Gas hob and oven.

Featured Posts

Just now, Gerry underwood said:

We are in the process of changing our cooker as it is rubbish. Should we expect to do a straight swap or will we have to change stuff to fit??

Flexi fittings will be your friend - if already there you are probably going to be OK if not use them this time - I assume GAS so use a qualified fitter otherwise you will invalidate your insurance (and BSSC) 

Fully fitted or freestanding will make a difference to the ease of this 

Stay safe this is not an area to save money 

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

I assume GAS so use a qualified fitter otherwise you will invalidate your insurance (and BSSC) 

Why would it invalidate the BSSC?

Or the insurance, for that matter?

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Why would it invalidate the BSSC?

Or the insurance, for that matter?

If you carry out a mod under the BSSC regs that isn't done properly you could have an issue next time around

Insurance definitely affected - read your small print - try to make a claim if you have a fire............

Why would you even think to do it without a professional involved - you don't mess with gas on a boat.

Just now, Halsey said:

If you carry out a mod under the BSSC regs that isn't done properly you could have an issue next time around

That counts for any work on the boat, not just gas work.  Would you get a professional in if you wanted to install a new battery charger?#

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

Why would you even think to do it without a professional involved

Why on earth not?  I'm competent to do it, so perfectly permitted to do so.  If you're not competent than don't do it.

2 hours ago, Halsey said:

Insurance definitely affected - read your small print - try to make a claim if you have a fire............

Why would you even think to do it without a professional involved - you don't mess with gas on a boat.

Out of interest, do you use an approved gas fitter to change the empty bottle??

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Halsey said:

You get a *competent* person to do the work.

Doesn't have to be a time-served gas fitter. I redid the gas installations on 3 boats, all of them passed BSS first time with a very pedantic surveyor. They exceeded BSS requirements, because I wanted safe installations.

16 minutes ago, Alastair said:

You get a *competent* person to do the work.

Precisely.  There's way too much "Oooh, you'll nullify your BSS/Insurance/life if you do this..." on this forum.

• Greenie 1

I fitted 2 separate gas systems on my widebeam myself without any previous experience just by following the BSS Essential Guide to the letter. It's really not that hard. All joints checked with leak detection spray and both systems tested with the bubble testers I installed. That was about 14 years ago so it's all been checked by several different inspectors one of whom told me it was one of the best gas installations he'd seen. You don't need "a professional", that's not a BSS requirement. You just need someone who's competent.

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Precisely.  There's way too much "Oooh, you'll nullify your BSS/Insurance/life if you do this..." on this forum.

In other words too many people who don't know what they're talking about

"Boat Safety examiner, Andrew Phasey, explains the regulations regarding gas safety:
‘If your privately-owned boat is used by you for leisure or sporting purposes, there is no legal requirement for you to use a properly trained, qualified and Gas Safe registered operative to work on the gas system of your boat’.
‘You are required, though, to ensure that the work conforms to PD 5482-3:2005, the code of practice for installations in boats, yachts and other vessels of lengths up to 24m.
‘Furthermore, under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, you must take account of the health and safety of yourself and other persons who may be affected by your acts or omissions.
‘If, for example, you fit a gas appliance to your boat, best practice recommends that you employ a Gas Safe registered operative, who is qualified to work with LPG on boats, to examine the gas system and appliance. If the requirements of PD 5482-3:2005 or BS EN ISO 10239:2000 are met, the Gas Safe operative will issue a Gas Safety Certificate.

This examination and certification may well be a requirement of your marine insurer.’"

The above text is not edited by me and is a full and direct copy not to be edited to suit differing messages.

Edited by Halsey

4 minutes ago, Halsey said:

... there is no legal requirement for you to use a properly trained, qualified and Gas Safe registered operative to work on the gas system of your boat.

Precisely.  However, as I wrote earlier, if you aren't competent yourself then get someone in who is.

So it is complete nonsense to state "use a qualified fitter otherwise you will invalidate your insurance (and BSSC)"

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Precisely.  However, as I wrote earlier, if you aren't competent yourself then get someone in who is.

So it is complete nonsense to state "use a qualified fitter otherwise you will invalidate your insurance "

This examination and certification may well be a requirement of your marine insurer.’

................ we can all edit text to suit our own purposes

as I intimated much earlier in this now very boring thread why would anyone want to try to find a way around regulations designed to ensure your safety just accept them and move on and you and your boating neighbours will be safer

The worry for me is; if I finished up in court after an incident, no matter how minor, though I am competent, could I convince a court and a smart prosecution lawyer of my competence; without a gas safe registration document in my name?

In short, no.

TD'

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Halsey said:

This examination and certification may well be a requirement of your marine insurer.’

Yeah, so get it examined. That should take about half an hour.  No point also paying someone to do the work that you're quite capable of doing yourself (if you're competent).

Getting it examined and having a cert issued is a good idea, however it's not mandatory, not doing so will not invalidate your BSSC, and is a completely different thing to having someone else do the work,

11 minutes ago, Halsey said:

why would anyone want to try to find a way around regulations

No-one's 'finding a way around' anything.  The regs state that you don't need to use a Gas Safe registered bod.  You stated that they did.  You were wrong.

30 minutes ago, Halsey said:

‘If your privately-owned boat is used by you for leisure or sporting purposes, there is no legal requirement for you to use a properly trained, qualified and Gas Safe registered operative to work on the gas system of your boat’.

• Unimpressed 1

Ok, so you can do your own gas work and then get a suitably qualified GasSafe person to sign off your work.  This should satisfy any court that the work was done to a competent standard.

How does this compare to having your BSC done by a similarly qualified examiner, who then effectively signs off the gas system by passing the BSC examination?

3 minutes ago, dor said:

How does this compare to having your BSC done by a similarly qualified examiner...

By ‘similarly qualified’ do you mean Gas Safe registered for LPG (Boats)?  If so, it’s the same thing, surely?

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

By ‘similarly qualified’ do you mean Gas Safe registered for LPG (Boats)?  If so, it’s the same thing, surely?

Yes.

That’s how I see it.  So as long as you have your BSC done by GS/LPG examiner, the question of whether or not the gas has been installed by a ‘competent’ person becomes academic as far as passing the BSC is concerned.

3 minutes ago, dor said:

Yes.

That’s how I see it.  So as long as you have your BSC done by GS/LPG examiner, the question of whether or not the gas has been installed by a ‘competent’ person becomes academic as far as passing the BSC is concerned.

Yes, exactly.  All this nonsense about 'invalidating your BSSC' if you don't get the work done by a GS/LPG/Boats bod is just that; nonsense.

To exchange an oven that's currently connected by a flexi with another that will be similarly connected is hardly rocket science. A check of the bubble tester after it's done, and a double-check with leak fluid if you wish will demonstrate that you know how to tighten a nut.

On 06/07/2020 at 17:30, Tracy D'arth said:

The worry for me is; if I finished up in court after an incident, no matter how minor, though I am competent, could I convince a court and a smart prosecution lawyer of my competence; without a gas safe registration document in my name?

In short, no.

TD'

But if you are competent and use suitable materials then the risk of a failure causing harm is very small.

But you are correct in that if your work were to result in a harm sufficiently serious for you to end up in court then you will struggle to convince the court of your competence, because presumably there is sufficient evidence to show a lack of competence - otherwise why would they prosecute?

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

But if you are competent and use suitable materials then the risk of a failure causing harm is very small.

But you are correct in that if your work were to result in a harm sufficiently serious for you to end up in court then you will struggle to convince the court of your competence, because presumably there is sufficient evidence to show a lack of competence - otherwise why would they prosecute?

Yes, I was thinking it's a pretty circular argument myself. "I'm competent but what if I ended up in court due to my incompetence?"

30 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yes, I was thinking it's a pretty circular argument myself. "I'm competent but what if I ended up in court due to my incompetence?"

It serves you right for not doing it right, if you do it right you wont end up in court, just the same as if you had a desk full of papers. Do it wrong and your in court

I purchased our boat second hand, with an owner fit out. There are a few 3/8 compression fittings in the gas pipe. How do I find out if the nuts were done up up by a competent person ? ?   The BSS man has never looked inside them, the olives might be gobs of blutack.

and when our BSS ran out due to lockdown I phoned my insurer who said the BSS is not a requirement of the insurance policy.

..............Dave

• Greenie 2