Interior refit - any suppliers for panels

notts_alan

Featured Posts

As the title suggests I'm looking for suppliers for interior panelling , I have found a couple with a great selection but you need to be trade to register.

I'm thinking of modernising the look , the old panels are still solid , do you think I would need to strip it all out or just go over ? I was thinking maybe 25 mm battens then secure new boards to that , also put a layer of kingspan in between for extra insulation , it's a widebeam so losing a couple of inch is no problem , even headroom is plenty.

Any thoughts , ideas welcome.

1 minute ago, notts_alan said:

I was thinking maybe 25 mm battens then secure new boards to that , also put a layer of kingspan in between for extra insulation ,

Yeah, why not?  Go for it :)

A word of caution before you "go for it". If you're going over the existing paneling I think you need to be aware that hanging a load more weight onto whatever method was used to fit the original lining onto the interior of the cabin sides and roof might end up pulling the whole lot down. Adding new battens, insulation and a new layer of ply is basically doubling the weight on the original fixings so I'd test a section first.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

Assuming this is a narrow boat. It is a lot off your inside volume. 25mm battens each side, plus say 9mm each side for panels. That will be significant on something around 6' wide. The window recesses will be deeper, which will make the interior seem darker. Especially if you have portholes.

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

A word of caution before you "go for it". If you're going over the existing paneling I think you need to be aware that hanging a load more weight onto whatever method was used to fit the original lining onto the interior of the cabin sides and roof might end up pulling the whole lot down. Adding new battens, insulation and a new layer of ply is basically doubling the weight on the original fixings so I'd test a section first.

Cheers Blackrose , definitely have to think about that .

Yes it's a widebeam narrow boat.

9 hours ago, Cinimod said:

If you have not already bought the insulation - you may like to check out - http://www.vacuum-panels.co.uk/vacupor-products/

I saw them recently on an episode of fully charged and they are supposed to have pretty amazing insulation properties - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSE8PurhfQs

I will have a look when I get a decent internet signal.

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Assuming this is a narrow boat. It is a lot off your inside volume. 25mm battens each side, plus say 9mm each side for panels. That will be significant on something around 6' wide. The window recesses will be deeper, which will make the interior seem darker. Especially if you have portholes.

Plenty of large windows , with the deeper window recesses made me think of possible double glazing , there would be more depth for the frames .

27 minutes ago, Sir Percy said:

Just a suggestion: if the existing lining is sound, and you just want to freshen up cosmetically, why not just apply a veneer, or sand and varnish, etc.?

Or paint...

1 minute ago, Sir Percy said:

...or paper, or Artex(!). I'm guessing that @notts_alan wants to keep the 'wood look' if he's thinking about panelling over the top.

That was my initial assumption, but then he doesn't actually say wood panelling... so maybe he's looking for decor panels

Sorry for late reply , phone broke , the interior wood is in good condition , the panels are fine , it's the Mrs who wants to change the look , it's a 3 bedroom at the moment and we are going to remove one room and have a larger main bedroom ,change shower room to a wet room , new kitchen .

I suppose painting might keep her happy and would be nice and easy compared to panelling , I just prefer no paint , lol.

We're thinking of changing the walling and the roof needs replacing as the vents have leaked. Also cheap plastic panels in shower area have cracked and come away from the wall

Looking at the "plastic" bathroom and kitchen panels that come in a myriad of colours and finishes which are light in weight and colour.

Not the trad look but you can only have so much varnished tongued and grove