It's the 4th July and the cut be like......

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Personally I am not overly concerned that a hire boat appears to have been let out of the base a day early. But also I am not going comment on a companies apparent rule breach without being in full posession of all the facts.

There were a lot of forum members seemed to be either seriously considering or actually doing overnight stays when not allowed.  Why should hire boats be any different, particularly when only by a matter of hours rather than days.

6 minutes ago, Jerra said:

There were a lot of forum members seemed to be either seriously considering or actually doing overnight stays when not allowed.  Why should hire boats be any different, particularly when only by a matter of hours rather than days.

If the base only does mainly Friday changeover, it would make sense to get them gone a day early, rather than lose another weeks hire.

I do know of a couple of hire boats that have been hired out during lockdown by key NHS workers who couldnt stay in their normal homes due to at risk people living there as well. 

• Greenie 1

On 07/07/2020 at 21:23, ditchcrawler said:

Busy on the Coventry and B&F

We actually had one boat pass us whilst moored above Curdworth Top Lock and 4 coming the other way when we headed onto Birmingham.

46 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The Ashby is busier than I have experienced in the past, we met well over a dozen boats in 4 hours, thankfully they were leaving so there may be more room for us, saw 4 hire boats and a day boat

Quite a few boats have said to us they were heading for the Ashby. When we came past the junction a couple of days ago the boat in front and one heading towards us turned up there so we kept going.

46 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The Ashby is busier than I have experienced in the past, we met well over a dozen boats in 4 hours, thankfully they were leaving so there may be more room for us, saw 4 hire boats and a day boat

Quite a few boats have said to us they were heading for the Ashby. When we came past the junction a couple of days ago the boat in front and one heading towards us turned up there so we kept going.

12 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

From Monday 10:00 to 17:15 at Watford but 10:15 to 15:15 at Foxton.

7 day operation is now running and the hours from Monday are 08:00 - 18:00 (last boat 17:15).

Where have all the boats gone? It is really quiet on the Leeds & Liverpool this week. Never a super busy wwaterway but the lockies on the flights coming up out of Leeds said they are on single figures boat movements a day when would normally be double that by now. Still plenty of gongoozlers at Bingley 5 Rise but I think there was only 2 boats came up yesterday.

Could do with a few more boats to be honest it would help break up some of the weed. I've had several trips down the hatch.

We've been between Napton and Braunston for 6 days, only moving yesterday. It seemed pretty manic at the weekend but quietened down considerably by mid-afternoon on Sunday. Since then it has felt pretty normal for the time of year although we have usually left the area by mid-July for our summer trip. 

When we left the marina Friday lunchtime there didn't seem to be any more parked cars than usual and no more empty pontoons than usual. It may have been different by Saturday but we are rarely there at the weekend.

1 hour ago, jpcdriver said:

Where have all the boats gone? It is really quiet on the Leeds & Liverpool this week. Never a super busy wwaterway but the lockies on the flights coming up out of Leeds said they are on single figures boat movements a day when would normally be double that by now. Still plenty of gongoozlers at Bingley 5 Rise but I think there was only 2 boats came up yesterday.

Could do with a few more boats to be honest it would help break up some of the weed. I've had several trips down the hatch.

They are all on the Coventry, been pretty much non-stop boats from 08:00-18:00 for since the lockdown relaxation.

2 hours ago, jpcdriver said:

Where have all the boats gone? It is really quiet on the Leeds & Liverpool this week.

Barrowford Flight is broken again and there is threat of a local lockdown in Blackburn in the next 2 weeks so there won't be many boats transiting the full length.  Quite busy at the Liverpool end, and Wigan locks are fairly busy too.

The stoppage at Figure of Three locks on the Calder & Hebble won't be helping either as it blocks two of the three Pennine rings.