It's the 4th July and the cut be like......

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Thanks, interesting on both counts. You didn't mention moored boats on the way to Braunston so I'm assuming that stretch was fine.

We won't be venturing through any locks apart from Calcutt this time. Depending how we feel we will probably come back to the boat again for another 5 or 6 days after a few days back home and might then venture a little further afield, maybe down to Cropredy or Banbury.

I did fancy a trip to the Thames (Lechlade) again this year but for family reasons I doubt we'll be able to get away for long enough to do it justice. 

There were a lot of boats moored  in the usual locations between Napton and Braunston on Say night, but plenty of space and a good number moved off Sunday morning before us.

sounds like you are doing similar to us, boat will be back in Calcutt marina Friday, we will be visiting out son In Wales at the weekend as we will be allowed to by then.  Then we have a restaurant booking a Monday night, which was the first we could get, then back to boat on Tuesday if weather is OK.

Sorry, late to the thread, but can I just check:  Hire boats shouldn't have been out before saturday the 4th?  Because I had a hire boat from the Ashby Boat Company come and moor by me last Friday, stay the night, then continue their journey the next day?  Were they being naughty?

First hire boat since lockdown has just come past, a Black Prince boat (presumably from Stoke Prior?) heading towards Atherstone.

21 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Sorry, late to the thread, but can I just check:  Hire boats shouldn't have been out before saturday the 4th?  Because I had a hire boat from the Ashby Boat Company come and moor by me last Friday, stay the night, then continue their journey the next day?  Were they being naughty?

Perhaps they were taking it back to base, having been locked down on it for over 3 months? ?

Edited by cuthound
To insert spaces between merged posts

I've seen a couple of Willow Wren boats from Rugby heading south down the Ashby, presumably after turning at the terminus.  They don't hang about do they?!!

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Perhaps they were taking it back to base, having been locked down on it for over 3 months? ?

If they were, then they were lost, they were heading away from the hire base. :blink:

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

We passed an Ashby boat, can remember exactly where and when, but around Braunston on Sunday morning, I guess if they had got off early Saturday morning they could have got there by then.

Why rush when the company will send you out on Friday?

Busy at napton. We moved off the minute the engine was back together.

walking back to the car all the moorings except the two nearest taps were taken.

some of the  boats that were there when we went down the oxford 10 days ago were still on the 48s. Maybe they were broken down too.
Very busy all the time we were working on the boat.

Apologies for the smoke signals billowing over Napton. I hear cars had to put their headlights on.

The whole boat was covered in oily lumps once she was re started.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

That depends where you are.

We took advantage of being allowed to stay on our boat and went over there on Saturday, the first possible day. We were quite surprised to see two Black Prnce boats pass our mooring (which is just below Cropredy town bridge) yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. I think their base is somewhere near Napton Junction. Another one passed us this morning as we were packing up to come home. The Sunday arrivals presumably left the base at the earliest opportunity (2. p.m., isn't it?) and must have boated till late in the evening going up the flight. That's quite feasible at this time of year as it's daylight until about half past nine, but they must have cracked on.

I've never seen hire boats looking so spruce in July!

Edited by Athy

46 minutes ago, cuthound said:

First hire boat since lockdown has just come past, a Black Prince boat (presumably from Stoke Prior?) heading towards Atherstone.

Its a long way from Stoke Prior to Atherstone. Canal plan says more than 4 days at 7 hours per day.

4 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Its a long way from Stoke Prior to Atherstone. Canal plan says more than 4 days at 7 hours per day.

Yes, I originally thought from Great Haywood, but their website no longer lists that as a base.

The next nearest is Stoke (Festival Gardens).

25 minutes ago, Athy said:

That depends where you are.

We took advantage of being allowed to stay on our boat and went over there on Saturday, the first possible day. We were quite surprised to see two Black Prnce boats pass our mooring (which is just below Cropredy town bridge) yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. I think their base is somewhere near Napton Junction. Another one passed us this morning as we were packing up to come home. The Sunday arrivals presumably left the base at the earliest opportunity (2. p.m., isn't it?) and must have boated till late in the evening going up the flight. That's quite feasible at this time of year as it's daylight until about half past nine, but they must have cracked on.

I've never seen hire boats looking so spruce in July!

As all the boats were at base ready to go on Saturday morning, some hire boat went out in the morning, so easy to Cropredy on Sunday.  Getting off early being a bit of a bonus to people who took the chance and booked for the 4th.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Who gives a stuff, I dont think anyone with common sense is listening to this government any more.

Seen the first weekly hire Wyvern go past today, lots of Canaltimes,(formerly CanalClub, formerly Canaltime) both ways since Saturday...along with all the Napton/ Calcutt hire boats

Edited by matty40s

We have reached our destination for this weeks little soirée , the Greyhound  at Hawksbury.  Welcome to the new normal.  Only outside the front in a marquee and the garden at the side are open, you book a 2 hour slot for a drink and order on your phone with a QR code.  They have really adapted well though, it’s a shame that inside is too small to be used though.

I would think some hire companies will have let people pick their boats up early on Saturday, given they won't have had to turn them around that day.

Not sure why an Ashby boat would be out on Friday, unless of course it wasnt actually on hire.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Why rush when the company will send you out on Friday?

Hire boaters pay huge sums to the hire companies so they tend to spend lots of their holiday actually boating rather than moored up.

5 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Thanks, interesting on both counts. You didn't mention moored boats on the way to Braunston so I'm assuming that stretch was fine.

We won't be venturing through any locks apart from Calcutt this time. Depending how we feel we will probably come back to the boat again for another 5 or 6 days after a few days back home and might then venture a little further afield, maybe down to Cropredy or Banbury.

I did fancy a trip to the Thames (Lechlade) again this year but for family reasons I doubt we'll be able to get away for long enough to do it justice. 

The trip from Calcutt to Braunston was not that busy, quite a few boats heading away from Braunston, boats moored by bridge 103 and 100 but still plenty of space. Didn't see anybody walking or cycling the tow path.

55 minutes ago, john6767 said:

We have reached our destination for this weeks little soirée , the Greyhound  at Hawksbury.  Welcome to the new normal.  Only outside the front in a marquee and the garden at the side are open, you book a 2 hour slot for a drink and order on your phone with a QR code.  They have really adapted well though, it’s a shame that inside is too small to be used though.

According to their website you can order take away as well which is what we might do later in the week.

On 05/07/2020 at 09:03, cuthound said:

I've yet to see a hire boat since the lockdown. Since Exellence Afloat folded the only local hire base is at Glascote. 

We trundled by today and said hello to Mrs Cuthound, we will be trundling back again tomorrow

35 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We trundled by today and said hello to Mrs Cuthound, we will be trundling back again tomorrow

She waved to us as well on Thursday. We were towing a broken down boat to Glascote Basin.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

According to their website you can order take away as well which is what we might do later in the week.

Just got back to the boat, it was great in their garden, very impressed by how organised they are.  The food looked good, but we only had drinks.  On the online booking there were no slots available, but we had no problem with walk up, and it was quite quiet when we left at 8, but then it is a Monday!