Questions from a newbie

Boatnewbie

Featured Posts

Complete newbie in my 50s.  We're looking at buying a boat for the first time as have come into a bit of money and want to enjoy some long weekends, etc doing this while we can.  What do we need to look for when buying?  We would like to be able to go to the boat for the odd weekend and stay over (maybe with a couple of friends) so would like one berth and maybe space for a sofabed.  Please tell me about moorings.  Presumably we'd need to pay to have a permanent mooring but what happens when you travel on your boat - are you allowed to moor anywhere or do you pay at different places?  Also what licences do you need and insurance?  Is there anything else I should think about?  And what should I think about when looking at boats?  Are there any other costs I need to think about?  I've been looking at what's for sale to get some idea of what we might like (budget around £20-50k).  Personally I like the traditional narrowboats or Dutch barges but my partner prefers the more modern cruisers (is that the right word?).  We are not at the age to undertake a project (and don't have the skills) so would like one we can  use straight away that has facilities (a shower is a must for me!)  All advice very grateful.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by Boatnewbie

1 hour ago, Boatnewbie said:

Complete newbie in my 50s.  We're looking at buying a boat for the first time as have come into a bit of money and want to enjoy some long weekends, etc doing this while we can.  What do we need to look for when buying?  We would like to be able to go to the boat for the odd weekend and stay over (maybe with a couple of friends) so would like one berth and maybe space for a sofabed.  Please tell me about moorings.  Presumably we'd need to pay to have a permanent mooring but what happens when you travel on your boat - are you allowed to moor anywhere or do you pay at different places?  Also what licences do you need and insurance?  Is there anything else I should think about?  And what should I think about when looking at boats?  Are there any other costs I need to think about?  I've been looking at what's for sale to get some idea of what we might like (budget around £20-50k).  Personally I like the traditional narrowboats or Dutch barges but my partner prefers the more modern cruisers (is that the right word?).  We are not at the age to undertake a project (and don't have the skills) so would like one we can  use straight away that has facilities (a shower is a must for me!)  All advice very grateful.  Thanks in advance.

Welcome newbie. 

Here is a site that will answer a lot of questions.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating

And here is a popular site of boats on sale, you can search within your price range and see what you fancy.

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk

Edited by restlessnomad

As you live in Kent (let's assume it's somewhere in the middle where fast road are at a premium...), be aware that travel by car can be 'a pain'.

The M25 is most unpleasant anywhere from the M20 to the M40 junctions - which take the gloss of your whole trip. Even going via Dartford for the more eastern side of the canal system is slightly less so because it's a shorter run.

(We libe across the border(s) in West Sussex and the trip to Marlow on the Thames take 2 hours and that's not a pleasant drive anymore.

If you're more interested in a cruiser type boat - then the Thames is a better waterway for you, attended lock service, mebe some pubs still surviving, lots of places to moor and plenty of space.

If you go for a narrowboat, the the canal and river system(s) offer yo a huge range of boating with the advantage of being able to move your mooring from one marina to another where the marinas are in the same business group.

However, before everyone gets into more details, you need to indicate (difficult 'cos you know norra-lot about boating yet) whereabouts you think you might be based - Thames, Mudway, home counties, midlands, uncharted north....

You did not mention in your post whether you have ever hired a boat, if not can I suggest you do before contemplating spending lots of money. It really is "Marmite" you either love it or hate it, there is no in between and it is an expensive hobby. A realistic figure to run a narrowboat for a year after you purchase it would be between £4000-£5000.

Do the research before spending the money. 

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Boatnewbie said:

As KenK has said above, I would suggest that you hire a boat on the type of waterway you are thinking of using, so could be the Thames, the canals or even the Broads. Looking at hire boat company brochures or web sites will give you an idea of what different types of boats are like and will answer many of the other questions you have asked. 

A quick search on this forum will bring up lots of threads about insurance and licences.