External vs Internal skin tank

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, nickhindle said:

Here is the comment from the survey:

"There was an external skin tank fitted on the starboard swim. The reason for this was not determined. The external skin tank was poor and had two protective plates, at the front and the bottom
weld. The bottom protective plate had been ripped off forwards and will not last long.
Recommend: Consider repairing and reverting back to the port internal skin tank."

When I had the boat out for blacking the engineer said the tank was sound, and welded the bottom protective plate back in place.

The system is currently drained for a coolant change, and there are no leaks.

Once again some shoddy work/wording by the surveyor. "The external skin tank was poor and had two protective plates, at the front and the bottom weld".  Exactly what does poor mean? Is the "poor" in addition to the problem noted or does the problem noted qualify the word "poor". As it stands is the external tank corroded, have pits of excess depth been identified? If the problems noted do qualify "poor"  then he should have used "because" instead of "and".

Many thanks all.

It seems fairly unanimous that the external tank is there for a (probably good) reason.

I'll keep using it as-is and have a proper look when the boat's out of the water for it's BSS next year.

17 minutes ago, nickhindle said:

Many thanks all.

It seems fairly unanimous that the external tank is there for a (probably good) reason.

I'll keep using it as-is and have a proper look when the boat's out of the water for it's BSS next year.

You take the boat out of the water for its BSSC ?

Why ?

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You take the boat out of the water for its BSSC ?

Why ?

Err, good question!  From your comment and then pausing to think what the BSS actually covers, it doesn't need to be out of the water does it! d'oh

So... I'll check the tank when it's out for blacking in a year or two.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, WotEver said:

At this point he should have stopped with his recommendations as he's just admitted that he doesn't know what's wrong with the old tank.

Fine, a good observation, which you have addressed with...

Why does that anode have an 'up' arrow on it?  Is it to stop the electrons from falling out? 

I wonder how many dissimilar metals there, mild steel, stainless Steel, Zinc, copper and whatever the ring terminal is made from.

Some may remember, last year our internal skin tank developed a severe leak. We eventually had two external skin tanks fitted. One on each side of the swim. They work perfectly. Thank you Langley Mill Boatyard. 

Edited by Nightwatch

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder how many dissimilar metals there, mild steel, stainless Steel, Zinc, copper and whatever the ring terminal is made from.

Probably plated copper... so yet another metal - nickel? ;)