It's the 4th July and the cut be like......

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Met some friends for a pint in the Brasenose in Cropredy yesterday lunchtime, not very busy at all. I suspect it is only in the cities that pubs will be busy.

Sadly the beer was served in plastic pint pots, perhaps this is a sensible way to stop the covid spread but we don’t need more plastic in the world and I don’t like drinking out of plastic 

2 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Met some friends for a pint in the Brasenose in Cropredy yesterday lunchtime, not very busy at all. I suspect it is only in the cities that pubs will be busy.

Sadly the beer was served in plastic pint pots, perhaps this is a sensible way to stop the covid spread but we don’t need more plastic in the world and I don’t like drinking out of plastic 

It is to avoid spreading covid, they should be used once and put in the recycling bin so the bar person needs never touch them when Joe public has used them. Whilst I agree that they are orrible its the new normal for the forseeable. If they are like the ones used here then they are a new recyclable plastic but dont look like it 

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

They do know, I spoke to the CRT bods yesterday who were trying to fix it, there is a short thread on here about it

You have the quote out of context, I was referring to all the hire boats that were heading down Stockton yesterday, and likely doing the Warwickshire ring.  I doubt they knew about this.  I see CRT have now put out a stoppage notice.

10 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You have the quote out of context, I was referring to all the hire boats that were heading down Stockton yesterday, and likely doing the Warwickshire ring.  I doubt they knew about this.  I see CRT have now put out a stoppage notice.

My apologies 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

Didn’t know it was bust!  There is no stoppage notice so I expect they don’t know there is a problem.

I've just received a stoppage notice, no indication of when they will be fixing it.

Came up Tardebigge on Thursday - didnt see another boat moving at all until 6pm. The previous two days were almost as quiet. It picked up a bit on Saturday with half a dozen hire boats going past and a steady stream today (4-5 an hour)- mainly non hire.

The tow path has been heaving wherever we have stopped - is this the 'new normal' for peeps taking excercise?

We stopped at Anglo Welsh at the top of Tardebigge for a pump out on Friday and they said they had 4 boats to go out Saturday, 4 on Sunday and another 4 on Monday - so they are phasing in the new 'season'. With all the rain yesterday and this 'breeze' today, it cant be a good weekend for all the peeps returning to their boats.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

The tow path has been heaving wherever we have stopped - is this the 'new normal' for peeps taking excercise?

It's been like that since we left Newark 4 weeks ago.  From Stoke Lock on there have been continuous streams of walkers and cyclists. Stopped to shop at Sainsbury's in Nottingham but so many people on the towpath made us feel distinctly uneasy so just shopped and left. 

Even locks where you wouldn't expect onlookers like Cranfleet, Aston and Weston  there were people around the lockside to the extent you had to ask them to move.

The cafe at Stenson was doing takeaway so plenty of people there.

We tend to moor away from the 'normal' spots but that hasn't stopped the walkers.

Edited by pearley

40 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I've just received a stoppage notice, no indication of when they will be fixing it.

Yes I gave it as well now.  If this was known about yesterday it’s a shame they did not get the notice out straight away, but then the process does not seem very good at weekends.  Hopefully it will be fixed by mid week.

26 minutes ago, pearley said:

It's been like that since we left Newark 4 weeks ago.  From Stoke Lock on there have been continuous streams of walkers and cyclists. Stopped to shop at Sainsbury's in Nottingham but do many people on the towpath made us feel distinctly uneasy so just shopped and left. 

Even locks where you wouldn't expect onlookers like Cranfleet, Aston and Weston  there were people around the lockside to the extent you had to ask them to move.

The cafe at Stenson was doing takeaway do plenty of people there.

We tend to moor away from the 'normal' spots but that hasn't stopped the walkers.

I've been saying this for months. The towpaths changed at the start of lockdown and they're showing no signs of returning to the status quo ante.

MP.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Bewildered said:

Our local is doing that, Cant see the point, it the bar staff put glasses through the washer they should be fine, and a plastic is handled just as much as a glass before you get it

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I suppose it depends on how long it takes to fix, it is Sunday today don't forget. not everyone is at work

Not the cut, but the Thames is quieter than normal. I have cruised from Pyrford to above Henley ... seen a few narrowboats and day boats, some hirers from Kris (Datchet) and one or two Le Boats. The big white shiny boats are conspicuous by their absence. Plenty of mooring space in most places.

4 minutes ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Not the cut, but the Thames is quieter than normal. I have cruised from Pyrford to above Henley ... seen a few narrowboats and day boats, some hirers from Kris (Datchet) and one or two Le Boats. The big white shiny boats are conspicuous by their absence. Plenty of mooring space in most places.

The big white shiny boats only come out at May Bank Holiday, Henley and August Bank holiday.

4 hours ago, wandering snail said:

What if you bring your own receptacle?

I dont think they can put you in prison for it..........yet.

That said it will be a long time before I visit a pub again.

The thought of drinking in a place with marked off sections akin to a basketball court fills me with dread. A few pubs local to us just havent bothered opening just yet.

On 05/07/2020 at 09:51, john6767 said:

Busy between Napton and Braunston, at least 20 boats past in the last hour.

The hire boats that left Napton yesterday will probably be coming past you on Wednesday!

Is the towpath between Napton and Braunston any busier than normal?

I'm planning on going to the boat later this week and intend to loiter somewhere along that stretch for a 4 or 5 day break away from the house.

I'm not concerned about moving boats and only a little concerned about packed moorings. My main concern is about towpath walkers and cyclists on narrow towpaths. I'm hoping that lack of large population centres in the immediate vicinity will mean this isn't much of a problem. I'm not sure I would fancy mooring in Banbury or Rugby so much at the moment though.

12 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I'm planning on going to the boat later this week and intend to loiter somewhere along that stretch for a 4 or 5 day break away from the house.

I'm not concerned about moving boats and only a little concerned about packed moorings. My main concern is about towpath walkers and cyclists on narrow towpaths. I'm hoping that lack of large population centres in the immediate vicinity will mean this isn't much of a problem. I'm not sure I would fancy mooring in Banbury or Rugby so much at the moment though.

Towpath the same as normal, very few people. 

will tell you what Rugby is like later, we are going down Hillmorton soon.

Edited by john6767

2 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

We are on our way to Braunston so will give an update later today.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

We are on our way to Braunston so will give an update later today.

Just come through Rugby, towpath quiet, but then it is a Monday lunch time.  There are however more boats there than I have ever seen, all the new mooring rings used.

4 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Just come through Rugby, towpath quiet, but then it is a Monday lunch time.  There are however more boats there than I have ever seen, all the new mooring rings used.

Thanks, interesting on both counts. You didn't mention moored boats on the way to Braunston so I'm assuming that stretch was fine.

We won't be venturing through any locks apart from Calcutt this time. Depending how we feel we will probably come back to the boat again for another 5 or 6 days after a few days back home and might then venture a little further afield, maybe down to Cropredy or Banbury.

I did fancy a trip to the Thames (Lechlade) again this year but for family reasons I doubt we'll be able to get away for long enough to do it justice.