Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Criky, what speed do you go at, Rugby to Burton and back in 3.5 days!

I think there’s two similar parallel threads on this subject and from the other I got the idea that it’s back to a straight 7 days now. It’ll need to be to get to Burton and back.

17 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Criky, what speed do you go at, Rugby to Burton and back in 3.5 days!

No no no, It’s all changed now, we’ve got the same boat for 7 nights 

21 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Seems to be a good plan. Easy locks, you’ll get some help from the Atherstone volockies at your first serious locks and there’s lots of straightforward cruising. Someone started a post asking for views on the Coventry Canal recently and the responses were overwhelmingly - and perhaps surprisingly - positive.

You'll also pass two of the best known canal pubs on the network, the Greyhound at Sutton Stop and the Swan at Fradley. Given you’ll be passing both twice there is no excuse not to call in.

JP

Thanks love a great pub recommendation ?

from what I can make out, some countryside/village/town ? So would you say a nice mix ?

17 minutes ago, Jeff78 said:

No no no, It’s all changed now, we’ve got the same boat for 7 nights 

Thanks love a great pub recommendation ?

from what I can make out, some countryside/village/town ? So would you say a nice mix ?

Yes, and that’s what came across in people’s comments in that thread I referenced. It’s not a destination canal but a good all round representation of what English narrow canals are about, joining the towns to the cities through the countryside. It’s one of my favourites but then again I’m a bit biased as I grew up next to it.

The Greyhound is a must stop in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Yes, and that’s what came across in people’s comments in that thread I referenced. It’s not a destination canal but a good all round representation of what English narrow canals are about, joining the towns to the cities through the countryside. It’s one of my favourites but then again I’m a bit biased as I grew up next to it.

The Greyhound is a must stop in my opinion.

Tried to book a table at the Greyhound for Monday night but fully booked.

32 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Yeah, i went to the greyhound 2 weeks ago on a monday and they were booked up and told me that you have to book your table on-line or with an app to get the discounted meals (eat out to help out) so I booked on my laptop went back to the pub 30 mins later and they said we are fully booked but you can do a 'walk-in', found me a table but wouldnt give me the discount cos I didnt use their app... I was well annoyed . I had looked at their  Youtube clip about how to book etc. but it didnt say you had to book the food on-line too. I have spent 100' s in that pub over time so was pretty pissed off and in fact wont go there there again. I wrote to the manager about it and he apologised but said 'You cant please all the people all the time'

54 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Eat out to help out is to blame. Everywhere is wedged Monday to Wednesday. I’m currently out in  Evesham because anywhere half decent in Droitwich is fully booked.

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

I think there’s two similar parallel threads on this subject and from the other I got the idea that it’s back to a straight 7 days now. It’ll need to be to get to Burton and back.

Ah Ok!

13 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Eat out to help out is to blame. Everywhere is wedged Monday to Wednesday. I’m currently out in  Evesham because anywhere half decent in Droitwich is fully booked.

We have had to have what we could find for tonight, it is hard to get anything.  Even Fri/Sat are rammed as well, I guess everyone istrying to go out while we can.

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Seems to be a good plan. Easy locks, you’ll get some help from the Atherstone volockies at your first serious locks and there’s lots of straightforward cruising. Someone started a post asking for views on the Coventry Canal recently and the responses were overwhelmingly - and perhaps surprisingly - positive.

You'll also pass two of the best known canal pubs on the network, the Greyhound at Sutton Stop and the Swan at Fradley. Given you’ll be passing both twice there is no excuse not to call in.

JP

You may have to book at the Greyhound for a table at the moment. because of Covid restrictions.

Or risk sitting in the garden, okay if the weather is fine..........

https://www.thegreyhoundlongford.co.uk/

Edited by Ray T

Well we’re enroute now, Atherstone locks soon, just coming through Nuneaton.

Ive has a couple of times when going round a fair gentle bend the boat has headed straight on an had no turn at all (I don’t think I’m going to fast) ! Any thoughts ? Just cleared the weed hatch and checked the tiller and cleared a bit of debris out 

1 hour ago, Jeff78 said:

Well we’re enroute now, Atherstone locks soon, just coming through Nuneaton.

Ive has a couple of times when going round a fair gentle bend the boat has headed straight on an had no turn at all (I don’t think I’m going to fast) ! Any thoughts ? Just cleared the weed hatch and checked the tiller and cleared a bit of debris out 

Water levels are down and if you get out of the deep channel the steering will be affected.

I doubt you’ll have too many problems with debris and weeds on that run. I’d advise a hirer to avoid opening the weedhatch unless you really have to. A blast of reverse is usually sufficient to clear the prop.

Interesting. I haven't had problems with lack of tiller response myself, but I do remember it happening to another steerer on a canal holiday in 1976, when the water levels were particularly low due to the drought. It was a sharp left-hand bend and instead of turning, the boat, a 60 footer, went straight on and hit the bank.

I haven't needed to open the weed hatch on canal holidays in the past decade, but in the light of exeriences on my first canal holiday in 1976, my minimum tool kit has included: pen-knife on lanyard; pliers; wire cutters; junior hacksaw; roll of gaffer tape. All used at various times, admittedly mostly when traversing built-up areas. 

27 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Interesting. I haven't had problems with lack of tiller response myself, but I do remember it happening to another steerer on a canal holiday in 1976, when the water levels were particularly low due to the drought. It was a sharp left-hand bend and instead of turning, the boat, a 60 footer, went straight on and hit the bank.

I haven't needed to open the weed hatch on canal holidays in the past decade, but in the light of exeriences on my first canal holiday in 1976, my minimum tool kit has included: pen-knife on lanyard; pliers; wire cutters; junior hacksaw; roll of gaffer tape. All used at various times, admittedly mostly when traversing built-up areas. 

Which leads to another bit of advice. Ease back on the throttle through narrow bridge holes, especially in urban areas. Absolutely never plough on at normal revs through any on the BCN. There’s no chance of maintaining speed anyway. No point in fighting it and risking snagging the stuff that’s been dumped at the same time.

JP

Just now, Jeff78 said:

Bit of a novice question, what’s the earliest I can use the locks in the morning ? Got make up some time with a early start due to a tree being down and delays. 

Unless it's a manned set of locks like Foxton , as early as you like, I have been known to hit flights at 04.30am just to enjoy the dawn and lack of queues.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Unless it's a manned set of locks like Foxton , as early as you like, I have been known to hit flights at 04.30am just to enjoy the dawn and lack of queues.

Cheers Matty, I need to get away early, but I’ll save the 0430s for work next week