Canalside pubs with good social distancing measures in place

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Keeping Up said:

Interesting - which branch was that? Our local (Milton Keynes) Tesco was rigidly enforcing all those rules yesterday. 

Hemsworth. They were still doing everything 'properly' on Saturday. I suspect the store manger has a great deal of discretion about how well these measures are implemented until someone complains.

6 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

At the end of the day risk comes with life, the vast majority are at a very low risk of dying from this virus. It seems more and more people just want to get on with life now and ignore the rhetoric from hypercritical politicians.

Dying, or passing it on to someone else who may then die, may not be the only consequence of catching it if this is to be believed...  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53269391 . Not just old folk either.

And there's this as well... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/531938

These are people who are seriously affected by the virus but don't actually die so they remain hidden statistics. It may well turn out that, just like in road accidents, the death statistics are only the tip of the iceberg with many more peop!e suffering life-changing consequences.

Anyway, we're off for a week on the boat from tomorrow. A visit to The Folly at Napton may be worth considering. From what I have read the building itself is out of bounds (very small inside) but the very large garden, including undercover areas, is open for business. Sounds like it should be safe enough.

I still doubt if we will go though. The chance of catching it would probably be extremely low but if Mrs LR did catch it there is a very real possibility she would not survive it so I doubt if I could persuade her to go. It I were to plot this on a risk severity matrix for us the likelihood would be very low but the consequence could well be critical. 

15 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Dying, or passing it on to someone else who may then die, may not be the only consequence of catching it if this is to be believed...  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53269391 . Not just old folk either.

And there's this as well... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/531938

These are people who are seriously affected by the virus but don't actually die so they remain hidden statistics. It may well turn out that, just like in road accidents, the death statistics are only the tip of the iceberg with many more peop!e suffering life-changing consequences.

Anyway, we're off for a week on the boat from tomorrow. A visit to The Folly at Napton may be worth considering. From what I have read the building itself is out of bounds (very small inside) but the very large garden, including undercover areas, is open for business. Sounds like it should be safe enough.

I still doubt if we will go though. The chance of catching it would probably be extremely low but if Mrs LR did catch it there is a very real possibility she would not survive it so I doubt if I could persuade her to go. It I were to plot this on a risk severity matrix for us the likelihood would be very low but the consequence could well be critical. 

Probably best you stay at home wrapped in a plastic bubble then. She may catch it from a lock gate, a bin handle, a passerby on the tow path sneezing,.......

Just put life on hold forever just in case.

• Unimpressed 1

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

Probably best you stay at home wrapped in a plastic bubble then. She may catch it from a lock gate, a bin handle, a passerby on the tow path sneezing,.......

Thanks, most helpful. I wondered who would be first, might have guessed it would be you.

• Greenie 2

32 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Oh dear.

?

1 hour ago, George and Dragon said:

Hemsworth. They were still doing everything 'properly' on Saturday. I suspect the store manger has a great deal of discretion about how well these measures are implemented until someone complains.

Hemsworth do a good click and collect. 

1 hour ago, Lily Rose said:

- with many more peop!e suffering life-changing consequences.

About 67 million of us are suffering life changing consequences, some more than others, but still 67 million. I feel much of the suffering is as much caused by the media as the virus itself, maybe more so. The psychological effects of ‘self isolation’ is especially damaging to the elderly.

11 hours ago, nicknorman said:

It all seems a bit illogical. Pubs etc have to have social distancing measures which reduce their footfall and income, whilst they need to have increased staff for table service. And yet it doesn’t seem to make any difference. When someone comes in with CV, others get it and the pub has to be closed. What is the point of the social distancing measures? Is it just the government pandering to the public to make them feel secure even though they aren’t? A motivation that they need to be seen to be doing something?

I wonder how many Tesco or London Underground have been closed down

11 hours ago, Athy said:

We went for our first British drink this year on Sunday, to The Pig Place beside the Oxford Canal near Adderbury. There was evidence of sensible precautions: for example, a barrier in front of the counter over which we had to lean to pick up our drinks, and rectangular tables turned through 90 degrees to give more distance between facing pairs of settees. The "glasses" were single-use plastic, though they may always be anyway, and the barman obviously knew the recommended procedures.

We felt quite safe having a drink there, though we would not recommend it in bad weather as it is totally outdoors. They stock a range of Hook Norton beers, which is a further plus point, and a draught cider which Mrs. Athy appreciated.

EDIT: my and Mrsmelly's posts crossed.

Missed you by some twenty hours Mike. Can thoroughly recommend the Pig Place. Really pleasant people who work hard to achieve an enjoyable, unusual experience. Social distancing is high on the agenda. Hook Norton beers are palatable. Hot food available and a farm shop selling amongst other items that you’d expect, Pig that has become Pork.

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Missed you by some twenty hours Mike. Can thoroughly recommend the Pig Place. Really pleasant people who work hard to achieve an enjoyable, unusual experience. Social distancing is high on the agenda. Hook Norton beers are palatable. Hot food available and a farm shop selling amongst other items that you’d expect, Pig that has become Pork.

Did you enjoy any of the pork?

I thought you were of the view that proper pork tastes a bit too "piggy"!

1 hour ago, Lily Rose said:

Did you enjoy any of the pork?

I thought you were of the view that proper pork tastes a bit too "piggy"!

Some proper pork definitely tastes piggy. How are you and the family Sean?

All good thanks Martyn. Missus has been shielding for months after getting the "extremely vulnerable" letter from her GP but we've recently been out to see the grandchildren and also had a day out on the boat. Tomorrow we'll start a one week spell but only staying on the long pound above the locks.

Daughter and grandkids have been much happier during lockdown because her now ex hubby has been "away" throughout. That has made us a lot happier too with less to worry about. We just have to hope that the judge will decide later this month that further time away is called for.

I'm not sure what we'll do this summer but I doubt we'll go far. Maybe down to the Banbury area in August as we went the other direction last year. It partly depends on what happens with the ex SIL.

Hope all is well with you and Mrs NIghtwatch. I see you have been down (almost) to our neck of the woods recently. I take it you didn't venture on to the river?

Maybe we'll get a chance for a socially-distanced beer-enhanced catch up when you get back up the junction. Any idea when that is likely to be?

21 hours ago, john6767 said:

We went to the Greyhound last night, just drinks though, but the food looked fine.

You have a choice of 2 areas, the marquee which is accross the front of the pub, or the garden at the side of the pub.  With dodgy weather the the marquee is clearly the best choice, it has transparent sides so you can see the junction.  The inside of the pub is not open at all.  We did not use the toilets, we brought our own, But you are sent round the back to the car park, and take some sort of token thing with you, don’t know how it works, just what we saw happening.

We did not book, as when we looked when we were half an hour away there was only the 9 to 11 slot available, but it said they are keeping some tables for walk up, so we tried that and got in no trouble.  When we were greeted had to give a name and phone number for track and trace, and a squirt of hand sanitiser.  The staff are all wearing masks, no requirement on customers.

On the table is a QR code that you scan on you phone and it takes you to the online ordering system, which you will need to register for, but it is painless.  Make certain you have Apple Pay or the Google equivalent already set up as that will be used for paying.  All very painless, and you do all the food and drink ordering on you phone and it is brought to you.  If you don’t have a smart phone I think they will do the order for you, but you have to have a contactless credit card, as that is the only payment they are taking.

Had a good meal at The Greyhound today. Very much as above. On entrance you are asked to sanitise your hands and are then guided to your table and order taken from a "Single use menu." 

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Ray T said:

Had a good meal at The Greyhound today. Very much as above. On entrance you are asked to sanitise your hands and are then guided to your table and order taken from a "Single use menu." 

We came past The Greyhound at lunchtime today but there wasn't any slots available to book when I looked last night so we didn't stop. The covered area out the front looked well done and given today's weather much appreciated I'm sure.

39 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We came past The Greyhound at lunchtime today but there wasn't any slots available to book when I looked last night so we didn't stop. The covered area out the front looked well done and given today's weather much appreciated I'm sure.

I bet there was  plenty of space available in the garden ?

We went into Braunston this lunch time, the plan being to visit the Admiral Nelson as it reopens today, but the weather made that a no go, as I think it is just the restaurant inside, and today is not a day to sit outside.  So instead as there was space on their mooring we went into the Boat House.  Their signage is a bit contradictory but basically you go in the front sanitize your hands and get shown to a table.  No technology in play for ordering, waiter takes your drinks order.  No contact details taken, but on the way out we spotted a QR code to scan to leave your details, but that was not mentioned by the staff.  Never seen the place look so clean though!

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

We went into Braunston this lunch time, the plan being to visit the Admiral Nelson as it reopens today, but the weather made that a no go, as I think it is just the restaurant inside, and today is not a day to sit outside.  So instead as there was space on their mooring we went into the Boat House.  Their signage is a bit contradictory but basically you go in the front sanitize your hands and get shown to a table.  No technology in play for ordering, waiter takes your drinks order.  No contact details taken, but on the way out we spotted a QR code to scan to leave your details, but that was not mentioned by the staff.  Never seen the place look so clean though!

We didn't spot the QR code when we were there and never thought to ask the staff about leaving our details. I did pay via contactless card so I presume if needed they could trace me through the card provider.

Had lunch in the Boat at Stoke Bruerne today.

They are taking the measures seriously.

One way system, lots of sanitiser, names and phone numbers taken, front "snug bars" closed, plastic screens between tables, staff wearing masks - all good stuff.

Three meals and three pints for about £35.   Excellent.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

The Anglers at Saxilby has excellent measures in place. We have enjoyed a couple of drinks this afternoon. 

No food as usual but Smith's chippy over the road was open so we had a fish and chips dinner after.

And what good Chips they are to

I hope these pubs are asking for ID when people check in rather than just taking their name and number. If the latter, there's obvious scope here to give false details thus removing the risk of being told to self isolate.

Well we pulled up outside the Cape in Warwick on Friday pm but we shocked to see that you could only book a table (presumably outside as too small inside) if you were in a group of four or over!!! If you we only 2, then you had to ring them to see if they could fit you in!). Sod that for a game of soldiers. Discrimination against couples is not what I expect from a decent pub. That is purely profit driven and not providing a service to customers. That will make me think twice before going in next time....if there is a next time. Actually, it's been a few years since I have been in there as we tend to go into Saltisford and walk into town for meals....but Saltisford is still on lockdown - spoke to Ian on Friday and he says most of the winter moorers are still there so they are all isolating. Their fat day boat seems to be blocking the entrance. That's a real shame. He said they are closed for the year!

we did Hopwood House near Alvechurch last Sunday and that was fine. Table service. Lots of staff so getting another round in was easy. Nice food.

We've booked a table in the Boat (top of Stockton) for Monday night so interesting to see how that pans out. 

7 hours ago, MHS said:

I hope these pubs are asking for ID when people check in rather than just taking their name and number. If the latter, there's obvious scope here to give false details thus removing the risk of being told to self isolate.

There was a report that Dido discovered that after the regulations were published.

Edited by Mike Todd