fishing when on your boat permits

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Just new to the canal boat seen do i also have to buy a fishing permit now i used to fish many years a go and would like to take it up  but just want to stay legal 

bill

Look at the Canal and River Trust web site and search for fishing permits where you will find the information you need.

Howard

8 minutes ago, howardang said:

Look at the Canal and River Trust web site and search for fishing permits where you will find the information you need.

Howard

I take it that's a yes i will have to buy one then cant be bothered searching through the Webb site 

bill

EA Trout & Coarse 2 rod license for 12months £30  (https://www.gov.uk/fishing-licences/buy-a-fishing-licence)

CRT Waterway Wanderers Permit for 12 months £22 (https://licensing.canalrivertrust.org.uk/Account/SignIn)

also i think if not on THIS LIST then you'll need a permit from whichever local club rents the rights

On 03/07/2020 at 07:20, Tony Brooks said:

If CRT issue CRT licenses (I don't think they do and just lease water to clubs) you will also need an EA rod license to fish in the UK.

They do.  It's the Waterways Wanderer permit covering all CRT waters where the fishing rights are not managed by another group or club.

• Greenie 1

As Biscuits says the wanderers licence covers non-club waters.

I fish your area when out on the boat and I have a E.A license and CaRT wanderers license, many boaters believe if they fish off their boat they don’t need a license, I fish off the boat or next to it, but I make sure I don’t fish where it states a club permit is required, you have just got to be sensible and if near a match venue and can be seen don’t fish. There’s lots of hidden spots near you for good fishing.

Edited by PD1964
  • Happy 1

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It's amazing how we have evolved, once we used to have to read books, go the the library etc to find information, but then came the internet, and you would be given suggestions as to where to find information without even leaving your chair.

We then seem to evolved into expecting others to do all the research and gives us the answers, saving us even having to do any searching because we 'cannot be bothered' - I wonder what the next step will be ?

Very painful! ???

• Haha 1

Thank you all who posted helpful advice on this thread i went for the EA rod licence as it  seems there is lots of water fishing that dose not nead anything more than that and can buy day permit's for arias that need them and will be getting the CRT wanderers licence as well.

I do wonder if folks stopped asking questions on this forum  and just researched everything their would be no need for the forum their are sum who have had more input negative input and spent more time doing that than actually answering the question. 

So in answer to the question this forum will just fade away what is a forum for to ask questions as usually helpful answers come back it seem that most thread's get bogged down with snide comments and remarks on this  one if i have a question to ask in future no mater what it is i will research it  or get my information from other sources

like i have commented thanks for the advice  if the admin can delete my account and my information that would be very much  appreciated 

i have aided all emales from this forum to my spam on email account

regards bill 

1 hour ago, wildbill said:

Thank you all who posted helpful advice on this thread i went for the EA rod licence as it  seems there is lots of water fishing that dose not nead anything more than that and can buy day permit's for arias that need them and will be getting the CRT wanderers licence as well.

I do wonder if folks stopped asking questions on this forum  and just researched everything their would be no need for the forum their are sum who have had more input negative input and spent more time doing that than actually answering the question. 

So in answer to the question this forum will just fade away what is a forum for to ask questions as usually helpful answers come back it seem that most thread's get bogged down with snide comments and remarks on this  one if i have a question to ask in future no mater what it is i will research it  or get my information from other sources

like i have commented thanks for the advice  if the admin can delete my account and my information that would be very much  appreciated 

i have aided all emales from this forum to my spam on email account

regards bill 

It just seems a shame that having asked for help and someone has taken the time and trouble to tell you where the answers are to be found that you can't be bothered to check if you need a licence or not and you'll just pay for one if you need it or not.

Its probably for the best.

Good bye.

12 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It just seems a shame that having asked for help and someone has taken the time and trouble to tell you where the answers are to be found that you can't be bothered to check if you need a licence or not and you'll just pay for one if you need it or not.

Its probably for the best.

Good bye.

I find the attitude of the OP quite odd (borderline aggressive) to but for the record, I was after similar info and went on the C&RT and tbh I came away non the wiser myself.

If the OP is still lurking bag a EA rod license and plead ignorance on regards to Canal permits...as stated above by someone, don't fish in obvious private/competition areas!

P.s. and if someone gives you info you don't want, just thank them and hope someone else comes along later with the info your after!

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It's amazing how we have evolved, once we used to have to read books, go the the library etc to find information, but then came the internet, and you would be given suggestions as to where to find information without even leaving your chair.

We then seem to evolved into expecting others to do all the research and gives us the answers, saving us even having to do any searching because we 'cannot be bothered' - I wonder what the next step will be ?

Oh come on Alan, you can normally be relied upon to do the info gathering for us!!?

• 1 year later...

rod and line license required to fish river, canal and lakes regardless who owns the fishing rights. private clubs etc.

https://www.gov.uk/fishing-licences/buy-a-fishing-licence

i believe you can fish from the boat without a permit for club waters as they own the fishing rights from the bank/towpath

On 12/07/2020 at 15:17, Alan de Enfield said:

Exceptionally expensive!

1 hour ago, jamie preston said:

i believe you can fish from the boat without a permit for club waters as they own the fishing rights from the bank/towpath

I don't think this is correct.  The Waterways Wanderer permit direct from CRT allows you to fish all non-club sections with the usual restrictions (not closer than 25 metres - over a boat length -  to a lock landing, swingbridge landing etc)

Clubs lease a section of a canal from bridge whatever to bridge wherever and have complete control over fishing rights on that section.  Some offer day tickets, some don't.  I'm not aware of any of them that let you fish their section just because you've moored a boat on their best peg!

If you have evidence to the contrary I'm willing to be educated, but I'd want to see a published statement from the angling club, not a random boater's opinion ...

As i understand it, you need the gov rod licence AND either a relevant permit if it’s club waters OR the CRT Waterway Wanderers permit for any other bit of canal.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/places-to-fish/where-can-i-fish-for-free

The same rules apply if you want to fish from your boat, as your boat licence does not give you any right of fishing.

28 minutes ago, jamie preston said:

agreed, been doing that for about 12 years

I'm with TheBiscuits on this one.

I'm not into fish teasing nor maggot drowning, and sure don't follow the theories ...

"if i'm paying around £1173.70 per annum for my boat license i expect to be able to do a little fishing now and then" sic

"been doing that for about 12 years"

The world doesn't work like that.

I've been hearing the "You don't need a fishing permit to fish from your boat" verbal since 1966.  It wasn't true then and until someone can show evidence to the contrary it won't stand up now.

17 hours ago, Goliath said:

I always understood if you have a rod license you can fish off your boat with no need for any further permits. 
You’re not fishing from the bank.

16 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

As i understand it, you need the gov rod licence AND either a relevant permit if it’s club waters OR the CRT Waterway Wanderers permit for any other bit of canal.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/places-to-fish/where-can-i-fish-for-free

I'm with Hudds on this one. If it worked as per Goliath, then a pair of waders would be all that was needed to avoid the need for a permit.

(Purely theoretical discussion in my case :))