Canalside pubs with good social distancing measures in place

Featured Posts

I haven't been to the pub yet.  But I'm thinking about it.  I thought it might be useful to have a thread for pub recommendations where you've actually been and found good practice for social distancing etc.  What measures did they have in place?  Did the staff seem to know what they were doing?  How were the tables arranged?  Were staff wearing PPE?  That sort of thing.

I'd have more confidence to use a pub which has been given the thumbs up on here.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Just been on the news that three pubs that opened at the weekend are closed again due to customers testing positive for covid 19.

I won't be using a pub for the foreseeable. 

Probably wise, but these pubs closing is a signal that the track & trace is working.  It gives me some hope.

Had hundreds of people at The Pig Place on the Oxford at the weekend. All outdoor seating and spaced sofas and cafe seating. Campsite also full but I spaced em well. Two forumites have visited so far in the nice weather. 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

We went for our first British drink this year on Sunday, to The Pig Place beside the Oxford Canal near Adderbury. There was evidence of sensible precautions: for example, a barrier in front of the counter over which we had to lean to pick up our drinks, and rectangular tables turned through 90 degrees to give more distance between facing pairs of settees. The "glasses" were single-use plastic, though they may always be anyway, and the barman obviously knew the recommended procedures.

We felt quite safe having a drink there, though we would not recommend it in bad weather as it is totally outdoors. They stock a range of Hook Norton beers, which is a further plus point, and a draught cider which Mrs. Athy appreciated.

EDIT: my and Mrsmelly's posts crossed.

Edited by Athy

from what i read the other customers havent got it yet but are being quarantined as a precaution, will indded be interesting to see if in due course anyone picked the virus up in those pubs, if the newspapers bother to tell us

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It all seems a bit illogical. Pubs etc have to have social distancing measures which reduce their footfall and income, whilst they need to have increased staff for table service. And yet it doesn’t seem to make any difference. When someone comes in with CV, others get it and the pub has to be closed. What is the point of the social distancing measures? Is it just the government pandering to the public to make them feel secure even though they aren’t? A motivation that they need to be seen to be doing something?

I suspect the motivation for the government is pressure from the licencing trade.

I will watch what happens over the next month before deciding whether or not to venture into a pub.

I take the view that I am responsible for my own safety, and thus watch what happens as lockdown is eased, before deciding what is or isn't safe practice.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Had hundreds of people at The Pig Place on the Oxford at the weekend. All outdoor seating and spaced sofas and cafe seating. Campsite also full but I spaced em well. Two forumites have visited so far in the nice weather. 

I enjoyed their fried breakfast in a sandwich a week or so ago, very nice. Well most of it.

They put the sandwich in a brown paper bag with a paper plate and wooden knife & fork (still in 'takeaway mode' then). Cutting the thick sandwich with a wooden knife on a paper plate on my lap was a challenge as the lovely greyhound(?) had obviousky sussed out! :D

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

With the track and trace thingy, if someone has Covid-19 and you're all notified is that everyone in the pub on 14 day isolation?  If so im not thinking that crafty pint is worth it?

There will always be viruses out there and they will always mutate. I'm not sure the majority of the population (especially those under 50) will put their lives on hold much longer.

I've seen a few instances in shops where 'younger people' have blatently ignored social distancing to an extent I'd say they were making a point.

At the end of the day risk comes with life, the vast majority are at a very low risk of dying from this virus. It seems more and more people just want to get on with life now and ignore the rhetoric from hypercritical politicians.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Rambling Boater said:

There will always be viruses out there and they will always mutate. I'm not sure the majority of the population (especially those under 50) will put their lives on hold much longer.

I've seen a few instances in shops where 'younger people' have blatently ignored social distancing to an extent I'd say they were making a point.

At the end of the day risk comes with life, the vast majority are at a very low risk of dying from this virus. It seems more and more people just want to get on with life now and ignore the rhetoric from hypercritical politicians.

I'm happy with the risk from the virus itself, but wouldn't be happy if i had to isolate for 14 days again....?  more the inconvenience thing than anything else...

Had first pint at Welford Wharf Saturday. Very well organised with one way system through the bar for getting drinks using 2 different doors and plenty of tables in the garden plus a good large tent structure over some of them Glasses left at a collection point outside. Poor weather but pint of Phipps IPA and g and t for herself very enjoyable.

Well done to them.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, robtheplod said:

I'm happy with the risk from the virus itself, but wouldn't be happy if i had to isolate for 14 days again....?  more the inconvenience thing than anything else...

It would be interesting to know how many people actually do self isolate. How can it be enforced?

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

It would be interesting to know how many people actually do self isolate. 

It would be interesting to know who coined the expression. Wouldn't it be illegal to isolate other people, unless you were in a position of authority e.g. a prison warder?

16 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

How can it be enforced?

Self-enforced, principally, is it not? Through a combination of behaving considerately and responsibly, and being afraid of catching the bug, most people are staying away from most other people.

Spent Saturday afternoon in the Navigation at Bugsworth. 
One way system in and out. 
Plastic screens around the bar. 
Sticky tape to demark the seating areas and the no go tables. 
Proper glasses. 
Sign in on entry and leave telephone number. 
Hand sanitiser mounted on wall at several places. Snazzy ones too, with a sensor so you don’t have to press owt, just put hands under. 
Toilets cleaned hourly. 
They also had a portable screen on wheels that could be moved where needed. 
Seemed to run well while I was in there. 
But I left 7ish as it started to fill because I’d had my fill. 
How it worked when busy I can’t say. 
But it looked like it would all go to pot the busier it got. 
For instance, it began with table service until it got busy with the foody types, then I had to fetch me own pint. 

Can’t knock them (owners) for trying, they seemed very happy to be back up and running. Good luck to them. 

And the price of a pub pint is shocking after getting used to buying from the supermarket. 

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

It would be interesting to know who coined the expression. Wouldn't it be illegal to isolate other people, unless you were in a position of authority e.g. a prison warder?

Self-enforced, principally, is it not? Through a combination of behaving considerately and responsibly, and being afraid of catching the bug, most people are staying away from most other people.

I think I read somewhere that Covid has not had an impact on the general death figures for those under 45. If that's true then I doubt for them much is being driven by the fear of catching the bug. Perhaps more the guilt of passing it on to the vulnerable and not complying with judgement from social media.

54 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

It would be interesting to know how many people actually do self isolate. How can it be enforced?

The hope is that people will be responsible and think of the needs of others.  Some will, some won't.  Any amount that will is better than nothing.

A friend of mine does washing machine repair, in people's homes.  He's doing everything he can to keep himself and his customers safe.  A couple of weeks ago he was called to a house for a repair.  While he was there, the old man living there started coughing a lot.  My friend asked if he was ok, and the man said "don't worry, I've just got that conavirus thing".  My friend was taken aback and said "aren't you supposed to be self-isolating?" His reply: "I am self isolating".

The amount of stupidity on display over the last few months is truly astounding.

But we're all getting off the subject.  Any more pub recommendations?

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Spent Saturday afternoon in the Navigation at Bugsworth. 
One way system in and out. 
Plastic screens around the bar. 
Sticky tape to demark the seating areas and the no go tables. 
Proper glasses. 
Sign in on entry and leave telephone number. 
Hand sanitiser mounted on wall at several places. Snazzy ones too, with a sensor so you don’t have to press owt, just put hands under. 
Toilets cleaned hourly. 
They also had a portable screen on wheels that could be moved where needed. 
Seemed to run well while I was in there. 
But I left 7ish as it started to fill because I’d had my fill. 
How it worked when busy I can’t say. 
But it looked like it would all go to pot the busier it got. 
For instance, it began with table service until it got busy with the foody types, then I had to fetch me own pint. 

Can’t knock them (owners) for trying, they seemed very happy to be back up and running. Good luck to them. 

And the price of a pub pint is shocking after getting used to buying from the supermarket. 

Useful info, thanks.  You make a good point about time of day.  Maybe a mid-afternoon visit would be a better idea for me.

Of course, you would hope that their systems would improve over time.  The first day of opening was always going to be tricky.  My concern is that it will go the other way and people will get complacent.  That's why shutting some pubs down is probably a good thing overall.

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Greenie 2

Haven't been to any canalside pubs yet, but went to a couple of land-bound pubs on Saturday, and everything seemed really well organised in both - had the procedures explained to me on entry in both, both had one-way systems, table service only, distancing between tables, sanitiser available on entry. Very well organised for day 1.

In the first pub I sat outside, they came and took the orders and left a tray of drinks on the edge of the table for us to pick up, and picked up the empties from the same spot. In the interests of science I repeated the process a couple of times and was pleased by the repeatability of the results. details taken on pen and paper, to be kept for three weeks then destroyed.

In the second one I sat inside, only some of the tables were available for use, and they'd rearranged the furniture and repurposed their function room as an extra dining area. We were offered a choice of table service or ordering via an app (obtainable via a QR code on the menu), depending on how worried you were about keeping your distance from the staff. Details taken online via a QR code on entry to the pub and printed on the other side of the menu.

None of the staff wore PPE, I suspect they've left it as a personal choice for them wether to do so or not.

Overall a very positive and safe experience from both (although, frankly I'd go anyway). I heartily recommend going to pubs on this experience ;-)

4 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

I think I read somewhere that Covid has not had an impact on the general death figures for those under 45. If that's true then I doubt for them much is being driven by the fear of catching the bug. Perhaps more the guilt of passing it on to the vulnerable and not complying with judgement from social media.

I'm under 45.  I don't want to catch the bug, but I really, really don't want to be responsible for giving it to anyone else.

1 minute ago, phantom_iv said:

None of the staff wore PPE, I suspect they've left it as a personal choice for them wether to do so or not.

This really bothers me.  Try working on a large building site and not wearing your PPE.  You'd be thrown off site immeadiately.  My job sometimes takes me onto such sites and the strictness applied is impressive.  Steel toe cap shoes aren't enough, they have to be the right sort of steel toe cap shoes.

Hospitality staff should be wearing PPE to protect customers.  That's a major red flag for me.  Shop workers should be too, but I rarely see it.

8 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

This really bothers me.  Try working on a large building site and not wearing your PPE.  You'd be thrown off site immeadiately.  My job sometimes takes me onto such sites and the strictness applied is impressive.  Steel toe cap shoes aren't enough, they have to be the right sort of steel toe cap shoes.

Hospitality staff should be wearing PPE to protect customers.  That's a major red flag for me.  Shop workers should be too, but I rarely see it.

Building sites are considerably more dangerous environments than pubs. In neither environment did the staff spend more than a few seconds closer than ~2m away from us. PPE would be quite ridiculous to be honest given the other precautions being taken - especially in an outdoor environment.

I'd say that both pubs I visited had much lower risk of virus transmission than any supermarket or other shop I've been to recently, regardless of PPE (or lack thereof).

2 minutes ago, phantom_iv said:

Building sites are considerably more dangerous environments than pubs. In neither environment did the staff spend more than a few seconds closer than ~2m away from us. PPE would be quite ridiculous to be honest given the other precautions being taken - especially in an outdoor environment.

I'd say that both pubs I visited had much lower risk of virus transmission than any supermarket or other shop I've been to recently, regardless of PPE (or lack thereof).

Do you have any figures to back that up?  Pubs are pretty dangeous environments too. 

Wearing PPE to reduce risk is never ridiculous.  The sooner the wearing of masks is normalised the better (as it is in most of the rest of the world).

The problem pubs have over shops is length of exposure.  The whole point of a pub for most people is that you stay there for an extended time. 

Edited by doratheexplorer

Sheffield basin Richard at the Dorothy Pax spent many hours working out a system, its bottled beer, table service, all outside and portaloos [easy to clean] Richard said it all worked very well but staff costs are expensive! It has a online table booking service as well, clearly this is weather driven but its the only pub I will be visiting anytime soon

54 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Do you have any figures to back that up?  Pubs are pretty dangeous environments too. 

Wearing PPE to reduce risk is never ridiculous.  The sooner the wearing of masks is normalised the better (as it is in most of the rest of the world).

The problem pubs have over shops is length of exposure.  The whole point of a pub for most people is that you stay there for an extended time. 

The thing is you don't have to go to any place you don't want to. We will not be wearing ppe where I am unless it becomes law and if it does I will simply not help out there, no ppe for me. Anyone under 50 has more chance of seeing Jesus than dying from covid and unless get into close contact Havnt much chance of passing it on to others. One of our daughters caught it at work and was quite ill but her hubby and 3 kids hardly knew they had it even though they all did. I do have the flu jab every year and will have covid jab if it ever comes to fruition but meanwhile life goes on for me and mine. We only get one innings and I am not spending it sitting at home worrying about a minute risk whilst me innings runs out ?

• Greenie 4

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The thing is you don't have to go to any place you don't want to. We will not be wearing ppe where I am unless it becomes law and if it does I will simply not help out there, no ppe for me. Anyone under 50 has more chance of seeing Jesus than dying from covid and unless get into close contact Havnt much chance of passing it on to others. One of our daughters caught it at work and was quite ill but her hubby and 3 kids hardly knew they had it even though they all did. I do have the flu jab every year and will have covid jab if it ever comes to fruition but meanwhile life goes on for me and mine. We only get one innings and I am not spending it sitting at home worrying about a minute risk whilst me innings runs out ?

The Dorothy Pax is the same as your pub Tim all outside so its naturally safe, I can foresee pubs that are indoor based being continually being closed for deep cleaning after a covid case is reported just act of life

• Greenie 1