Solar gone funny

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, dunfixing said:

Update on my stripy FlexibleSolar panels, it would seem the offending covering comes off with the application of soapy water and a sponge, now they look as they should and work back to 100% .

Might it have been the manufacturer’s protective film covering that no-one thought to remove (before now)?

• Happy 1

18 hours ago, dunfixing said:

Update on my stripy FlexibleSolar panels, it would seem the offending covering comes off with the application of soapy water and a sponge, now they look as they should and work back to 100% .

Only seen on YouTube videos, but...: You might be able to get a clear vinyl covering, used to protect headlight lenses. An old lens after being polished back to get rid of crazing and yellowing has lost the coating originally on the lens when new that stops UV degrading the plastic lens. The correct vinyl has the right refraction (index) level and should do everything the solar panel's original coating did. Only any use to you if you could buy it in sheets or off the roll. Never tried. 

OK, if you Google "headlight protective vinyl", there seems to be plenty of options. 

Edited by Higgs

11 hours ago, WotEver said:

Might it have been the manufacturer’s protective film covering that no-one thought to remove (before now)?

Yes I thought the same thing, but there was no sign that the film was removable.

having researched these flexible panels on the Internet it would seem they have only a short life, I should of gone rigid.

50 minutes ago, dunfixing said:

Yes I thought the same thing, but there was no sign that the film was removable.

having researched these flexible panels on the Internet it would seem they have only a short life, I should of gone rigid.

But it seems that only a protective coating went bad. Short of cracking or developing an electrical problem, yours seems to be functioning ok. You may find that now you have removed the coating, the panels will be subject to material degrading through UV, as indeed was the coating itself, which needs replacing. The coating also provides the day to day protection.  

Edited by Higgs

1 hour ago, dunfixing said:

Congratulations - It takes a long while to get the 'understanding' and accept reality Grasshopper, but eventually you will succeed and see the truths in life. the first one being 'flexible panels are more trouble than they are worth, do not produce as much as rigids, and do not last as long.

If, as the OP says, the panel is working satisfactorily again, it would seem the panel is once again performing. There is an inexpensive way to extend the useful life of this flexible panel, which I would use and is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new panel - of any description.  

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Congratulations - It takes a long while to get the 'understanding' and accept reality Grasshopper, but eventually you will succeed and see the truths in life. the first one being 'flexible panels are more trouble than they are worth, do not produce as much as rigids, and do not last as long.

And you still see people recommending them on Facebook because they have had them 2 years almost and they are great, they even point out videos where they are featured 

• Greenie 1