Skirting board / shadow gap

Featured Posts

I posted the other day about flooring to lay on top of these boards in the picture below (and thanks to responses, I'm getting in vinyl samples and catalogues) - thinking ahead to the lining, I'm wondering about how to finish at the meeting with the floor. I was just going to go with a skirting board flush to the floor, but as I've got boards on either side which should be lift-uppable for inspection / bilge maintenance, I paused for thought. Maybe I should leave a little gap to to be able to lift the board without needing to remove the skirting board. Shouldn't need much, as the board is 16" wide. That got me to thinking, why have a skirting board at all, if it doesn't meet the floor? Just leave a gap (which would also allow for movement?).

Any reason for going one way or the other, apart from preference for looks?

edit: forgot to say, a bit more of a gap might allow for later retro-fit of a solid-wood floor.

P1000899.JPG.f52af9a6425569f65a74e3ca79b2756c.JPG

Edited by Sir Percy

Just now, Rob-M said:

Are you having any pipework running along for radiators, water, etc. As we have all the pipes boxed in along the bottom of the side panels to the floor.

No, I'm planning to have a box channel running along the underside of the gunwale.

18 hours ago, Sir Percy said:

No, I'm planning to have a box channel running along the underside of the gunwale.

Central heating and water pipes are usually boxed in over the floor by the side, this helps avoid airlocks developing where pipes have to go up and down to taps or accumulators, radiators etc. As you have to keep 240v and 12 v wiring seperate there is already congestion at the gunwale height for the two sets of cables. The gas pipe is also usually run at gunwale height, cannot be next to wiring and should be visible, or easily uncovered for inspection for the BSS.

3 hours ago, Detling said:

Central heating and water pipes are usually boxed in over the floor by the side, this helps avoid airlocks developing where pipes have to go up and down to taps or accumulators, radiators etc. As you have to keep 240v and 12 v wiring seperate there is already congestion at the gunwale height for the two sets of cables. The gas pipe is also usually run at gunwale height, cannot be next to wiring and should be visible, or easily uncovered for inspection for the BSS.

No central heating, no water (small forecabin).

Useful note on gas / electricity, thanks - a gas pipe exists at gunwale height. I'll either separate off, or more likely run wiring on other side.

4 hours ago, Detling said:

The 12/240 volt separation is not difficult as its considered that the out sheath of 3 core flex count as a ducting/conduit for the 240 volt cable.