It's the 4th July and the cut be like......

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, dor said:

We've normally showed up on spec, but book for the return.  

Got caught out last year,  turned up late morning but told no free spots. Ok I said, how about in the morning. " only guaranteed if you book", I.e. 'next available slot' doesn't carry over to the next day .

I have had that - then asked if there were any slots available for early passage the following morning.

She said yes, lots of slots so I said thanks and left.  The following morning I asked for a next available passage and was told to go right in. :)

2 minutes ago, 1agos said:

The Coventry canal is very quiet.

Yes, we went up to Springwood week before last and back down this week. Now moored just short of Fazeley Junction. No more boats today than yesterday or day before.

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Waiting for a well known engineer at bottom of Napton, booked for monday. 
Crt aware. First overstay request since 1981....

Whats broken?

We've done Lapworth and Hatton today, only saw a couple of boats going up Lapworth and four or five going up Hatton. Thought Kate Boats would have had a lot out but only saw two of their boats.

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Usage charges don't apply if you have a long term (3, 6 or 12 months) CRT Canal & River licence 

Booking fee doesn't apply if you turn up and take the next available transit.

I thought they were doing bookings only at the moment like the tunnel, booking is free in the "non cruising" season

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought they were doing bookings only at the moment like the tunnel, booking is free in the "non cruising" season

Ah, yes.  I'd missed that bit!  The booking office is closed, so it's impossible to turn up and request a passage.

Online or phone bookings only, and at least 48hrs in advance is the current system.

35 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We've done Lapworth and Hatton today, only saw a couple of boats going up Lapworth and four or five going up Hatton. Thought Kate Boats would have had a lot out but only saw two of their boats.

On the way to Calcutt this morning, because of a road closure, we crossed the GU on the bridge at the tail of Welsh Road lock.  There were two Kate Boats boats in the lock going down.  This was just before midday, and they would have done 14 locks and perhaps 4 miles from Stockton top, so they must have sent them out early this morning. Calcutt were busy sending them out when we left the marina at about 2pm.

1 hour ago, 1agos said:

The Coventry canal is very quiet.

It will be, Atherstone lock 10 is broken.

We've had at least 4 share boats , 1 hire boat from Gayton past this afternoon, and a couple of Union Canal boats from Braunston.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Whats broken?

Hopefully not the locks.

Edited by matty40s

30 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We've had at least 4 share boats , 1 hire boat from Gayton past this afternoon, and a couple of Union Canal boats from Braunston.

Hopefully not the locks.

Gayton had most of the boats still tied up as I passed earlier at about 3 ish- loads of people milling about and on the boats though so expect them all tomorrow ?

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

On its own, yes, but the thin end of the wedge of creeping charges - all those canals where the water levels are low, and you need to 'book a lock' - could these be next (to cover C&RT staff costs of having to turn up especially)

Years ago, before the renovation I am fairly sure we had to pay a fairly nominal sum to use the lift, BUT it is the thin of the wedge I remember too  when Paddington basin openned there was  no problem getting a free mooring as there was a strict 7 day limit and no return rule that all went out of the window and now you have to pay if you want a chance of mooring.

11 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Gayton had most of the boats still tied up as I passed earlier at about 3 ish- loads of people milling about and on the boats though so expect them all tomorrow ?

I wouldn't want to be a novice hirer going out today,  it's blowing a gale out there.

1 hour ago, Rickent said:

We came through Fradley yesterday through to Swarkestone and only saw one hire boat,  but there were more boats moving in general than we had seen in the previous fortnight. 

I've yet to see a hire boat since the lockdown. Since Exellence Afloat folded the only local hire base is at Glascote. 

12 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I've yet to see a hire boat since the lockdown. Since Exellence Afloat folded the only local hire base is at Glascote. 

I am expecting to see a fair few coming my direction today from Sawley as I head that way. 

Busy between Napton and Braunston, at least 20 boats past in the last hour.

47 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The hire boats that left Napton yesterday will probably be coming past you on Wednesday!

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Busy between Napton and Braunston, at least 20 boats past in the last hour.

The hire boats that left Napton yesterday will probably be coming past you on Wednesday!

Only if CRT fix Lock 10 at Atherstone. ?

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Correct they don't - BUT the 'booking fee' does apply if you book (I never previously paid any 'booking fee', it appears to be a new charge (sorry administration fee) for using the lift).

The booking fee ha been around for years, remember paying it in 2014

Its quiet down here south of Banbury and only one hire boat yesterday from Daves place at Heyford. It looks like there were not as many numpties out in the pubs as expected yesterday so thats good.

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

Didn’t know it was bust!  There is no stoppage notice so I expect they don’t know there is a problem.

They do know, I spoke to the CRT bods yesterday who were trying to fix it, there is a short thread on here about it