Boater found dead.

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Cheese said:

Someone with the same name - not necessarily the same person - had a disagreement with CRT a few years ago: http://www.bargee-traveller.org.uk/crt-drops-section-8-cases-following-court-of-appeal-judgment/

I despair at the English used in some of these judgements... " it is significantly less unlikely than in the normal run of cases..."

Why didn't they simply say "more likely"?

I'm sure I ran across this guy a few years back somewhere on the Trent & Mersey, had a discussion about engines as he walked on the towpath alongside my boat. Terrible to admit, but I kept to the middle of the cut so he wouldn't try jumping on board!

49 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I despair at the English used in some of these judgements... " it is significantly less unlikely than in the normal run of cases..."

Why didn't they simply say "more likely"?

This morning on the radio I heard "very differential" from a teacher. 

It's like, you know, what I mean, you know, like innit. Anyway who you looking at?

English like what she is spoke and spelded and prolly teached in are skools innit

Edited by manxmike

12 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

This morning on the radio I heard "very differential" from a teacher. 

I reckon that just might be correct, but probably not in the context used, thinking in terms of a differential voltage with a lot of differential and not so much common mode? Is that what they were talking about ? ?

.............Dave

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

IMO the internet/mobile phones are the biggest problem with maintaining any standard of English for a number of reasons:

1.  There are a number of users of the technology who deliberately put things like "innit" into their posts, even though they know it is childish and silly.  (I don't mean you in your clear parody) I mean those who have it in virtually  every post.

2.  The fact it is considered bad manners/infra dig etc to point out to somebody on line mistakes or typos.   If you are never told something is wrong how are you supposed to learn.

3.  CHildren from an early age have the freedom to use "text speak" and "write" things and nobody who reads it is going to correct them so bad habits get ingrained.  

4.  More is "written" in vernacular as it isn't a formal situation which adds to the above.

5.  Proofreading before posting seems to be a dieing art.

Greany awardead

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

As Capt Mainwaring woulkd say "I wondered how long until somebody spotted that".      :D

I didn't even mention 

12 minutes ago, Jerra said:

CHildren

I have learned from experience that any post correcting spelling or grammar invariably gets posted with one or more typos innit. (sic)

1 hour ago, manxmike said:

Terrible to admit, but I kept to the middle of the cut so he wouldn't try jumping on board!

Why is that "Terrible"?

I'm sure most of us have avoided trouble by the skin of our teeth by following our gut reaction many times in our lives.

Every other animal in the world will choose flight instead of fight if it's available.  Fight is the choice of those cornered, hungry or protecting young.

• Greenie 2

20 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I didn't even mention 

I have learned from experience that any post correcting spelling or grammar invariably gets posted with one or more typos innit. (sic)

I wouldn't even dear do it as you can probably tell from my postings, but I do struggle with text speak. If smartphones had been invented before texting we wouldn't have this problem

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wouldn't even dear do it as you can probably tell from my postings, but I do struggle with text speak. If smartphones had been invented before texting we wouldn't have this problem

Muntjak?

Love.

TD'

1 hour ago, dmr said:

I reckon that just might be correct, but probably not in the context used, thinking in terms of a differential voltage with a lot of differential and not so much common mode? Is that what they were talking about ? ?

.............Dave

Um, no. The correct word to have used would have been "different".

The language is being raped on a moment by moment basis. My current pet hate is the word "amazing" as praise for anything and everything good. I've just seen an advert for a car, "experience amazing". Stepping on a landmine on the towpath would be amazing, so would a shark attack on the upper Thames. 

49 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Muntjak?

Love.

TD'

That would be "deer".

6 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Um, no. The correct word to have used would have been "different".

The language is being raped on a moment by moment basis. My current pet hate is the word "amazing" as praise for anything and everything good. I've just seen an advert for a car, "experience amazing". Stepping on a landmine on the towpath would be amazing, so would a shark attack on the upper Thames. 

That would be "deer".

Don't take it all so seriously,  just get yourself down to a newly re-opened beverage destination for a hospitality experience.

"Words are your weapons" but a lot people just don't know how to fire them anymore.

..............Dave

14 minutes ago, dmr said:

Don't take it all so seriously,  just get yourself down to a newly re-opened beverage destination for a hospitality experience.

"Words are your weapons" but a lot people just don't know how to fire them anymore.

..............Dave

Not so much don't know how to fire them, more don't know what way round to hold them or which ones to select. The country is full of people shooting themselves in the foot with a gnu.