Boater found dead.

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

So, despite Athy's heroic attempts to get this thread back on topic, we still have no further details concerning this guy's death?

In which case I'll add that in my childhood sentences were started with "Well ....." Or if you'd asked a question the response tended to be "Eh?"

Hence the popular question at the time was "What do horses eat?"

It's interesting that people are more interested in the use of what I will call, for want of a better word "English" than the death of someone who seems to have spent their life seeing to it that no one cares when they're gone.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

'tis fashion, innit?

my parents' generation favoured 'you know'   ..............  when my mum used it my dad would get very angry.

my kids' generation generally favour 'like', although I haven't heard mine using it   ..................    it must be the consequence of an expensive edumakashun that they learned to speek prop'ly.

I prob'ly use some similar phrase but I'm not aware of it ......................  maybe 'basically' ?  

'so basically' ... can drive people mad..

Edited by restlessnomad

17 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

It's interesting that people are more interested in the use of what I will call, for want of a better word "English" than the death of someone who seems to have spent their life seeing to it that no one cares when they're gone.

There is no better word, for English is what it is.

Perhaps it is the surprising absence of further news which has made people lose interest in the man's death. If, tomorrow, a headline such as "Murderer at loose on local canal" appeared, you can bet that people would quickly regain interest.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

So it's, y'know, like, basically a thinking pause.

corrected for you.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

If, tomorrow, a headline such as "Murderer at loose on local canal" appeared, you can bet that people would quickly regain interest.

sorted   .............................  a day early but it'll have to do.     B)

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, Athy said:

There is no better word, for English is what it is.

Perhaps it is the surprising absence of further news which has made people lose interest in the man's death. If, tomorrow, a headline such as "Murderer at loose on local canal" appeared, you can bet that people would quickly regain interest.

Don't know. A murderer is not usually someone who kills for a hobby just someone who kills once. I've not heard any evidence of murder nor suspicious circumstances. The point that the bloke seems to have been widely hated really isn't evidence of anything except that he was a most unlikable person. Move on, nothing to see here seems to be the message.

17 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Move on, nothing to see here seems to be the message.

Yes, it could be either "The police are actively following a line of enquiry" or "the police haven't got a clue".

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or just as likely "the Police have found a body on a boat and are looking into it"

The police have found a body and wont be looking into if too closely as it has done them a huge favour would be my personal take on the matter.

He didn't exactly do himself a lot of favours!

8 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

You ought to, you're in it. Enjoying your break. We are just north of Thrupp at present. Good to chat the other day.

? We are sat on a pitch int rain with the old bat cooking some tea up near Pershore int middle of nowhere. Just cracking open a cider and warming a nice bottle of cognac. Good to see you again. Did the gas fit? 

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

? We are sat on a pitch int rain with the old bat cooking some tea up near Pershore int middle of nowhere. Just cracking open a cider and warming a nice bottle of cognac. Good to see you again. Did the gas fit? 

Youre not really in it. Just a bloke makes me imagine what you were like as a Bobby. 

7 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

A murderer is not usually someone who kills for a hobby just someone who kills once.

Some years ago I was on my first business trip to the USA (I'd been a few times on holiday but had been a different "class" of hotel)

A murderer was attempting to sue a local newspaper for defamation by calling him a Serial Killer - his objection was that "I'm not a serial killer, I've only killed three people so far..."

10 hours ago, zenataomm said:

So, despite Athy's heroic attempts to get this thread back on topic, we still have no further details concerning this guy's death?

Is there any reason why we should any more details on his death.

2 hours ago, 1st ade said:

A murderer was attempting to sue a local newspaper for defamation by calling him a Serial Killer - his objection was that "I'm not a serial killer, I've only killed three people so far..."

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable argument...

Edited by WotEver
phat fingers

35 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is there any reason why we should any more details on his death.

If there are then yes, however if not then no.

I imagined Athy was attempting to gently ease us all towards recognising the topic of this thread, as it was hovering around English Language which didn't really match the title "Boater found dead" very closely. 

Personally  I am less interested in the passing of  an apparent misery than I am in English Language study.  I was a teacher of English as a foreign language in Spain during the 70s.

However as your preference is to ignore thread titles in favour of the direction conversation takes them. I'm happy to point out that you have omitted a suitable verb after your use of the conditional, auxiliary verb should.

Also you're lacking one of these ?

Please have revised version on my desk no later than 8.30am tomorrow morning.  

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I'm happy to point out that you have omitted a suitable verb after your use of the conditional, auxiliary verb should.

Also you're lacking one of these ?

Please have revised version on my desk no later than 8.30am tomorrow morning.  

Be my guest, my interest is boating not English, I hope you never get anything wrong.

Wow - so glad to find this forum as easy going as many others........ Found plenty of good stuff/advice/info trawling around tho - grateful so far.  Keep up the good work, and basically sad over the story that got me reading this thread in the first place.....  :(

Cheers, A