Life Jacket

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Hi All

We plan to go on a few rivers this year - nothing raging (we hope) and I'd feel happier if we had life jackets. What are the things to look out for?  I'd like them to be as minimalist as possible but obviously need to be effective... any recommendations about type and suppliers?

Go for an Auto-Gas will inflate and turn you face up within 4 seconds.

A buoyancy-Aid will turn you face down in the water - not conducive to a long life.

If you are a good swimmer and can swim fully clothed in cold water then you need a MINIMUM of a 150N lifejacket

If you are NOT a strong swimmer when fully clothed in cold water you need a 275N lifejacket

You can get an adequate one 150N for around £60, or a 'soft-comfortable' type for around £110

Crewsaver are a good middle of the road brand

DO NOT BUY SECONDHAND

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 3

46 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Crotch strap :)

Here's why. I buy my spare parts (DIY maintenance is very straightforward, if you buy some decent digital kitchen scales) from here:  https://www.lifejackets.co.uk/  They also have some good videos on maintenance.

I would go for those with the simple United Moulders mechanism, not Hammar as they are rather fiddly.  About 150N if you are of, er, average build.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Greenie 1

Just one thing to consider, a full life jacket turns you on your back which is usually safer if you've been knocked unconscious, but it also prevents you from getting out of the water unaided even if you are ok because you simply fell in, which can actually be more dangerous. With a buoyancy aid the opposite applies.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Just one thing to consider, a full life jacket turns you on your back which is usually safer if you've been knocked unconscious, but it also prevents you from getting out of the water unaided even if you are ok because you simply fell in, which can actually be more dangerous.

True, but if you are conscious you can choose to unfasten the inflated life jacket and climb out.  The other way, not so much.

It's different if you are expecting to get dunked, in a kayak or whilst racing dinghies for example.  If you are not expecting to end up in the water, use a life jacket.

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Don't buy one with a lifetime guarantee! ?

My uncle had a wristwatch with a lifetime guarantee. When it broke the mainspring slashed his wrist. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Go for an Auto-Gas will inflate and turn you face up within 4 seconds.

A buoyancy-Aid will turn you face down in the water - not conducive to a long life.

If you are a good swimmer and can swim fully clothed in cold water then you need a MINIMUM of a 150N lifejacket

If you are NOT a strong swimmer when fully clothed in cold water you need a 275N lifejacket

You can get an adequate one 150N for around £60, or a 'soft-comfortable' type for around £110

Crewsaver are a good middle of the road brand

DO NOT BUY SECONDHAND

Perfect thanks for the helpful advice Alan!

22 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Perfect thanks for the helpful advice Alan!

Several people have answered your original question with equally helpful advice so I am genuinely curious why you felt you couldn't acknowledge that too.

Forgive me but its a bit of an annoyance of mine, when somebody does this.

7 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Several people have answered your original question with equally helpful advice so I am genuinely curious why you felt you couldn't acknowledge that too.

Forgive me but its a bit of an annoyance of mine, when somebody does this.

This is true.. i got Alans email alert and went to it and read it on my phone - didn't have time to read other replies at the time. Now all read and thanked accordingly, thanks everyone - getting the feeling Crotch straps are the way to go... :)

So, going through the replies I've found this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crewsaver-Crewfit-Automatic-Lifejacket-9015NBA/dp/B00STT1T0O/ref=sr_1_36?dchild=1&keywords=crewfit&qid=1594102206&sr=8-36

Automatic and has a crotch harness, although just the one strap - assume this is ok?

So for a reasonably strong swimmer on calm rivers this would suffice?  Saw several with lights but not sure that's ott for canals unless maybe in a tunnel?  Got me thinking though the chances are a little higher of falling in when going through a tunnel - does anyone else think it might be a good idea to have a light??

Quick question i see you can refill them if used with new canisters so assume these are multi use and can be packed away again?  Not thinking of making a habit of falling in.. :)

Edited by robtheplod

14 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

So, going through the replies I've found this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crewsaver-Crewfit-Automatic-Lifejacket-9015NBA/dp/B00STT1T0O/ref=sr_1_36?dchild=1&keywords=crewfit&qid=1594102206&sr=8-36

Automatic and has a crotch harness, although just the one strap - assume this is ok?

So for a reasonably strong swimmer on calm rivers this would suffice?  Saw several with lights but not sure that's ott for canals unless maybe in a tunnel?  Got me thinking though the chances are a little higher of falling in when going through a tunnel - does anyone else think it might be a good idea to have a light??

Quick question i see you can refill them if used with new canisters so assume these are multi use and can be packed away again?  Not thinking of making a habit of falling in.. :)

The annual maintenance (or after deployment) is
1)  weigh the gas bottle. If it is less than the weight stamped on it then replace. They can't be refilled.

2) check the expiry date on the salt cartridge, and replace as necessary

3) inflate the LJ (using a footpump) and leave for 24 hours to see if any leaks

4) check webbing, clips, buckles etc for wear

dsc_8827.jpg

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

The annual maintenance (or after deployment) is
1)  weigh the gas bottle. If it is less than the weight stamped on it then replace. They can't be refilled.

2) check the expiry date on the salt cartridge, and replace as necessary

3) inflate the LJ (using a footpump) and leave for 24 hours to see if any leaks

4) check webbing, clips, buckles etc for wear

5) Deflate the LJ

6) Fold up 'correctly' and re-pack

7) Store in a dry place.

32 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

o for a reasonably strong swimmer on calm rivers this would suffice?  Saw several with lights but not sure that's ott for canals unless maybe in a tunnel?  Got me thinking though the chances are a little higher of falling in when going through a tunnel - does anyone else think it might be a good idea to have a light??

It isn't necessary to have a light but there again it is no detriment and, as you say, could be useful for locating you in a tunnel.

You should service the LJ annually so it is good to know how to "pack it away"

When servicing the LJ do not inflate it orally as the moisture in your breathe can affect (rot) the bladder.

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

5) Deflate the LJ

6) Fold up 'correctly' and re-pack

7) Store in a dry place.

Good stuff. I was wondering why I am a bit sort of sitting space at the moment. I should have added 

8 )  Fill in the maintenance record if any parts have been replaced.

• Greenie 2

The "horseshoe" type are more comfortable than the squarer type....I keep thinking of getting a couple to replace ours but we don't use them enough to justify it really. Its a good point about looking for a 275N one especially if you go boating in winter with a heavy coat etc on. 

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Its a good point about looking for a 275N one especially if you go boating in winter with a heavy coat etc on. 

Particularly as that's the time when locks are the most slippery, fall in, bang your head on the way down and you need as much buoyancy as you can get.