Dewsbury to Brighouse

umpire111

Featured Posts

Yes, you can easily turn in the basin between the two locks, or if you go above the second lock then you can do a 3 point turn into the basin next to the services block. If You are only going as far as Brighouse then see if you can moor in th basin between the two locks as turning will be easier in that basin than going above the second lock.

9 hours ago, PeterF said:

Yes, you can easily turn in the basin between the two locks, or if you go above the second lock then you can do a 3 point turn into the basin next to the services block. If You are only going as far as Brighouse then see if you can moor in th basin between the two locks as turning will be easier in that basin than going above the second lock.

Many thanks, all I need, cheers

Just looked at stoppages,and it says all flood locks on the C and H are closed.

I am moored at the moment at lock 1 on the Hudd Broad.

Walked across the road and saw that Cooper Bridge flood lock is open!

Don't know if its safe to travel.

Will ring CRT later.

11 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Just looked at stoppages,and it says all flood locks on the C and H are closed.

I am moored at the moment at lock 1 on the Hudd Broad.

Walked across the road and saw that Cooper Bridge flood lock is open!

Don't know if its safe to travel.

Will ring CRT later.

We got caught like that. River just in green at Brighouse, Anchor Pit Flood Lock with one gate open, Cooper Bridge shut. Bloody difficult trying to get off to open the gates with the ladder set in the middle of a concave bank with the river dragging you out.

Other flood locks/gates flapping in the wind as chains not secured or rusted away.

Edited by pearley

24 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

Just checked with CRT, all flood locks still closed

Some of the boat club members went up to Brighouse on Saturday so the flood gates were open then and the river level is lower now.
http://www.southpennineboatclub.co.uk/flood-monitoring/
The exception could be Mirfield but that is a flood lock so you can get through anyway. The contractors allegedly re-built the Ledgard Weir too high so that stretch is still in the red when the rest of the river is green. I heard there's a few work boats moored in the basin so you may need to go up the second lock and moor behind Sainsburys - you can easily turn there by the sanitary station.

Thought you meant the flood lock?

There's no stoppage notice for Greenwood lock but the CaRT website site  does state flood locks are shut. The current level at Ledgard Bridge is 0.14 so I suspect you will be able to get through even if you have to open them yourself. Those gates sometimes swing shut if a passing boat disturbs the water too much.

http://www.southpennineboatclub.co.uk/flood-monitoring/

Edited by Midnight