Boater found dead.

Featured Posts

From NBW

Boater found dead and boat vandalised

Published: Friday, 03 July 2020

THE liveaboard at Swarkestone Lock who was jailed for common assault has been discovered dead in his boat.

After his body was removed his boat was vandalised and a solar panel, outboard and gas bottles were stolen, then on Wednesday night the boat was set on fire at its mooring below Swarkestone Lock.

Abusive and threatening

It was back in early April that the boater Christopher McKendrick coughed at police stating he was a coronavirus 'super spreader' after complaints of him being abusive and threatening.

He was subsequently arrested after the incident on Thursday 2nd April and given a 16 weeks prison sentence admitting common assault, possession of an offensive weapon, assaulting an emergency worker and using threatening, abusive, insulting words or behaviour to cause harassment, alarm or distress.  He was also ordered to pay a £122 victim surcharge.

Released early

He was released early but last Saturday was discovered dead in his boat at the lock on the Trent & Mersey Canal.  It was after this that his boat was vandalised and then set on fire.

Canal & River Trust have now moved the boat on to the lock landing, where it has since sunk causing a hazard to boaters using the lock.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

He sounds a charmless man, and it looks as if he must have severely upset some equally unlikeable people.

I have a feeling he was the chap who pitched up camp in Lincoln a few years back and caused no end of trouble there.

If it is him he certainly didn't make any friends on the ditch!

5 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Someone with the same name - not necessarily the same person - had a disagreement with CRT a few years ago: 

It would be remarkable if it were not the same person, wouldn't it?

If it is, he'd obviously taken CART's words to heart: they tried to prosecute him for not moving his boat enough, and the case was hears in Bristol. Since then he's fetched up in (we think) Lincoln and in Swarkestone, so he must have kept moving.

25 minutes ago, Athy said:

It would be remarkable if it were not the same person, wouldn't it?

If it is, he'd obviously taken CART's words to heart: they tried to prosecute him for not moving his boat enough, and the case was hears in Bristol. Since then he's fetched up in (we think) Lincoln and in Swarkestone, so he must have kept moving.

I doubt the boat in Lincoln would have made it to the T&M let alone come from Bristol.

If it is the one (from Lincoln) where someone was throwing fireworks onto it to try and get him to move. He had no friends and many enemies.

Watch three yobs throw fireworks in Lincoln boat before blaze

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I doubt the boat in Lincoln would have made it to the T&M let alone come from Bristol.

If it is the one (from Lincoln) where someone was throwing fireworks onto it to try and get him to move. He had no friends and many enemies.

Watch three yobs throw fireworks in Lincoln boat before blaze

Whatever the ramifications and circumstances, one has to feel sorry for the poor sod.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Whatever the ramifications and circumstances, one has to feel sorry for the poor sod.

Not sure you would feel that way if you had the misfortune to be in his vicinity for any length of time :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

No, @Athy made that bit up.

The other boater mentioned in the link, Jones, was from Bristol way.  This chap was noted as being assisted by Derbyshire Social Services in his similar appeal.

Please don't put it it those terms - some people may get the impression that I was intentionally diffusing false news, which of course I was not. I read the (long and boring) piece and did get the impression that both men were heard at Bristol Court. After reading your post, I read it again carefully (making it even longer and even more boring) and finally spotted the Derbyshire reference tucked away right at the end.

So all credit to you for enduring the article right to the end. 

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Please don't put it it those terms - some people may get the impression that I was intentionally diffusing false news, which of course I was not.

I didn't think you were.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

I read the (long and boring) piece and did get the impression that both men were heard at Bristol Court. After reading your post, I read it again carefully (making it even longer and even more boring) and finally spotted the Derbyshire reference tucked away right at the end.

So all credit to you for enduring the article right to the end. 

I read the bit that said it was the Court of Appeal in the first sentence ...

The Jones ruling being appealed was from Bristol County Court, but the McKendrick appeal was stayed pending the result of the Jones appeal.

I do agree it's a very badly written piece, especially when even a former teacher struggled to follow it! :D

• Unimpressed 1

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I didn't think you were.

I read the bit that said it was the Court of Appeal in the first sentence ...

The Jones ruling being appealed was from Bristol County Court, but the McKendrick appeal was stayed pending the result of the Jones appeal.

I do agree it's a very badly written piece, especially when even a former teacher struggled to follow it! :D

Absolutely, and a language teacher too!. The impression given at first was that the blokes were sharing a boat, then that they weren't but they went before the same court, then finally (at a point which most readers surely would not reach) that these were separate incidents a couple of hundred miles away from each other.

My best friend from school days chose the law as a career and I sometimes envied him: but I don't think I could have stood ploughing through reams of such boring piffle. Sure, he had great fun as a lawman, but I had great fun as a schoolmaster too.

1 hour ago, Albion said:

Just found this photo re the court case for assault. Does that look familiar to anyone?

Roger

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 14.47.43.png

thought he would a scruffy looking old dude, this guy was proper chunky 'youngish' lad, could have done some work, made money and lived better life(on a narrowboat).

Edited by restlessnomad

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

this guy was proper chunky 'youngish' lad, could have done some work, made money and lived better life(on a narrowboat).

He was disabled according to the link above.

in August [2017] Christopher McKendrick informed the NBTA that CRT had agreed to re-license his boat without a home mooring and with a reduced cruising pattern due to his disabilities, as he is entitled under the Equality Act to ‘reasonable adjustments’ to CRT’s enforcement procedure.

20 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

He was disabled according to the link above.

in August [2017] Christopher McKendrick informed the NBTA that CRT had agreed to re-license his boat without a home mooring and with a reduced cruising pattern due to his disabilities, as he is entitled under the Equality Act to ‘reasonable adjustments’ to CRT’s enforcement procedure.

Interesting.