Canalside pubs with good social distancing measures in place

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, MHS said:

I hope these pubs are asking for ID when people check in rather than just taking their name and number. If the latter, there's obvious scope here to give false details thus removing the risk of being told to self isolate.

But that would also mean you won't know if you have been exposed, so you might unknowingly pass it on to your children, siblings, parents, grandparents etc.  So its a bit of a double-edged sword...

49 minutes ago, Cheese said:

But that would also mean you won't know if you have been exposed, so you might unknowingly pass it on to your children, siblings, parents, grandparents etc.  So its a bit of a double-edged sword...

Absolutely agree. I’m not suggesting that you do it, but it does mean you wouldn’t be as safe as you might hope, if others do it. 

1 hour ago, MHS said:

Absolutely agree. I’m not suggesting that you do it, but it does mean you wouldn’t be as safe as you might hope, if others do it. 

Everybody we have asked have adhered to the easy policy as instructed without exception and we have been very very busy. Everyone having a life and keeping safe. 

46 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Everybody we have asked have adhered to the easy policy as instructed without exception and we have been very very busy. Everyone having a life and keeping safe. 

Is it policy that pubs have to ask for ID rather than trust customers to give the correct details?

11 hours ago, MHS said:

I hope these pubs are asking for ID when people check in rather than just taking their name and number. If the latter, there's obvious scope here to give false details thus removing the risk of being told to self isolate.

We have not been asked for ID as of yet but are not really sure why you would give false details anyway.

They have been asking for the name and phone number of one person in a group.

Not a problem if they did ask for ID as one of us usually has at least a driving license on us. 

10 minutes ago, MHS said:

Is it policy that pubs have to ask for ID rather than trust customers to give the correct details?

No. They have to take the name and contact number of one person in each group. Nothing else.

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have not been asked for ID as of yet but are not really sure why you would give false details anyway.

Because some selfish people will feel they want to enjoy their pint without the risk of being contacted later if an issue occurs. 

2 minutes ago, MHS said:

Because some selfish people will feel they want to enjoy their pint without the risk of being contacted later if an issue occurs. 

I think you are reading too much into a situation that just isnt there!

All of the pubs we have been in have been exceptionally quiet. People are really not going out in general. 

You don't have to give any contact details at the supermarket and you are from what we have seen at considerably more risk at catching it there than at the pub!

46 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not a problem if they did ask for ID as one of us usually has at least a driving license on us. 

No. They have to take the name and contact number of one person in each group. Nothing else.

I the fear is of losing income told to isolate 

1 hour ago, MHS said:

No just tel number and name and only one of each group at each visit to the premises. To be fair everyone here has complied without question and in a friendly manner. It's not a problem here as people are just so happy to have a life. However I would think it may be different at a numpty pub in a town centre on a weekend night? 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, jake_crew said:

I have a paper driving license, kept safe at home.

I had one of them but they won't let you keep it once you are 70, its OK for you youngsters

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

And then they are breaking the Data Protection Act if you object to them holding your data. Just saying

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

And then they are breaking the Data Protection Act if you object to them holding your data. Just saying

If you object to them holding your data ref. the GDPR, that is absolutely your right. But you won’t be allowed in for a pint!

• Greenie 1

The last research I saw on the BBC suggested that only 2 out of 10 people were happy to go out and eat/drink.

We are still in the 8 out of 10, and will be for a while yet.

9 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The last research I saw on the BBC suggested that only 2 out of 10 people were happy to go out and eat/drink.

We are still in the 8 out of 10, and will be for a while yet.

On the news now that even the big boys takings now open are still down 50 percent, that is unsustainable for the industry. Some of the problems are though the fault of the venue, for instance just down the cut from here is a megga popular pub known to many boaters and locals for good food, it was always very busy and booking needed and it has just reopened. We send peeps down there and indeed boaters have pulled in over the weekend who have been in and said never again due to the staff/owners abysmal attitude and draconium measures, its simply not worth visiting any more. They have built their business over near on twenty years and will destroy it in twenty weeks as bad news travels much faster than good. Its a hard one to deal with now for such places.

• Greenie 1

In addition to Name etc. Some pubs, i think, are taking bookings. A friend wrote that a pub in Fleet had, amongst others, 38 groups of people that had booked didn't turn up. I would feel the need to take a deposit when accepting bookings. Shame innit?

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

No just tel number and name and only one of each group at each visit to the premises. 

I don't remember this happening on our visit to the Pig Place bar.

On 12/07/2020 at 07:43, MHS said:

What a vivid imagination you have!

19 hours ago, jake_crew said:

Being a stroppy old goat I don't have I/D.

I have a paper driving license, kept safe at home.

I have a passport too, but nothing with name address AND photo on it.

A valid paper licence?

15 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I think you are reading too much into a situation that just isnt there!

All of the pubs we have been in have been exceptionally quiet. People are really not going out in general. 

You don't have to give any contact details at the supermarket and you are from what we have seen at considerably more risk at catching it there than at the pub!

Your experience is personal to you.

I've seen pubs which are rammed full!

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

On the news now that even the big boys takings now open are still down 50 percent, that is unsustainable for the industry. Some of the problems are though the fault of the venue, for instance just down the cut from here is a megga popular pub known to many boaters and locals for good food, it was always very busy and booking needed and it has just reopened. We send peeps down there and indeed boaters have pulled in over the weekend who have been in and said never again due to the staff/owners abysmal attitude and draconium measures, its simply not worth visiting any more. They have built their business over near on twenty years and will destroy it in twenty weeks as bad news travels much faster than good. Its a hard one to deal with now for such places.

We have said each time we went in a pub last week that it just isn't worth them opening.

Most had more staff then customers. We were the only customers in the Cosy Club in Lincoln city centre at 2pm on Saturday. The place would normally be heaving at that time and was obviously staffed to suit a normal weekend turn around.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Can you not conceive of people giving false details?  It's been widely self-reported as happening commonly.

:D

People are reporting themselves? How very honest of them.

I haven't been into the local McSpoons since reopening but glancing in while walking past the usual suspects are there with their pints of John Smiths in front of them at 10am.

I was told by a friend that they only did 21 breakfasts the other day.

I called in to the pub across the road on Saturday. I was one of only 4 customers. Beer served in those horrible flimsy plastic containers (I don't want to call them glasses)

I don't think I'll be calling in again in a hurry.

1 minute ago, Victor Vectis said:

I haven't been into the local McSpoons since reopening but glancing in while walking past the usual suspects are there with their pints of John Smiths in front of them at 10am.

Do U.K. licensing hours start as early as that? Though it is some years since I went to pubs during the day, I thought that they were from 11 a.m. during the week and 12 noon on Sundays. Perhaps "McSpoons" have a special arrangement with the licensing authorities.;

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Do U.K. licensing hours start as early as that? Though it is some years since I went to pubs during the day, I thought that they were from 11 a.m. during the week and 12 noon on Sundays. Perhaps "McSpoons" have a special arrangement with the licensing authorities.;

Pig place licence is 8am. I didn't take ur details as I know who u are so your very special ?