Boat insurance again

Featured Posts

Sorry, thought it better to put this under the General Boating section as I’m not a new boater.

Time soon to renew my narrowboat insurance. Last year I switched from Nautical to GJW after many years when they tried to bump up the quote by over 10%.

Sadly GJW have done the same trick and quoted about 13% more than last year (no, I’ve never made a claim). I looked at Basic Boat and was surprised how low their quote is of around £74 for the year. Ok, I appreciate it is just basic but with GJW quoting me around £192 hmmm. Why don’t these companies recognise loyalty? Grr. 

Any recommendations?

Edit to say I’m a live aboard CC’er.

Edited by Rambling Boater

44 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

Why don’t these companies recognise loyalty?

Insurance companies not only recognise loyalty they thoroughly take advantage of it too. 

My late F-i-L was paying hundreds on his car insurance, after a quick visit to a comparison site I found better cover for less than half the price but no, "They've always been good to me, I'd rather stay with them."  I asked "Have you ever made a claim?".  He replied "No, but they offer a very good deal."  No amount of pointing out that their deal really wasn't very good at all would change his mind.

13 hours ago, WotEver said:

Insurance companies not only recognise loyalty they thoroughly take advantage of it too. 

My late F-i-L was paying hundreds on his car insurance, after a quick visit to a comparison site I found better cover for less than half the price but no, "They've always been good to me, I'd rather stay with them."  I asked "Have you ever made a claim?".  He replied "No, but they offer a very good deal."  No amount of pointing out that their deal really wasn't very good at all would change his mind.

I know exactly what you mean. Some of these companies seem happy to rip off the elderly and take advantage of the fact many find it difficult to go on the internet and find other quotes.