Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
mark99

Trivial Things We Fail At

Featured Posts

Apart from drink less, here is my top one.....

Promise myself to leave my glasses in the same one or two places when I remove them so I can always find them.

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Apart from drink less, here is my top one.....

Promise myself to leave my glasses in the same one or two places when I remove them so I can always find them.

I solved that one.

I have half tinted long range and clear long range  for driving which stay in the car.

Then 3 pairs of reading glasses, saloon, bedroom and the smallest room [for relaxation[

Sun glasses, one pair long and one pair reading. For the beach.

TV pair left with the remote.

And the specials for the computer.

In the work shop I have 4 pairs of reading glasses, two of them are safety half goggles.

13 pairs! and a few old pairs that float around wherever I am. Often get left in very odd places, inside old radios, under car bonnets etc. Even found a pair in the fridge once.

With Glasses Direct doing my somewhat difficult prescription for very little money, I don't skimp. Varifocals are not possible with my weird astigmatisms.

Net result, I can find the pair I need with reasonable certainty,         usually!

TD'

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Back in early March I was struggling to find my glasses, having put them down , I thought, somewhere in the kitchen. Hours later, they were still missing, every nook and cranny in house and workshop interrogated. On with the spare pair and eye test booked, new ones collected as lockdown loomed. The bloody things are still missing.....I’m confounded!!

12 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I solved that one.

I have half tinted long range and clear long range  for driving which stay in the car.

Then 3 pairs of reading glasses, saloon, bedroom and the smallest room [for relaxation[

In the work shop I have 4 pairs of reading glasses, two of them are safety half goggles.

13 pairs! and a few old pairs that float around wherever I am. Often get left in very odd places, inside old radios, under car bonnets etc. Even found a pair in the fridge once.

With Glasses Direct doing my somewhat difficult prescription for very little money, I don't skimp. Varifocals are not possible with my weird astigmatisms.

Net result, I can find the pair I need with reasonable certainty,         usually!

TD'

Although I have issues around vision-monocular vision - I'm fortunate in that I can wear varifocal glasses. I could not be doing with constantly changing glasses. The thing I constantly fail with are my hearing aids (maybe my forum name should be bionic man, well, maybe not) . I never wear them and am constantly pointing to my ears when people speak to me

I got used to my single hearing aid quite quickly as I am not deaf to any great degree but have tinnitus in one side and the aid masks it by enhancing the high frequencies so I don't have to concentrate unduly on listening.

TD'

When I lose my glasses the first thing I do is stroke my head...... in case they are tilted upwards. Done that a few times.... looking for glasses whilst they sit there  on my head...

11 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

I wear contact lenses, much easier

When I was working I wore contact lenses to correct myopia Since retiring I found I needed reading glasses as well, so reverted to wearing glasses all the time as one pair works for everything provided I slide them up and down my nose.

Wearing them all the time makes it much harder to lose them! 😁

15 minutes ago, cuthound said:

When I was working I wore contact lenses to correct myopia Since retiring I found I needed reading glasses as well, so reverted to wearing glasses all the time as one pair works for everything provided I slide them up and down my nose.

Wearing them all the time makes it much harder to lose them! 😁

I have lenses so one eye set up for long distance and one for close work. Took about 24 hours to get used to it and have had the system for 10 years or so now. ‘Im Indoors has the same. I spent ridiculous amounts on varifocal lenses and absolutely hated them. 

7 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

I have lenses so one eye set up for long distance and one for close work. Took about 24 hours to get used to it and have had the system for 10 years or so now. ‘Im Indoors has the same. I spent ridiculous amounts on varifocal lenses and absolutely hated them. 

After wearing single-vision contact lenses for may years, I couldn't get used to varifocal contact lenses (ghosting) and struggled with the long/close eye set-up. I found any contact lens long/ close mix a bit of a compromise for sharp distance vision. 

I've ended up wearing varifocal glasses most of the time and single-vision lenses when spending time outside or driving (needing to use reading glasses with the lenses). Perhaps I'll have another go with the near/far lens set up sometime.

I have glasses for ultra close up work (I wear them in addition to my contact lenses) which I use when silversmithing as I need very sharp focus with some very small and intricate pieces. 

13 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I solved that one.

TD'

i'm recently new to specs for reading/close work and did the same, i thought i had gone overkill with four pairs but i am clearly outclassed (doffs cap)

Convincing a web site that my user name and password are absolutely correct, dammit.

Walking to tow path with open sandals on. You get a stone in them. Take off sandal, shake away the stone, quickly, standing on one leg. The amount of times i put my foot down on the towpath after losing balance. Repeat operation until successful.

• Greenie 1

My driving glasses are left in the car and my reading glasses are on a string thingie round my neck all the time, all day so just whizz them up to use and always available.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My driving glasses are left in the car and my reading glasses are on a string thingie round my neck all the time, all day so just whizz them up to use and always available.

My guess is that you use two monocules!  ;)

• Haha 1

But then there are the things that we don't fail at.  Since I've got old, I can catch a falling glass knocked off a table without thinking about it or interrupting what I am talking about.  If I deliberately look at my surroundings I can stand on one leg without wobbling whilst putting clothes on.  I can throw things accurately to exactly where I intended, for example folded together socks go straight into the open drawer at the spot where I aimed. Quite what evolutionary advantage was gained by my acquiring these skills in old age escapes me.

• Greenie 1

Marriage, I can't seem to get the hang of women.

Mind you I've only been married 3 times and lived with another 3 (not all at the same time I add), so perhaps I just haven't enough experience.

I understand them.  When I say "understand"..... I know the words they use ...... individually.  It's when they put them in a sentence I don't really follow what's going on.

My first girl friend told me I was a useless lover, I've never worked out how she could tell after less than a minute.  I think she just might have been overly fussy as my next girl friend would on occasion lose the place in her book.

• Haha 4