It's the 4th July and the cut be like......

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Arrived at Foxton this morning. No queue,  but two boats ascending. Down on our lonesome. Passed three boats into Market Harborough. Moored up on the last visitor mooring before the basin, then washed the boat!

Not many of the hire boats out here yet.

11 hours ago, Rob-M said:

It's going to be a busy week for you, I expect we will be past on Thursday or Friday.

We are out for a couple of hours on Thursday, but will keep an eye out for you and wave if we see you.

11 hours ago, pearley said:

She waved to us as well on Thursday. We were towing a broken down boat to Glascote Basin.

Thinking about it, it was Wednesday, before we picked up the broken down boat at Amington.

17 hours ago, Athy said:

That depends where you are.

We took advantage of being allowed to stay on our boat and went over there on Saturday, the first possible day. We were quite surprised to see two Black Prnce boats pass our mooring (which is just below Cropredy town bridge) yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. I think their base is somewhere near Napton Junction. Another one passed us this morning as we were packing up to come home. The Sunday arrivals presumably left the base at the earliest opportunity (2. p.m., isn't it?) and must have boated till late in the evening going up the flight. That's quite feasible at this time of year as it's daylight until about half past nine, but they must have cracked on.

I've never seen hire boats looking so spruce in July!

Why does it depend on where I am?  The hire boat was being stayed on before the 4th July.

15 hours ago, matty40s said:

Who gives a stuff, I dont think anyone with common sense is listening to this government any more.

Seen the first weekly hire Wyvern go past today, lots of Canaltimes,(formerly CanalClub, formerly Canaltime) both ways since Saturday...along with all the Napton/ Calcutt hire boats

I wasn't particularly bothered about the covid issue, but it seems unfair to me that some companies are gaining a (small) financial advantage by breaking rules.  It's been a theme the whole time.  Honest business who are trying to do the right thing have been at a disadvantage to businesses who have flouted the rules.  If the government isn't interested then individuals can choose where they spend their money.

14 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I would think some hire companies will have let people pick their boats up early on Saturday, given they won't have had to turn them around that day.

Not sure why an Ashby boat would be out on Friday, unless of course it wasnt actually on hire.

It may not have been on hire, but the occupants seemed pretty new to boating, so I can confidently say it wasn't anyone's primary residence.

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Why does it depend on where I am? 

Because the nearer you are to a hire base, the earlier a boat would reach you. If you were 50 miles from one, it would take a couple of days for a boat to do that journey. If you moor next door to one, then it would be only a couple of minutes.

Just now, Athy said:

Because the nearer you are to a hire base, the earlier a boat would reach you. If you were 50 miles from one, it would take a couple of days for a boat to do that journey. If you moor next door to one, then it would be only a couple of minutes.

But the boat was out BEFORE the 4th of July.  Unless the boat had a flux capacitor installed, the distance from the hire base is irrelevant.

15 hours ago, matty40s said:

I dont think anyone with common sense is listening to this government any more.

Please remember that this thread is not in the Politics section, and try to avoid including controversial political comment in your posts here.

19 minutes ago, haggis said:

Set off from park farm marina yesterday and despite seeing several boats pass while we were getting ready to set off, we saw hardly any on the move. 

They're all heading your way from Middlewich this morning, here at bridge 178.

MP.

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

But the boat was out BEFORE the 4th of July.  Unless the boat had a flux capacitor installed, the distance from the hire base is irrelevant.

Personally I am not overly concerned that a hire boat appears to have been let out of the base a day early. But also I am not going comment on a companies apparent rule breach without being in full posession of all the facts.

Set against the behaviour of some of the idiots who were in the pubs and streets on 'Independence' day I reckon the associated risks of both scenarios are far from comparable.

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Maybe out for the day or getting instruction

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe out for the day or getting instruction

If only.  As I said, they moored for the night right by me.  Youngish couple statying on the boat.  When they arrived, he was steering, she was in the front cratch.  When they left, the same arrangements.  No instruction going on.

13 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Just wondering, would it have been legal to have gone out on 3rd July, provided nobody went to sleep before midnight?

I was wondering that as well. If it was legal for barbers to open at midnight then I don't see why not. Probably the hire company thought the same.

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Please remember that this thread is not in the Politics section, and try to avoid including controversial political comment in your posts here.

It was a comment about common sense and boating, , not politics.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Prince William was pictured in a pub garden drinking cider before 4th July, does he attract the same naughty badge.

referring to our future head of state is also clearly political.  The only one round here in line for a naughty badge is you.

6 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

referring to our future head of state is also clearly political.  The only one round here in line for a naughty badge is you.

Surely our head of state is meant to be apolitical?  If so, any associated comment can be sycophantic/rude/treasonous etc but not political.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

I was wondering that as well. If it was legal for barbers to open at midnight then I don't see why not. Probably the hire company thought the same.

I thought the restriction was not staying on the boat overnight - no restriction on what you did whilst aboard!