Protection for new paint job

Featured Posts

Having spent a good few quid on a new paint job, my next plan is to get some wax (not polish) protection on it. I would appreciate any recommendations for an easy to use wax, as the boat is 60ft I stress easy to use. Thanks

49 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Craftmaster Carnuba wax, but don't put it on for 6 months or so to allow the paint to fully harden.

^^^^ This, and, er, this :)

I waxed WotEver too soon, and noticed the cloth getting blue. So I stopped.

1 hour ago, dave moore said:

Nothing with silicone in, preferably. It can make subsequent repaints an interesting project.....don’t ask me how I know....

I knew a chap who swore by Mer... then he wanted to do some paint touch-ups 

Is it worth using the craftmaster wax on a boat you've painted yourself? The finish isn't bad but there's lots of brushmarks and it's not a professional job.

I'm going to add vinyl coachlines. Does the wax go over that ok?

The other thing I was thinking is doesn't the wax gradually wear off and go all over your gunwales making them slippery?

IMG_20200601_180357_880.jpg

IMG_20200619_162055_730.jpg

Edited by blackrose

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

Is it worth using the craftmaster wax on a boat you've painted yourself? The finish isn't bad but there's lots of brushmarks and it's not a professional job.

Yes, as it protects the paint from the weather. 

I'm going to add vinyl coachlines. Does the wax go over that ok?

Absolutely. But don’t wax it prior to applying them or they won’t stick. 

The other thing I was thinking is doesn't the wax gradually wear off and go all over your gunwales making them slippery?

Nope 

Thanks for the tips particularly leaving paint for a number of months.

I note Craftmaster recommendations but I believe this is a polish, in my experience it brings off some of the paint as indicated by colour residue on the cloth. In other words it's doing its job by smoothing out the surface and removing swirls etc.  I wouldn't fault it for a refresh/refurb but new paint needs wax not a polish. Any recommendations for a wax would be appreciated

22 minutes ago, plainsman said:

I note Craftmaster recommendations but I believe this is a polish

I don't believe it is, even though they say so. If it is then it's a very mild polish as I never saw any paint coming off a cured finish.

https://craftmaster.myshopify.com/collections/sundries-polish-wax/products/carnauba-wax

Alternatively, if you want to go for a pure liquid wax that's dead easy to apply then Meguiars takes some beating:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-G18216EU-Ultimate-Liquid-473ml/dp/B004HCM9H4

Or a paste version if that's more your bag...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-G18211EU-Ultimate-Paste-311g/dp/B004HCS4PK

Edited by WotEver
carnt spel

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I always thought the paint was there to protect the surface. When it can no longer do its job, it needs renewing.

Unless you actually enjoy polishing stuff, of course.  I have better things to do with my life!

My boat was 12 years old before needing a repaint. 

Many boats require repainting within 5 years.

It had been polished from new with Craftmaster carnuba wax twice a year, when I bought it, so I continued to do it.

Was it a coincidence the paint had lasted that long? I don't know, but given the cost of professional repaint I'd rather not take the chance for a couple of hours polishing per year.

Some polishes are designed to fill the dents and pits to give a shinier finish.

One thing I have found with wax is you can't help getting a small amount on the gunwales and then it turns white after a week or so as it dries out. It will clean off with white spirit but you never get rid of it all especially if the gunwales have been sanded or similar.

A couple of hours? That's speed work. It usually takes me the best part of a day.

Personally I would forget about wax because it will probably only last a maximum of 6 months before it will need reaplying and that is for the expansive waxes.  I would apply a sealant and then all you need to do is wash this when and if you want.  It does as it says, seals over the paint or clear coat if one has been applied. A ceramic sealant  generally should last 2 - 5 years dependent on the product and again are easy to keep clean and shiny?

On 06/07/2020 at 17:47, WotEver said:

^^^^ This, and, er, this :)

I waxed WotEver too soon, and noticed the cloth getting blue. So I stopped.

There is a blue NB in the marina at Harefield and I wondered if this was per chance your old boat.  Reading this post I suppose it was.  It was looking good??