Brighouse/ Huddersfield Mooring etc.

umpire111

Featured Posts

Taking boat out from Dewsbury this Saturday. Plan to go to Brighouse and moor. Turn round and then into Huddersfield then back to Dewsbury. Appreciate recommendations for moorings in these towns and on way, any pubs open on this stretch?

1 hour ago, umpire111 said:

Taking boat out from Dewsbury this Saturday. Plan to go to Brighouse and moor. Turn round and then into Huddersfield then back to Dewsbury. Appreciate recommendations for moorings in these towns and on way, any pubs open on this stretch?

Brighouse basin is nice to moor in although it can go up and down depending on the weather. Just above the basin, behind Sainsbury's is a strip you can moor up on and that's ok. I'd probably risk the basin out of the two though. I spent some time in the basin last year and it was fine. As for pubs, I liked the Crafty Fox in the town centre when I was there and The Commercial near the station is a great place too - excellent beers, lots of characters, it's a proper pub.

6 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Brighouse basin is nice to moor in although it can go up and down depending on the weather. Just above the basin, behind Sainsbury's is a strip you can moor up on and that's ok. I'd probably risk the basin out of the two though. I spent some time in the basin last year and it was fine. As for pubs, I liked the Crafty Fox in the town centre when I was there and The Commercial near the station is a great place too - excellent beers, lots of characters, it's a proper pub.

Thanks for that, most useful

We were based in that area for a number of years and found that you could moor OK on the canal sections

1. between Shepley Bridge and Ledgard, access to an Aldi and Co-op at Ledgard end, fewer facilities at Shepley Bridge end.

2. Between Cooper Bridge lock and the flood gates, next to the flood gates.

3. Just above Kirklees top lock, this is the most rural mooring, no pubs closeby as far as I know.

4. In Brighouse per NB Caelmiri's post.

On the way to Huddersfield we often moored up about 1/3 mile above lock 2, there is some wooden wharf like edging with a few bollards and room for one narrow boat. This is also more rural, no pubs close by that I know of

Given that you could do Dewsbury to Brighouse, Brighouse to Huddersfield and Huddersfield to Dewsbury in 1 day each, there are plenty of stopping places to make it a slower journey.

I am afraid I can not help regarding pubs as our preference was for quieter rural mooring.

Should have also mentioned last few times in Huddersfield mooring between the lift bridge and the basin has been in short supply, last year we moored to some wooden staging before the lift bridge, this was not ideal as it is quite hugh up, but it sufficed for one night.

1 hour ago, PeterF said:

We were based in that area for a number of years and found that you could moor OK on the canal sections

1. between Shepley Bridge and Ledgard, access to an Aldi and Co-op at Ledgard end, fewer facilities at Shepley Bridge end.

3. Just above Kirklees top lock, this is the most rural mooring, no pubs closeby as far as I know.

On the way to Huddersfield we often moored up about 1/3 mile above lock 2, there is some wooden wharf like edging with a few bollards and room for one narrow boat. This is also more rural, no pubs close by that I know of

Given that you could do Dewsbury to Brighouse, Brighouse to Huddersfield and Huddersfield to Dewsbury in 1 day each, there are plenty of stopping places to make it a slower journey.

I am afraid I can not help regarding pubs as our preference was for quieter rural mooring.

Tx again, not too concerned re pubs as planning meals in but a pint would be nice. Going to take our time as trying out new boat, thanks for info

50 minutes ago, PeterF said:

Should have also mentioned last few times in Huddersfield mooring between the lift bridge and the basin has been in short supply, last year we moored to some wooden staging before the lift bridge, this was not ideal as it is quite hugh up, but it sufficed for one night.

Tx, appreciated

Lots of good pubs in Huddersfield - The Sportsman and the Rat & Ratchet being very good choices.  Rather you than me though, going to the pub on reopening day sounds like a recipe for disaster.  I'll be keeping well clear.  Good visitor moorings in Huddersfield beyond the road bridge to the west of Aspley Wharf, all along next to the university.  Should be fairly quiet too, with no students about.

Peter is right about Brighouse basin going up and down a lot, when boats go through the locks.  The walls of the basin are uneven and gently sloping which makes it quite easy to get hung up.  Use the chunkiest fenders you have to help with this.

I believe the towpath side moorings between the lift bridge and Aspley are under the control of the marina, but they don't change for the first few nights.

72 hours free mooring at Aspley Wharf,and then someone will come around holding their hand out.

There are facilities. Water,elsan,pump out, shower,diesel,gas etc.

Because of Covid restrictions,the chandlery is only open 4-5pm .

might pay to check the Facebook page of any pub that takes your fancy, lots are not opening on the 4th for various reasons.

The Sportsman opening on the 9th and i think requires booking

The Rat & Ratchet has no date yet, brewery opening their pubs in stages and the Rat is not listed on the 4th or the 9th so may be later.

just did those as an example as @doratheexplorer mentioned them by name

i know of one that won't be opening because "we have not been able to come to an agreement with our landlords on new terms reflecting the new trading situation", The Sair won't be opening as the rooms are just too small for social distancing, and my local next door is not opening at all for the forseeable :(

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, umpire111 said:

Planning on doing a similar trip from Huddersfield on Saturday.Weather forecast doesn't look good for Sat and Sun,but better the following week.

As for pubs,they are I think only allowing a few in at a time,and taking contact details at the door.

I will take a goodly supply of beer with me.

3 hours ago, PeterF said:

Regarding the above,

1. The Lidl (not Aldi) has now shifted to the other side of the canal, below the bridge in Mirfield - still very convenient though.

2. If going up to Huddersfield, mooring above Lock 1 of the Broad Canal is quite pleasant and handy for the White Cross at Bradley, if open (and for future reference)

Also pleasant moorings above Battyeford Lock, opposite the Boat Club.  Not far to the Pear Tree pub.

3 hours ago, pearley said:

If you need to use the CRT services at Shepley Bridge you'll probably have to fight your way through the moored boats.

They are not CaRT services, they are run by Calder Valley Marine who owns Shepley Bridge just as they own Dewsbury where the O.P is starting from, so they are responsible for the services and moored boats not CaRT. So if the OP has to fight through moored boats he can mention it when he gets back to Dewsbury if it's a major problem.

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

They are not CaRT services, they are run by Calder Valley Marine who owns Shepley Bridge just as they own Dewsbury where the O.P is starting from, so they are responsible for the services and moored boats not CaRT. So if the OP has to fight through moored boats he can mention it when he gets back to Dewsbury if it's a major problem.

First cruised there in the early 90s when it was a BW yard with services. But would be typical to sell/lease services with the yard. Been there a few times since , last time September last year. Pretty sure there is still BW/CRT signage.

Edited by pearley

When we moored there in 2006 -2009 it was BWB services and the gate out to the yard was locked with a key from the boat yard so people pulling up there could not access the yard, but those of us mooring there could get in by land. That was when Brian ran the yard before CVM took over.

3 hours ago, PeterF said:

When we moored there in 2006 -2009 it was BWB services and the gate out to the yard was locked with a key from the boat yard so people pulling up there could not access the yard, but those of us mooring there could get in by land. That was when Brian ran the yard before CVM took over.

C.V. Marine took it over about 2 year ago from Brian who still lives in the cottage by the lock and now they run the whole site including the moorings on the towpath side.

On 02/07/2020 at 09:52, Mad Harold said:

Planning on doing a similar trip from Huddersfield on Saturday.Weather forecast doesn't look good for Sat and Sun,but better the following week.

As for pubs,they are I think only allowing a few in at a time,and taking contact details at the door.

I will take a goodly supply of beer with me.

Just been on CRT stoppage notices,all flood gates on R.Calder closed!

Huddersfield Narrow work on locks 1E to 12E so no boat trip.

Boat filled with fuel,oil and battery checked,changes of clothes,bedding set up,and stocked with food and beer.

All dressed up,and nowhere to go!

As swearing is frowned on on CWF, I feel like going on Thunderboat to have a good swear.

I hear that they are a bit more relaxed about bad language there.

9 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Just been on CRT stoppage notices,all flood gates on R.Calder closed!

Huddersfield Narrow work on locks 1E to 12E so no boat trip.

Boat filled with fuel,oil and battery checked,changes of clothes,bedding set up,and stocked with food and beer.

All dressed up,and nowhere to go!

As swearing is frowned on on CWF, I feel like going on Thunderboat to have a good swear.

I hear that they are a bit more relaxed about bad language there.

That’s bad news. 
I understand your frustration. 
Hopefully the river will drop soon. 
I ain’t looked at stoppages for awhile. Ain’t they just dredging? And if so they’ll let you pass?

Yea, took a look at thunder boat the other day (forgot I’d registered there 3 years ago! I must have had a few beers) Seems they’re a bit more easy going, it’s less like a schoolroom than here. 
Not yet posted there mind.