Boater found dead.

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

However, the guy has died.

Regardless of antisocialness of the guy, he obviously had an issue he needed help with, and that wasnt supported by the chaplains or others

Having a boat trashed and stolen from after death is shameful.

Chaplains can only support people who accept their help. They are also volunteers. 

The lack of support by "others" is a bigger worry in my mind. We no longer have a proper safety net for those who need help. those that want help struggle to get it and there are no resources left for those who don't know they need help 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Chaplains can only support people who accept their help. They are also volunteers. 

The lack of support by "others" is a bigger worry in my mind. We no longer have a proper safety net for those who need help. those that want help struggle to get it and there are no resources left for those who don't know they need help 

I agree, it was nice to hear about people at Alan's marina looking out for a boater with health issues.

It might be harder to help out if you are a waterways chaplain or social worker as you are bound by policy, but I suppose they have the back up if things go pear shaped. Either way it's good to look out for eachother, even at a distance.

15 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Why is that "Terrible"?

I'm sure most of us have avoided trouble by the skin of our teeth by following our gut reaction many times in our lives.

Every other animal in the world will choose flight instead of fight if it's available.  Fight is the choice of those cornered, hungry or protecting young.

Indeed. Passive avoidance of trouble used to be commonplace but some of the debates that have led to controversial 'victim' analyses have led to the principle being discontinued. The example cited was reasonably clearly not a case of 'passing by on the other side', which might have been reprehensible.

12 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Diod the court document not show that a WW Chaplain acted as a Mackenzie Friend to this person?

On 03/07/2020 at 19:55, Sir Nibble said:

This morning on the radio I heard "very differential" from a teacher. 

I saw a teacher of English Language on the TV recently and every sentence started with “So...”

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I saw a teacher of English Language on the TV recently and every sentence started with “So...”

This is driving me mad at the moment.

There was a GP doing the same on tv this morning. Every question she was asked, the answer began with, So......At the risk of being accused of being mysonginistic it does appear to be a predominantly female trait, though yes males definitely do it too.

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

This is driving me mad at the moment.

There was a GP doing the same on tv this morning. Every question she was asked, the answer began with, So......At the risk of being accused of being mysonginistic it does appear to be a predominantly female trait, though yes males definitely do it too.

Over here its ‘look’.  Drives me slightly mad as well

8 hours ago, WotEver said:

I notice that too. Once upon a time a capital letter was sufficient to start a sentence. Then the appallingly patronising "basically" became the norm, "so" seems to be the new convention. I would like a definitive differentiation between "amazing", "incredible" and "awesome" as to which represents "good", "better" and "best".

5 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

I notice that too. Once upon a time a capital letter was sufficient to start a sentence. Then the appallingly patronising "basically" became the norm, "so" seems to be the new convention. I would like a definitive differentiation between "amazing", "incredible" and "awesome" as to which represents "good", "better" and "best".

A couple of years ago a youngster referred to my dog as "sick" I informed him she was perfectly well.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 3

On 04/07/2020 at 08:52, manxmike said:

Sorry, mine was an Anschutz match 64. It's so long since I had to sell it (my back gave out) that I don't have a record of the serial number.

I used to do lots of shooting especially clays and b4 that small arms. I stopped when a friend borrowed one and blew someone away with it. Most embarrassing at the time. 

56 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I used to do lots of shooting especially clays and b4 that small arms. I stopped when a friend borrowed one and blew someone away with it. Most embarrassing at the time. 

I think of you, and i think of inspector Thursday in theTV series Endeavour. Why! Who knows?

May i just add a little diversion, adverts. Why on earth does that guy disappear into his setteebecause he has just taken a massive risk of buying a car unseen?

10 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I think of you, and i think of inspector Thursday in theTV series Endeavour. Why! Who knows?

May i just add a little diversion, adverts. Why on earth does that guy disappear into his setteebecause he has just taken a massive risk of buying a car unseen?

Never seen endeavour old boy ?

2 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

'tis fashion, innit?

my parents' generation favoured 'you know'   ..............  when my mum used it my dad would get very angry.

my kids' generation generally favour 'like', although I haven't heard mine using it   ..................    it must be the consequence of an expensive edumakashun that they learned to speek prop'ly.

I prob'ly use some similar phrase but I'm not aware of it ......................  maybe 'basically' ?  

Edited by Murflynn

4 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

'tis fashion, innit?

my parents' generation favoured 'you know'   ..............  when my mum used it my dad would get very angry.

my kids' generation generally favour 'like', although I haven't heard mine using it   ..................    it must be the consequence of an expensive edumakashun that they learned to speek prop'ly.

I prob'ly use some similar phrase but I'm not aware of it ......................  maybe 'basically' ?  

So it's, y'know, basically a thinking pause.

Is there any further information about the boater? If, as earlier posts suggest, he was not a popular man, foul play must be a possibility.

12 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

'tis fashion, innit?

Just verbal tics. A few years ago I heard a politician use the old phrase "the devil's in the detail" and suddenly bang! Every politician used it in every statement. These things seem to spread quicker than covid. Usage is one thing but what irritates me is the uneducated coopting a word they don't know the meaning of to mean something completely different.

So, despite Athy's heroic attempts to get this thread back on topic, we still have no further details concerning this guy's death?

In which case I'll add that in my childhood sentences were started with "Well ....." Or if you'd asked a question the response tended to be "Eh?"

Hence the popular question at the time was "What do horses eat?"