Gas hob and oven.

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, dmr said:

I purchased our boat second hand, with an owner fit out. There are a few 3/8 compression fittings in the gas pipe. How do I find out if the nuts were done up up by a competent person ? ?   The BSS man has never looked inside them, the olives might be gobs of blutack.

and when our BSS ran out due to lockdown I phoned my insurer who said the BSS is not a requirement of the insurance policy.

..............Dave

And if the gas fitter did have a bit of paper they could still have been full of bluetack.   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-18078303

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

And if the gas fitter did have a bit of paper they could still have been full of bluetack.   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-18078303

Thats interesting (well at least a little bit). I thought you had to be willfully negligent to get prosecuted. If the bloke had made thousands of joints in his career and only one leaked then that could be normal human error? Maybe there was a bit more to this. If this sort of requirement was applied to surgeons then there would be no surgeons left.

.................Dave

8 hours ago, dmr said:

Thats interesting (well at least a little bit). I thought you had to be willfully negligent to get prosecuted. If the bloke had made thousands of joints in his career and only one leaked then that could be normal human error? Maybe there was a bit more to this. If this sort of requirement was applied to surgeons then there would be no surgeons left.

.................Dave

1) You need a lot of gas to leak to get the concentrations required for ignition.

2) The comparison with a surgeon is apt; if surgeons were prone to slipping and accidentally cutting patient's throats.

3) Checking joints are  gas-tight is part of completing an installation. A surgeon who forgot to sew up a patient would very quickly lose their licence. 

On 06/07/2020 at 12:51, Halsey said:

If you carry out a mod under the BSSC regs that isn't done properly you could have an issue next time around

Insurance definitely affected - read your small print - try to make a claim if you have a fire............

Why would you even think to do it without a professional involved - you don't mess with gas on a boat.

My boat passed three BSC exams without anyone checking the gas cooker fitting, the Gas Safe BSC guy sorted it, plus other gas fails.

Edited by LadyG

On 08/07/2020 at 07:36, Alastair said:

1) You need a lot of gas to leak to get the concentrations required for ignition.

2) The comparison with a surgeon is apt; if surgeons were prone to slipping and accidentally cutting patient's throats.

3) Checking joints are  gas-tight is part of completing an installation. A surgeon who forgot to sew up a patient would very quickly lose their licence. 

The gas regulations are absolute, No acceptable leakage maximum, no percentage of fails due to bad work.

12% gas in air is an explodable mixture.

Its fine for surgeons, they bury  their mistakes.

A gas fitter has no excuse at all, ever.

Allow me to relate an incident.

Very experienced and qualified fitter called out to a living flame gas fire, hateful appliance, an open gas burner in an open fireplace. Complaint, won't stay lit.

Finds thermocouple eroded, replaces, which involved removal of the fire, disconnection of the 8mm copper feed pipe. Fitter does gas drop test at meter before disconnection, zero drop.

Repair made, refitted, tested working, all disturbed gas fittings leak tested with fluid. Gas pressure drop test done at meter, zero drop. Job signed off.

2 days later customer complains of gas smell, reports to Corgi as was. Fitter recalled by Corgi inspector to attend site with inspector.

On attending, fitter and inspector do drop test at meter, zero drop detected.

Fire removed and inspected. Olive on 8mm pipe found to have a flat on it, manufacturing defect. Only leaked when room and fire were cold, no detectable leak when warmed slightly.

Olive changed [ end of pipe cut off ]  Fitter and inspector  satisfied. Job signed off by Corgi inspector.

Fitter with 20 years error free experience cautioned under health and safety regulations and forced to re-attend training and re-register.

TD'

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Fitter with 20 years error free experience cautioned under health and safety regulations and forced to re-attend training and re-register.

That hardly seems fair under the circumstances, but I guess the 'rule book' is pretty rigid.

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That hardly seems fair under the circumstances, but I guess the 'rule book' is pretty rigid.

There is no fair with HSE.

The regs are absolute, no quarter given even when competence can be proven.

This is why I cannot countenance helping a boat owner to play with his gas installation.

TD'

Seriously, you can find outliers for anything.

Making a safe gas installation is a lot easier than a full electrical system.

That fitter neglected to do one thing; test the gas system with pipes cold. 

This is much easier to do on a boat (if you use bubble testers) than in household installations. Manometers are really not great.

I don't want to encourage anyone who has limited mechanical skill from working on a gas system (getting mechanical joints tight enough but not too tight requires some feeling for the use of spanners). However I'm tired of the demonization of gas.

The same people who act terrified of gas are quite happy to get work done on their car by an apprentice who is paid £3.50 ph; then get in that car and drive at 70mph on the motorway. Car brakes, steering, etc are a lot more complicated than a boat gas system!

• Greenie 2