Vloggers, Good or bad for New Boaters?

PD1964

Featured Posts

Have just watched this YouTube Vlogger and thought it was a pretty bad instructional/how to do Vlog, but is a good example of how to mess up a engine service. I can't see why you would put this out for all to see? It's as if everyone that buys a Narrowboat seams to think they have to put Vlogs out and show potential boaters or Newbies how to do thing and as this guy clearly shows often they haven't got the experience or knowledge to achieve the task. So is this a good thing for potential boaters or should Vloggers like this be avoided?

Or should they stick to scenic Vlogs and leave the Instructional/how to Vlogs to the experts/experienced?

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

There are no standards for Video-logs. The quality of presentation runs from "professional" as in Silver Fox through Minimal List to perhaps the one of which you complain.

It's not a service that anyone is obliged to provide or for you to watch...

The joy ! of YT is that there is a myriad of subjects and quality of presentation - you are free to ignore any that you find not to your taste - but not to carp about.

I for one take exception to your comments....

• Greenie 1

We're thinking of having a boat built and are considering asking if we can have a discount for not being vloggers/youtubers so that the lads can crack on without filming interrupting their build schedule :D

We do watch a lot of these vids, purely for entertainment and to see places we've been or plan to go. They need to be taken with a massive pinch of salt i feel, some of them are so feckless you wonder how they've managed to live so long. I don't think any of them ever say how they do it is how it must be done.

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Have just watched this YouTube Vlogger and thought it was a pretty bad instructional/how to do Vlog, but is a good example of how to mess up a engine service. I can't see why you would put this out for all to see? It's as if everyone that buys a Narrowboat seams to think they have to put Vlogs out and show potential boaters or Newbies how to do thing and as this guy clearly shows often they haven't got the experience or knowledge to achieve the task. So is this a good thing for potential boaters or should Vloggers like this be avoided?

Or should they stick to scenic Vlogs and leave the Instructional/how to Vlogs to the experts/experienced?

I thought from the title it was how NOT to do and no I haven't watched in. I do watch what Andy Tidy produces about the Birmingham Canals 

For me who is new to narrow boat ownership Vlogs have been a great source of education, and during this lock down, inspiration. Some that I watch I like, some I don't, some I disagree with but for all I appreciate that they have been willing to take the time and effort to make it. I also admire those who are able to own their errors and lack of knowledge and not pretend all goes right everytime - that's how we learn.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Awayonmyboat said:

For me who is new to narrow boat ownership Vlogs have been a great source of education, and during this lock down, inspiration. Some that I watch I like, some I don't, some I disagree with but for all I appreciate that they have been willing to take the time and effort to make it. I also admire those who are able to own their errors and lack of knowledge and not pretend all goes right everytime - that's how we learn.

The trouble is you never know if you are learning good practice or bad

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

True, but in previous era's the same issue applied to books. The great advantage brought by the internet is we can now see many sources  -  and hopefully make more informed judgements.

• Greenie 3

38 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

There are no standards for Video-logs. The quality of presentation runs from "professional" as in Silver Fox through Minimal List to perhaps the one of which you complain.

It's not a service that anyone is obliged to provide or for you to watch...

The joy ! of YT is that there is a myriad of subjects and quality of presentation - you are free to ignore any that you find not to your taste - but not to carp about.

I for one take exception to your comments....

I’m not really complaining I’m just asking with Vlogs like this out there are they good or bad for potential or New boaters.

Why take exception? You haven’t got to read this and reply, just as you say I haven’t got to watch them.

Do you think this is a good Vlog? Or one to watch to learn about how it can quickly go wrong?

Edited by PD1964

29 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I’m not really complaining I’m just asking with Vlogs like this out there are they good or bad for potential or New boaters.

Why take exception? You haven’t got to read this and reply, just as you say I haven’t got to watch them.

Do you think this is a good Vlog? Or one to watch to learn about how it can quickly go wrong?

But it's like 100% of 'how to videos' that get posted on You Tube. Completely un regulated as to the quality.

I watch a lot from how to do minor plumbing at home, through to fix bits of cars/bikes etc etc.

The best tip I can offer is have a look at the comments, this can help you decide if somebody knows what they are talking about but of course it's not the definitive answer to how skilled somebody who posts on social media is or isn't.

And that goes for the advice posted on here. I will only ever point people in the direction of a (very) few posters on here. Pointing out somebody is giving bad advice tends to get their backs up so I tend not to do that so I just don't point people their way.

I have had some really bad reactions on youtube when I have commented that their advice is unhelpful and some cases down right dangerous. Self appointed experts tend not to like being called out.

51 minutes ago, Awayonmyboat said:

True, but in previous era's the same issue applied to books. The great advantage brought by the internet is we can now see many sources  -  and hopefully make more informed judgements.

But in that era you had to persuade (or pay) someone to publish the book - part of the persuasion was how many copies might get sold - a previously unknown author rocking up with "how to change an injector" would have to work hard (or part with hard cash) to get published and would then have to work harder to publicise it's presence.

Nowadays there is an almost zero publishing charge (if you accept your own time is free) and the "Likes" can be for technical content, accuracy or amusement value - you don't know which unless you already know something of the topic. And then you get into the territory of Vloggers who are famous for being famous...

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Given that he called it what he called it, it was hardly provided as an instructional/how to video, so I'm not sure it warrants the criticism you give.

As you ask the questions:

IMHO, it was an extremely good example of how it might go for most people doing their first engine service, and gave some examples of how you might prepare, in order to avoid some of the possible pitfalls. I certainly picked up a few tips.

It was also very helpful in determining whether to have a go yourself, or to get someone who does it every day of their lives to do it, and hand over some money.

I found his manner a bit irritating and tedious, and wont be subscribing although, if I have a specific job to do, I will probably see if he has done a similar thing, and watch it, in order to see what things can go wrong, and how I might avoid them.

As to whether he should be doing this kind of thing - He has over 5,000 subscribers, gets around 1,000 to 2,000 views of each of his videos, and has had as high as 18,000, AFAICT. Presumably he enjoys doing it. I think the numbers speak for themselves.

24 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The one on fitting an Essex Flange bu someone who was suppose to be a tradesperson  highlights the problem 

But the initial Vlog is helpful and he showed the out-takes, unlike the Vlog in the post, where it all goes wrong and becomes a bit of a laugh. I don’t know how he can be taken seriously. If he wants to embarrass himself on Youtube good luck to him.

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

But the initial Vlog is helpful and he showed the out-takes, unlike the Vlog in the post, where it all goes wrong and becomes a bit of a laugh. I don’t know how he can be taken seriously. If he wants to embarrass himself on Youtube good luck to him.

I was just making the point that not a Vlogs by so called  experts/professional can be relied upon

But if he hadn’t put the out takes on at the end, the Vlog was instructional to show you how to fit the Essex Flange, while not being a Plummer I could follow it and achieve the task, unlike if I was a New boater and watched the attempt of an Engine service. I know it’s not titled “How to do a Engine Service” probably because he made a bit of a Hash if it.

Edited by PD1964

I have to admit to watching you tube for info how to do stuff. Watched one today to find out how to get into my car key to change the battery, a few seconds long and I would never have worked it out by just looking at the key. I have looked at the odd narrowboat vlog by various posters of late and it seems that much that is put out is detrimental to safe boating by peeps with little or no experience, some of the stuff beggars belief. I watched one by two girls talking about their composting bog that they dont even compost with!!

When we bought our first liveaboard in 1989 I visited canal side pubs ( I was running one at the time ) and talked to every kind of person who actualy lived aboard, there were not many but a few hobby boaters who we listened to also. Today people seem frightened to seek out real people for genuine advice and rather watch dubious stuff on you tube. Such is life.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Today people seem frightened to seek out real people for genuine advice and rather watch dubious stuff on you tube. Such is life.

So true, I think most of the Vloggers have only had their boats a couple of years and probably spend more time editing the Vlog then it took to actually do the journey. You can't beat getting out and talking to people, but remember social distancing.

• Greenie 1

I wouldn't watch a youtube video on how to perform heart surgery - or at least not for anything other than entertainment value - but I would watch a youtube video on how to do a boat engine service by anyone - whether expert or amateur. But not just the one video, I'd watch lots of them and take bits of information from each and then I'd be able to form an opinion on which one is correct.

I like watching YouTube videos on all things canal boats. There are lots that do cruising and lots that tinker with their boat - all of them are amateurs and each bring their own unique perspective. I admire people who record a helpful/interesting video then spend hours making it nice for viewers - if you've ever seen anything I've done you'll see I lack the knowledge and commitment to make any decent videos, which is why I think Alan makes good videos as he's honest, cheerful and clearly loves what he does!

26 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

So true, I think most of the Vloggers have only had their boats a couple of years and probably spend more time editing the Vlog then it took to actually do the journey. You can't beat getting out and talking to people, but remember social distancing.

As a professional video editor I cringe when I read a comment of ‘great editing’ for some of these videos. I don’t think I’ve seen a single example of ‘great’ editing... ‘adequate’ is as good as it gets. 

• Greenie 1

the guy is pretty clear that he is not expert, he is a newbie and this is his first time.

Its upto you to check the comments and various other sources, not blame people for creating content.

I second the sentiments of @Awayonmyboat, some vlogger I like and some I dont but they all have right to produce the content the way they see fit. I will vote with my mouse.

The people who look for perfection or expertise in everything will have hard time creating any content, and will be forever bitter how 'morons' get so many views.

Edited by restlessnomad

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well that's not really any different for those of us who were boating or living on boats before mobile internet. We had to get advice by talking to people (remember that?) but you never really knew if what they said was good or bad practice. Now at least you have lots of advice and recommendations at your fingertips so you can make an informed decision yourself.