Lister Engine Belts

strummerjoe

Featured Posts

Hi there,

I am in the process of doing some work to my Lister engine and have come across something that has stumped me, though that doesn’t take much! 

can anybody advise how to remove and replace the two belts shown below? I cannot see an obvious way to remove them! 

many thanks all

strummerjoe. 

42946CA0-B8B3-4019-A306-8D3A6D8F07EC.jpeg

2283A732-0527-49AA-B7EF-2BCBFF73DFDE.jpeg

02FDFBED-4C58-4371-8BB9-DC2209B8A818.jpeg

Hi,

you would think it would be that straightforward but there doesn’t seem to be an obvious way of removing either the top or the bottom section, hence my post. and the belts are actually on tighter than they appear and won’t simply pull over to be replaced. 

cheers

strummerjie. 

15 minutes ago, strummerjoe said:

Hi,

you would think it would be that straightforward but there doesn’t seem to be an obvious way of removing either the top or the bottom section, hence my post. and the belts are actually on tighter than they appear and won’t simply pull over to be replaced. 

cheers

strummerjie. 

Remove top or bottom section of what?  Its the other small double pulley that should move closer to the big pulley to de-tension the belts.

What is it driving, a water pump? Its impossible to see from that photo'.

That must either pivot or be removable completely to get the belts off.

Forget about forcing belts over the edge of pulleys, its just not on.

I am confused as to why there are 2 belts if its a water pump, those belts a capable of transmitting about 4 HP !

TD'

Edited by Tracy D'arth

And as I’m at the boat I’ve taken some more photos in case they help. 

one is of the engine, a couple from the top from the top and the other is the best I can get from the other side showing what the top pulley connects to. 

hope this helps.

cheere

strummerjoe

52A08F5E-0BBC-4818-A721-01464496204C.jpeg

CA6F8608-187C-40FE-A30C-A0F29FB13061.jpeg

8940D38A-AC98-4E95-AFE1-EE9186AA71EC.jpeg

2A42F411-248C-48E5-A4D6-E8DE75ACC4C1.jpeg

The one from the far side has loaded upside down. ?

I think we need much better views all around that water pump, from above, side, front and if possible below. Looking at the first photo I wonder if the fixings that hold the back plate/inlet onto the pump also hold the pump onto the engine.

hi,

i think you are right, unfortunately I have no lights in the engine room at the moment and it was pouring a rain up our way today so i couldn't open the hatches for a better light. I'll be passing over the weekend and I will try to get some better pics.

cheers

strummerjoe

Possibly totally irrelevant, but a generator I have a hand in looking after (Ruston Hornsby 4VPH) has a belt driven raw water pump where the only way of fitting/removing the belt is by levering it over the pulleys, which can be done by hand.  It does help (in fact, it's essential!) that it's a linked belt, so adjustment can be made for wear by removing a link.

I think originally the engine would as standard have an alternator mounted onto the flywheel guard. With this in place there would not be a problem as the alternator would move to allow belt tension.