Raw sewage in rivers

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't remember a 'liner' with our two, a 'full nappy' was draped over the side of the toilet and the toilet then flushed 'washing' the faeces off the nappy. Nappies then went into a bucket to soak and then when a batch was done (daily ?) they were washed and put thru the mangle.

And what an awful process that was . 

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

And what an awful process that was . 

It was the norm.

A lot of things were 'of their time' and would now be considered 'awful' but you cannot re-write history, we did what we did.

The planet was not in this state 50+ years ago. It is the modern throwaway 'plastic' society that have destroyed the world.

The younger generation could learn a lot by looking backwards occasionally.

• Greenie 2

40 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It was the norm.

A lot of things were 'of their time' and would now be considered 'awful' but you cannot re-write history, we did what we did.

The planet was not in this state 50+ years ago. It is the modern throwaway 'plastic' society that have destroyed the world.

The younger generation could learn a lot by looking backwards occasionally.

As long as they are selective, DDT, leaded petrol I'm sure there are more :)

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't remember a 'liner' with our two, a 'full nappy' was draped over the side of the toilet and the toilet then flushed 'washing' the faeces off the nappy. Nappies then went into a bucket to soak and then when a batch was done (daily ?) they were washed and put thru the mangle.

We used liners with our kids in 72 and 74. a sort of long lasting paper stuff. Thinking about it now I bet they would play havoc with a modern sewage works . in those hays it was pumped straight into the North Sea

I sent all of my kids nappy waste in plastic bags to the HQ for testing and experimentation purposes. 

They can't get enough of it. 

Edited by magnetman
Typo edit
  • Greenie 1

A lot of things were a lot worse, from an environmental point of view , 50+years ago  than now in the UK  .The state of the canals and  air quality for example .

Not everything was better in the  past in many ways .

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

A lot of things were a lot worse, from an environmental point of view , 50+years ago  than now in the UK  .The state of the canals and  air quality for example .

Not everything was better in the  past in many ways .

image.png.01a8d09738be76aa4487f850c3b1a70a.png

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

There are certainly more grumpy old gits alive  than 50+ years ago.

Yes, the generation that would have been 'old gits' in the 1960's & 70's  got involved in a bit of a disagreement in Europe and didn't come back. It is because of them that we can be 'grumpy old gits' today

On 01/07/2020 at 22:33, Alan de Enfield said:

I had all the latest 'electronics' on board including 'Decca' for location.

Decca was the predecessor to GPS and as long as the wind wasn't blowing, there was no clouds in the sky, it wasn't raining or foggy it was accurate to about 1 mile.

It worked on triangulation of three shore stations. It was so 'secret' that you couldn't buy a Decca set, you could only rent them from Racal-Decca.

We usually used Chain 3B

Decca Navigator

Yes, we had Decca, I recall spending best part of an hour trying to find a racemark at night [ the DZ bouy ] in a strong westerly.

Decca was pretty good on a nice sunny day in flat calm, nerve racking in fog, where the echo sounder came in to play,

Navigator to skipper .. "I think we are in the passage between the two islands, sandy bottom, depth should be 10 feet,  Skipper to navigator " I think we are still a mile offshore", should be in six fathoms"

......? are we in 10 feet or 6 fathoms ................ had to look over the side to verify position! The echo sounder had two ranges 1x or 10x,  one had to manually select range

How do you tell a Germans underpants hanging on the line.

By the Bismarck.

What lies on the sea bed and twitches.

A nervous wreck.

Edited by bizzard

On 02/07/2020 at 09:19, Slim said:

Maybe in it's early days but I bought several in the very late 70s and into the 80's. I liked them, sight better than commercially available RDF. Also have vague memories of Decca navigation charts, never tried to understand them by the time I used Decca it was a simple Lat/Long readout with 'traffic light' accuracy indication.

Happy days.

At one time a popular method to lockin-in customers. In the 60's and early 70's, in-house switchboards were similarly rented but with the twist that every time you wanted to have an upgrade of extension the contract started over again! There was almost no way out.

13 hours ago, tree monkey said:

As long as they are selective, DDT, leaded petrol I'm sure there are more :)

Just watch the documentary series (repeated at the moment) about the dangers in the home - the last one I saw earlier in the week related to the 50's and 60's, so not all that long ago.

Sometimes, current generations may rail against regulations - but might not be so keen if they knew why they were adopted and what can go wrong in a totally unregulated market.

Some were quite horrific  - faulty electrical goods, furniture that easily went up in flames, ceiling tiles that dripped molten, childs' dresses that went up in flames etc etc etc

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Just watch the documentary series (repeated at the moment) about the dangers in the home - the last one I saw earlier in the week related to the 50's and 60's, so not all that long ago.

Sometimes, current generations may rail against regulations - but might not be so keen if they knew why they were adopted and what can go wrong in a totally unregulated market.

Some were quite horrific  - faulty electrical goods, furniture that easily went up in flames, ceiling tiles that dripped molten, childs' dresses that went up in flames etc etc etc

But the benefit was we didn't have an overpopulation problem.

12 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Dont forget the CO in the bathroom

On 02/07/2020 at 08:55, Midnight said:

Just upstream of the boat club is a large water treatment works. After the 2015 Boxing Day floods I was surprised by a conversation I had with the EA customer support team. Apparently they can discharge raw sewage into the river Calder when it floods to 6ft above normal. That a lot of sh... you know what going past our boats. 

But the quantity of water going past your boat was many many times the normal flow, so that sh.. was very diluted.

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

wall cladding that promoted fire, ...

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And that was fitted in 2016 so we are not as good as we'd like to think we are !

That was generally thought to be the result of deregulation from those who want to escape the nanny state (who actually has a nanny these days?) and seek to abolish as many of the constraints as possible - especially those that get in the way of making a fast buck - rather like Covid-19 virus as soon as lock down rules are relaxed and left to 'responsible' people to self regulate.