It's the 4th July and the cut be like......

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

We're moored at the bottom of Hurleston dam, and it's mad. Sitting out the weekend here, then off over the branch to Anderton and down the lift. Weaver lock are still on worse-than-winter service, so we hope the far ends will be quiet. Lockdown has turned us into even worse misanthropes than we were before.

MP.

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Not sure why it would be much busier today than during the week, unless there is a mad rush to the pubs underway?

Leisure boaters no longer have to look shifty about staying overnight, and the hire fleets are out.

MP.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MoominPapa said:

We're moored at the bottom of Hurleston dam, and it's mad. Sitting out the weekend here, then off over the branch to Anderton and down the lift. Weaver lock are still on worse-than-winter service, so we hope the far ends will be quiet. Lockdown has turned us into even worse misanthropes than we were before.

MP.

Leisure boaters no longer have to look shifty about staying overnight, and the hire fleets are out.

MP.

Ah yes, I forgot about the embargo on boat hire coming to an end.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Have you booked or just going to 'turn up' ?

Booked. There's no choice but to do that, as far as I know.

MP.

Oh, and judging by the number going up Hurleston, the plan to have the last two and half weeks on the Llan, and then scam before D-day was a good one.

MP.

10 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Booked. There's no choice but to do that, as far as I know.

MP.

Reports are that you can book, but there is now an 'administration charge' (not a fee to use the lift because that would be illegal) but you can still turn up and take the next vacant 'slot' free of charge.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/places-to-visit/anderton-boat-lift-visitor-centre/boating-through-anderton-boat-lift

Hidden away in the 'small print' :

"Free of charge if taking the next available slot on the day. Advance booking fees apply to all other passage times"

Booking fees and charges

Booking fee:
£5 single
£10 return
Usage charge:
£20 single narrow beam (<7ft wide)

£30 return narrow beam (<7ft wide)

Private boats

The charges and restrictions vary depending on your licence:

Canal & River Trust 'Canal & River' long term licence holders - 3, 6, or 12 month licence

Canal & River Trust 'Rivers Only' long term licence holders - 3, 6, or 12 month licence

You'll need to upgrade your licence to a 'Canal & River' licence for the duration of your cruise on the canal but are entitled to a 50% discount using a short term licence. (Short term licence upgrade must be in place before passage). Free of charge if taking the next available slot on the day. Advance booking fees apply to all other passage times

Canal & River Trust 'Short Term Only' licence holders - 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or explorer licences. Usage charge applies 
Non Canal & River Trust licenced vessels (ie: Bridgewater Boats) usage charge applies

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Reports are that you can book, but there is now an 'administration charge' (not a fee to use the lift because that would be illegal) but you can still turn up and take the next vacant 'slot' free of charge.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/places-to-visit/anderton-boat-lift-visitor-centre/boating-through-anderton-boat-lift

Booking fees and charges

Booking fee:
£5 single
£10 return
Usage charge:
£20 single narrow beam (<7ft wide)
£30 return narrow beam (<7ft wide)

Usage charges don't apply if you have a long term (3, 6 or 12 months) CRT Canal & River licence 

Booking fee doesn't apply if you turn up and take the next available transit.

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Usage charges don't apply if you have a long term (3, 6 or 12 months) CRT Canal & River licence 

Booking fee doesn't apply if you turn up and take the next available transit.

Correct they don't - BUT the 'booking fee' does apply if you book (I never previously paid any 'booking fee', it appears to be a new charge (sorry administration fee) for using the lift).

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I don't know if the "next available slot" rule applies at the moment. In any case, since there are only 8 slots in each direction, three times a week, turning up on spec and finding that all the slots are full, or none have been booked, so the the crew has not turned up, would be a pain. Worth £5 to avoid that.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

2 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

I don't know if the "next available slot" rule applies at the moment. In any case, since there are only 8 slots in each direction, three times a week, turning up on spec and finding that all the slots are full, or none have been booked, so the the crew has not turned up, would be a pain. Worth £5 to avoid that.

MP.

It would appear to be the case now, as it is on the updated page of the C&RT website.

On its own, yes, but the thin end of the wedge of creeping charges - all those canals where the water levels are low, and you need to 'book a lock' - could these be next (to cover C&RT staff costs of having to turn up especially)

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Does this mean that we all have to pay just to turn up and use the lift?

Did you read it ?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Hidden away in the 'small print' :

"Free of charge if taking the next available slot on the day. Advance booking fees apply to all other passage times"

Andersons in Middlewich were turning out several hire craft this morning, its very busy down near big lock as there is a Floating Market, which was poorly advertised

Bless you C&RT, not doing too well for our wellbeing on the water are they?

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Did you read it ?

I read it well, thank you but its not clear whether there is a fee soley for using the lift come what may. I understood the advanced booking fee but why are the 2 separate fees? You would not book if you wanted NOT to use the lift, would you?

Correct they don't - BUT the 'booking fee' does apply if you book (I never previously paid any 'booking fee', it appears to be a new charge (sorry administration fee) for using the lift).

A booking charge has been in place for quite a few years now, but with free passage if slot available and you've not booked. Not sure how many, if any, free slots there are at the moment.

We booked last time through, as the Weaver was just comng out of flood and we reckoned there would be quite a few boats in the same position as we were. Quite interesting, really: we arrived for our booked slot, moved to the holding mooring,, and were eventually informed that the lift couldn't be operated, as "they couldn't get the wedges in". We moved back to the visitor moorings, and got up the next day. Must confess I couldn't see how high water in the Weaver would affect operation of the wedges which compress the seals on the caisson, but it might be that the higher water level increased the weight of the up going caisson beyond operating parameters.

You have to book the lift for the foreseeable....we usually just rock up but had to pay this time....booked on first one down Monday....really not happy about the charge...I get that they want to stop no shows but this is the thin end of the wedge....ive made my feelings known to CRT and will continue to do so...I pointed out it a navigational asset not a theme park ride...and don't get me started on the reduced hours of the Weaver locks....next they will be saying there isn't the demand for boats on the Weaver.....

• Greenie 3

It's definitely been that way for a few years - though we've always just turned up and taken the first available slot.

45 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Must confess I couldn't see how high water in the Weaver would affect operation of the wedges which compress the seals on the caisson, but it might be that the higher water level increased the weight of the up going caisson beyond operating parameters.

The water level in the caisson is fixed, relative to the caisson, and it has to be the same as the level in the river to avoid sudden weight changes from water flowing in or out when the river gates are opened. This implies that the position of the caisson at the low position changes as the river level changes. The seal between the end of the caisson and the river is therefore wedge shaped and once the caisson is in position it is raised until it seals against matching wedges on the end of the caisson. The higher the caisson, the higher the wedge has to lift. The travel of the wedge is limited so both very high and very low levels in the river make it impossible to seal. We once got stuck on the river when it was very low for this reason.

MP.

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

It's definitely been that way for a few years - though we've always just turned up and taken the first available slot.

We've normally showed up on spec, but book for the return.  

Got caught out last year,  turned up late morning but told no free spots. Ok I said, how about in the morning. " only guaranteed if you book", I.e. 'next available slot' doesn't carry over to the next day .