the news report on TV where the Russian doctor was saying you couldn't catch it in church, that was when Russia first had its first outbreaks 

11 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

A valid paper licence?

Many years ago I was asked to accompany the police to the police station as I was suspected of breaking and entering. (It was my house) The police were quite happy to use my paper driving licence as proof of identity. When everyone was happy I pointed out to them that I could just as well have picked that licence up in the house they thought I was burgling. (The people across the road called the law) 

11 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Pig place licence is 8am. I didn't take ur details as I know who u are so your very special ?

You just didn't want to upset the site mod. ?

Went to the Boat Inn ...top of Stockton..last night. One way system through the bar. Looks very good but it was ultra quiet...i.e. a wet Monday night. Food execelent as usual and a really nice draft beer....but I think I now prefer the bottles I get from Aldi or direct from the breweries!!!!!

On 14/07/2020 at 08:16, Dr Bob said:

Went to the Boat Inn ...top of Stockton..last night. One way system through the bar. Looks very good but it was ultra quiet...i.e. a wet Monday night. Food execelent as usual and a really nice draft beer....but I think I now prefer the bottles I get from Aldi or direct from the breweries!!!!!

I popped into The Boat Inn on Wednesday evening and was reasonably impressed with their social distancing measures with a well signed one way system and a "Wait to be Seated " sign so that you can be directed to a cleaned table by the staff.There was a lot less furniture inside compared with previous visits.There is also a substantial rear beer garden as well as quite a few benches overlooking the canal at the front.Two real ales available namely Nethergate Venture and Augustinian Amber Ale ,hardly likely to get the pulse racing but decent enough.There were a few punters inside,more outside with food available so this pub should tick the box for the OP.

On 18/07/2020 at 00:20, Timx said:

As long as none of the staff have the virus, you will probably not get it from another customer., possibly.

Absolutely right. We went to a canal side pub for a meal yesterday and I said to my wife, if the server has got it then we will probably now have it. Haphazard mask wearing and insufficient social distancing.

However, we agreed that she almost certainly wasn’t infected (stats), we would probably survive is she was (stats again) and we would be told via Track and Trace if she was.

In the end, we have to judge the risks and live our lives.

Edited by Peter Thornton

The White Swan at Torksey had excellent social distancing measures in place at the weekend. They looked to be doing a roaring trade with takeaway food and drink which we were told has been very popular with the residents at the Park Home sites across the road.

The pub itself was reasonably busy, possibly the busiest we have been in yet. The tables were well spaced out both inside and out and they had a one way system in place through the pub.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, George and Dragon said:

Not by the government, anyway. Your bank is keeping an eye on you and if you use a loyalty card so is the supermarket. 

Your mobile phone knows exactly where you have been and when.

No need for bank cards or loyalty cards. 

9 hours ago, Peter Thornton said:

Absolutely right. We went to a canal side pub for a meal yesterday and I said to my wife, if the server has got it then we will probably now have it. Haphazard mask wearing and insufficient social distancing.

However, we agreed that she almost certainly wasn’t infected (stats), we would probably survive is she was (stats again) and we would be told via Track and Trace if she was.

In the end, we have to judge the risks and live our lives.

And if she was and you were contacted by Track and Trace how would that help you,( I think half of them have it at the moment https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-53465160) you would ether have it or you wouldn't. Telling you wont help you but it may help others   

On 23/07/2020 at 18:13, mrsmelly said:

Going to the Bell at Lower Heyford in an hour for a meal, taking some family. Heard good things since Dave took it over. Will report back later :cheers:

Come on Tim, the suspense is unbearable ?

22 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Come on Tim, the suspense is unbearable ?

Oh yeah sorry old bean. Well they were fairly busy so there were not enough staff to serve quickly. However I dont go to be rushed and the food is now lovely, moooooooooooocho better than the chips and chicken ding of before. I always liked The Bell as a good friend of mine ran it for years and now another friend has taken it over and has gone to a proper chef rather than wetherspoons type junk. So yes its well worth a visit. The beer was good more importantly and the serving wenches very pretty so whats not to like. Oh and the ebola regulations were all in place :cheers: