Canalside pubs with good social distancing measures in place

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The Dorothy Pax is the same as your pub Tim all outside so its naturally safe, I can foresee pubs that are indoor based being continually being closed for deep cleaning after a covid case is reported just act of life

I was wondering wether we'll see a difference between air-conditioned pubs and non-air-conditioned pubs... assuming there's ever enough transmission there to produce  useful data. Or that you can ever prove where transmission occurred.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

The Dorothy Pax is the same as your pub Tim all outside so its naturally safe, I can foresee pubs that are indoor based being continually being closed for deep cleaning after a covid case is reported just act of life

Yes looks really safe, this is what is’s been like down there over the last few weeks, all started by a lax “take away” system of cans and bottled beer, now they just bring their own. Not a place I would recommend with this lot hanging around

1CBE84D8-B3EE-42C2-A4EF-B3101570DF2C.png

Edited by PD1964

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Yes looks really safe, this is what is’s been like down there over the last few weeks, all started by a lax “take away” system of cans and bottled beer, now they just bring their own. Not a place I would recommend with this lot hanging around

1CBE84D8-B3EE-42C2-A4EF-B3101570DF2C.png

He closed down after that and the drinkers concerned had brought their own drinks! Even after he was closed the idiots still continued coming! the police came down and can verify it along with pictures from across the road. Why not post the pictures from saturday? when the pub opened with a sitting only area?

Just now, peterboat said:

He closed down after that and the drinkers concerned had brought their own drinks! Even after he was closed the idiots still continued coming! the police came down and can verify it along with pictures from across the road. Why not post the pictures from saturday? when the pub opened with a sitting only area?

But this has been what it has been like over the last few weeks, I know I live there and there has been a lot of complaints to CaRT about it, everyone is fed up with it. That’s why boaters are leaving, the area is not the same, as I say I live there and know what has happened over the last few month.

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

But this has been what it has been like over the last few weeks, I know I live there and there has been a lot of complaints to CaRT about it, everyone is fed up with it. That’s why boaters are leaving, the area is not the same, as I say I live there and know what has happened over the last few month.

So what is he supposed to do? pay his rent and go bankrupt? Or use his takeaway license and continue trading? When he closed the idiots still came down with cans to drink, thats not his fault its the police that have to do sonething about it. Where are the pictures of Saturday and Sunday?

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

So what is he supposed to do? pay his rent and go bankrupt? Or use his takeaway license and continue trading? When he closed the idiots still came down with cans to drink, thats not his fault its the police that have to do sonething about it. Where are the pictures of Saturday and Sunday?

If it's on his land, then surely he's responsible?

Just now, doratheexplorer said:

If it's on his land, then surely he's responsible?

No it belongs to CRT but they have always been happy for him to provide seating for visitors, if it was his he could get them lifted by the police

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

The problem was created when he sold carry out bottles and cans and all they did was go sit on the benches and get drunk,  now they just bring there own and sit around in groups and get drunk. it is a public area and this is the problem. CaRT are aware of it but no one is taking responsibility, as I say the whole atmosphere of the Quays has changed over the last few months for the worst. Sorry to say.

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

No it belongs to CRT but they have always been happy for him to provide seating for visitors, if it was his he could get them lifted by the police

It’s not owned by CaRT it’s VQMC which CaRT are a part of, he has never had permission for the seated area, no one has they have always just done it. 

22 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Trying The Greyhound tomorrow, first time since March 18th,

Had to book on line, £5 deposit returnable on order. 

Food will be served outside only under open marquee's.

Will let you know.

We went to the Greyhound last night, just drinks though, but the food looked fine.

You have a choice of 2 areas, the marquee which is accross the front of the pub, or the garden at the side of the pub.  With dodgy weather the the marquee is clearly the best choice, it has transparent sides so you can see the junction.  The inside of the pub is not open at all.  We did not use the toilets, we brought our own, But you are sent round the back to the car park, and take some sort of token thing with you, don’t know how it works, just what we saw happening.

We did not book, as when we looked when we were half an hour away there was only the 9 to 11 slot available, but it said they are keeping some tables for walk up, so we tried that and got in no trouble.  When we were greeted had to give a name and phone number for track and trace, and a squirt of hand sanitiser.  The staff are all wearing masks, no requirement on customers.

On the table is a QR code that you scan on you phone and it takes you to the online ordering system, which you will need to register for, but it is painless.  Make certain you have Apple Pay or the Google equivalent already set up as that will be used for paying.  All very painless, and you do all the food and drink ordering on you phone and it is brought to you.  If you don’t have a smart phone I think they will do the order for you, but you have to have a contactless credit card, as that is the only payment they are taking.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Sad to say Peter it’s the worst I’ve seen it there at the minute with anti-social behaviour, which has only started since lock down,  there seams to be an incident every other day. Hopefully it will all go back to normal and we can all enjoy the Quays again and have a drink without the drunks and fingers crossed the DPx can get back to normal being the pub Richard and Simon have worked so hard to build. It’s so fustrating. Take it easy.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

We went out Sunday afternoon to judge the lie of the land. The pub we chose is privately owned by a small brewer. He's got three outlets. The owner is following all government advice, PPE for staff, sanitiser for all customers, table service only. It looked really good until the regulars turned up. Crusty old men who hadn't seen their mates for ages. Much shaking of hands and slapping of backs whilst reflecting on how good it was to get back to normal.

Wandered down the road and things were much different. No sign of PPE and we were free to wander up to the bar if we wished. Speaking to one or two people they said they wouldn't be going back to the first pub because things were too strict.

I noticed that you leave your name and phone number and they no what time you arrive but there is no record of how long you were there for. Potentially, hundreds of people could be asked to isolate for no good reason.

The Malcolm Arms at Antons Gowt is open and has very good precautionary measures in place.

We have also found the Kings Arms and White Hart in Boston although not canalside but not a long walk away to be very good with excellent measures in place. 

It has been nice to have a change of scenery and we have felt very safe and very well looked after in all three establishments. 

None have been busy and all are reporting business to be very slow but they are making an effort and we are happy to support them in these difficult trading times.

• Greenie 1

We went up to Springwood Haven 10 days ago and back last week. On the towpath outside the Anchor at Hartshill were 2 picnic tables, just at the point where the towpath narrows and the VMs begin. On both occasions there were several people sitting and others, mainly cyclists, struggling to get by. I suggested to CRT they get the pub to move them off the canalside. Anyone notice if it was done?

The Three Tuns at Fazeley is open. Not been in but a number of people in the garden yesterday but all seemed to be behaving themselves. The board outside gives a number to phone for access.

Edited by pearley

1 minute ago, Cheshire cat said:

We went out Sunday afternoon to judge the lie of the land. The pub we chose is privately owned by a small brewer. He's got three outlets. The owner is following all government advice, PPE for staff, sanitiser for all customers, table service only. It looked really good until the regulars turned up. Crusty old men who hadn't seen their mates for ages. Much shaking of hands and slapping of backs whilst reflecting on how good it was to get back to normal.

Wandered down the road and things were much different. No sign of PPE and we were free to wander up to the bar if we wished. Speaking to one or two people they said they wouldn't be going back to the first pub because things were too strict.

I noticed that you leave your name and phone number and they no what time you arrive but there is no record of how long you were there for. Potentially, hundreds of people could be asked to isolate for no good reason.

All of the pubz we have been in have recorded your time of arrival and time of departure. 

We have also found that the older people who should be being more careful are the worst for adhering to the rules. An old dear in the butchers earlier completely ignored not only the amount of people in the shop rule but was also fondling all of the prepackaged produce much to the butchers disgust who then had to go and wipe it all down. He was not happy to say the least especially as all she bought after touching everything was a couple of bits of calves liver. 

We walked round to the Boat House in Braunston last night to have a look, they had a one way system in place through the pub and garden. We were met at the door where there was had sanitiser and menus which were single use only. We decided to have something to eat and drink, we were say inside where tables were well spaced out and only a few in use, a waitress to our order for drinks and food. I saw the waitress use hand sanitiser many times during the night.

I visited my local on Saturday, The Somerset Arms at Semington

https://www.facebook.com/thesomersetarmssemington/  

300m South of Semington Road Bridge No 160 on the Kennet and Avon:  https://canalplan.org.uk/place/pqen

Visitors (no need to book in advance) are met at a lectern inside the main entrance and name/number taken.

There's a one-way route around the bar/toilets to a large area at the rear, taking over the car park.

There's a marquee at the back of the car park too, but I didn't look in there.

We sat at our usual outdoor table out at the front of the pub...well spaced from other customers.

Plenty of customers on a slightly murky Jul evening, but the tables are well-spaced and people were not getting in each other's way.

I'll be going again.

Edited by Simon Pooley

If people don't use pubs many will be lost. Many already will be. Spose we could all go to church on Sunday lunch instead ? Indian restaurant for us tomorrow night, they need support also. 

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If people don't use pubs many will be lost. Many already will be. Spose we could all go to church on Sunday lunch instead ? Indian restaurant for us tomorrow night, they need support also. 

We had a take out Indian last night which was very good. 

Struggle to get for an eat in Indian now with the dog!

8 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Probably wise, but these pubs closing is a signal that the track & trace is working.  It gives me some hope.

The story on the lunchtime news suggested a slightly different story re test and trace: It was the landlady who took the time to phone all 90 of the known customers but it was quite some time later before the tracers got around to it.

9 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I haven't been to the pub yet.  But I'm thinking about it.  I thought it might be useful to have a thread for pub recommendations where you've actually been and found good practice for social distancing etc.  What measures did they have in place?  Did the staff seem to know what they were doing?  How were the tables arranged?  Were staff wearing PPE?  That sort of thing.

I'd have more confidence to use a pub which has been given the thumbs up on here.

Drifting very slightly off topic: I've just come back from a trip to Tesco. The floor markings and signage are still there. The one way system in and out is just about abandoned as you can walk straight through from entrance to exit. The member of staff counting customers in was nowhere to be seen, neither was the person who last week was sanitising trolley handles. Adjacent tills are open again so you're about 50 cm from the person at the next, the till queue controllers are obviously also deemed to be surplus to requirements. It's as though the last 4 months never happened. 

And, yes, I know the incidence in the general population is now very low but apparently 80% of those testing positive are asymptomatic so we can look forward to more Leicesters around the country since there will still be enough spreaders around to make sure little local outbreaks continue.

We visited the Barge at Woolstone in Milton Keynes last night. Excellent precautions including table service only, both for food and drinks, good spacing of the tables, PPE for all staff and sanitiser for everybody, enforced one way system, etc. Pre-booked service only though.

As this is a Vintage Inn, it would be good to hope that others in the chain are being as thorough. 

12 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Drifting very slightly off topic: I've just come back from a trip to Tesco. The floor markings and signage are still there. The one way system in and out is just about abandoned as you can walk straight through from entrance to exit. The member of staff counting customers in was nowhere to be seen, neither was the person who last week was sanitising trolley handles. Adjacent tills are open again so you're about 50 cm from the person at the next, the till queue controllers are obviously also deemed to be surplus to requirements. It's as though the last 4 months never happened. 

Interesting - which branch was that? Our local (Milton Keynes) Tesco was rigidly enforcing all those rules yesterday.