Featured Posts

35 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

They hadn't been restored when I did it!

Yes - my week was very leisurely without the run up to Norwood

I think you would be pushed to do it now at a leisurely pace with the weed, reeds and some of the depth issues and also if you want days to explore the local sites. Some boats really struggle to draw water through the summer months.

Edited by PD1964

50 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If you don't do the locks at the end up to Norwood you miss the best bit!

19 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

They hadn't been restored when I did it!

When we did the trip on Fulbourne in 2010 the canal was open to Norwood, but Fulbourne couldn't get through the 6ft 10.5in wide Stret Lock (since rebuilt wider). So we abandoned Fulbourne and hitched a lift with Elaine and Peter Scott (of the On this day photos) on Copperkins II up to the tunnel.

While we were there a narrowboat got jammed in one of the three locks that lead up to Shire Oaks marina. Some of the 'old hands' at the marina offered their expertise to get the boat through but the owner decided against it. 

It is a beautiful canal and I wouldn't worry about retracing your steps. the view is always different when going in the opposite direction. If that was the case we certainly would have got bored with our regular trip to West Stockwith from Clayworth and back to pump out over the last 6 years :) I always look forward to it, especially through Wiseton as I can usually get to see at least one Kingfisher! 

A lot of people suggest there are depth issues and in fairness it isn't the deepest canal but the hire boats are not especially deep draughted and the mistake many make is to treat it like The Trent and Mersey, expecting another boat to be coming around the next bend so they stay over to their side of the canal "just in case" in reality the likelihood of meeting another boat coming in the opposite direction (even in August) is quite remote and so just stick to the channel and don't be tempted to cut corners or try and take the "racing line" around the bends. 

Python can do the entire 32 miles without getting stuck (with an experienced steerer) and she draws 3'3" We are 10' longer on Delhi but only 2'10" - just take things slow and you get there faster. 

Chesterfield Canal Trust do a guide to the canal which is available mail order from their website and there is a lot of other information about the canal and points of interest worth browsing there 

• Greenie 1

A few years ago I did the Chesterfield Canal from West Stockwith to Norwood Tunnel and back in a leisurely 5 days including walking over the route of the Tunnel to explore some of the unrestored canal at the other end. It is a fine canal

1035 Chesterfield Canal Thorpe Low Treble Lock  17th October 2005.JPG

Edited by Tim Lewis