Recommendations of where to get hull grit blasted and pit welded 2020

Featured Posts

Hi,

My surveyor has recommended grit blasting of my hull, inspection of the base plate and pit welding on the sides, and base plate if required.

1. Can anyone recommend a good yard to get this done at?

2. Debdale Wharf offer zinc spraying. Has anyone had this done? In your experience was it worth doing?

3. How do you touch up 2 pack epoxy once it starts to wear? (I've only used bitumen for the last 14 years). Do you just add another coat when it's due for blacking again?

Thanks in advance.

On 07/07/2020 at 06:41, Nut said:

welcome to the forums the answers should come thick and fast after everyone has a tea/coffee/gin etc and woken up

Thank you Nut. Still hoping for more answers. How long does it usually take for everyone to imbibe tea/coffee and wake up? Gin? For breakfast? Might try it but I quite like porridge.

On 07/07/2020 at 06:49, mrsmelly said:

Pinders.

Thank you.

32 minutes ago, 247 said:

Thank you Nut. Still hoping for more answers. How long does it usually take for everyone to imbibe tea/coffee and wake up? Gin? For breakfast? Might try it but I quite like porridge.

Thank you.

It might help if you were to ay where your boat is, I can give you the name of a yard in Watford that does shot blasting and two pack but that is no good if you have a wide beam in Leeds!

10 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

It might help if you were to ay where your boat is, I can give you the name of a yard in Watford that does shot blasting and two pack but that is no good if you have a wide beam in Leeds!

I couldn't see a field for continuous cruiser. Currently  in the NW but that isn't a big problem. Want to get it done next year, by which time I could be anywhere. Narrowboat so no constraints.

54 minutes ago, IDS said:

I'd recommend debdale zinc spraying. Did our 1988 hull about 7 years ago. 

Thank you. I'm seriously looking at that option, so it's really good to get feedback.

P&S Marine at Watford did Jarrah in 2010. Epoxy pitch only, not zinc and epoxy.  It was still in good order last year when docked for a survey.

Since then coal tar has been banned so epoxy pitch is not available but other epoxied are.

N

P&S Marine also blasted and applied a 2 pack epoxy coating to our 70ft NB in 2018.  As the boat hasn’t been out of the water since I can’t comment on the actual coating but subsequently had 2 weeks afloat in the marina there and was able to watch all the work being undertaken on other boats and I have to say I was impressed with them.  No shortcuts and they seemed very thorough.  They all seemed non stop including the welder?

4 hours ago, BEngo said:

P&S Marine at Watford did Jarrah in 2010. Epoxy pitch only, not zinc and epoxy.  It was still in good order last year when docked for a survey.

Since then coal tar has been banned so epoxy pitch is not available but other epoxied are.

N

Thank you.