Leicester is shut

Cheshire cat

Featured Posts

On 31/07/2020 at 14:42, The Happy Nomad said:

It doesn't say that.

Have a read.

If you live or work in this area, you should stay at home as much as you can. Only travel if it is essential

so how do folk get to non-essential shops which are still allowed to open?

48 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

so how do folk get to non-essential shops which are still allowed to open?

I haven't the foggiest. That was my point.

I don't make the rules though.

However they now appear to have updated to say.

You can still travel, but you should only do this with people you live with (or have formed a support bubble with)

Edited by The Happy Nomad

And CRT are now saying:--

In Leicester, pubs, cafes and restaurants have been permitted to re-open. We are pleased to announce the waterway through Leicester is re-opening for boating. The single household guidance applies, with only members of a single household or support bubble aboard at any time. The Government guidance for Leicester is available here.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

.... The single household guidance applies, with only members of a single household or support bubble aboard at any time. The Government guidance for Leicester is available here.

If you are in a multi bubble crew group (MBCG), you are allowed to drop them off on one side of Leicester and pick them back up on the other side....

On 31/07/2020 at 11:34, JonesBoy said:

Bonkers: 

...an adjective which neatly sums up,people who cannot or will not follow rules which are made for their own safety and well-being. Do they wonder why it is that, when the corona virus was gradually going away, there are now local break-outs?

52 minutes ago, Athy said:

...an adjective which neatly sums up,people who cannot or will not follow rules which are made for their own safety and well-being. Do they wonder why it is that, when the corona virus was gradually going away, there are now local break-outs?

Gradually going away is the key: the rate at which it was progressing it will take several years to get anywhere near zero infections, the goal that our politicians have set themselves, perhaps envious of the few places that have do so. 

Two considerations;

Firstly, NZ claims to have zero infections but it does have a very strict no-foreign-travel policy, one which would create significant problems here. But, they did lock down very early and so the virus never took hold. But as a result they can only maintain their status by keeping the restrictions in place indefinitely until a treatment or vaccine is available. (Australia thought it was doing well until it relaxed too far and is struggling to regain control)

Secondly, even with our higher rate of infection, only 10 - 20% have yet been infected, only some of whom have any immunity and that immunity may not last very long. It only takes one infected person to kick it all off again. One the virus has escaped into the community it takes a long, long time to eradicate it. I seem to recall that even when we had a vaccine for smallpox it took decades to get to the point at which it could claim to have been eradicated.

We will only get somewhere when politicians manage to get consent to what level of infection we are prepared to live with. That is, what balance between freedom and control is acceptable? But so far no-one seem brave enough to go down that route, but trying to sus it out experimentally. Out on restrictions and see how many folk abide by them. Role models would help.

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Gradually going away is the key: the rate at which it was progressing it will take several years to get anywhere near zero infections, the goal that our politicians have set themselves, perhaps envious of the few places that have do so. 

Two considerations;

Firstly, NZ claims to have zero infections but it does have a very strict no-foreign-travel policy, one which would create significant problems here. But, they did lock down very early and so the virus never took hold. But as a result they can only maintain their status by keeping the restrictions in place indefinitely until a treatment or vaccine is available. (Australia thought it was doing well until it relaxed too far and is struggling to regain control)

Secondly, even with our higher rate of infection, only 10 - 20% have yet been infected, only some of whom have any immunity and that immunity may not last very long. It only takes one infected person to kick it all off again. One the virus has escaped into the community it takes a long, long time to eradicate it. I seem to recall that even when we had a vaccine for smallpox it took decades to get to the point at which it could claim to have been eradicated.

We will only get somewhere when politicians manage to get consent to what level of infection we are prepared to live with. That is, what balance between freedom and control is acceptable? But so far no-one seem brave enough to go down that route, but trying to sus it out experimentally. Out on restrictions and see how many folk abide by them. Role models would help.

We could be lucky and have zero infections by the end of 2022. That's about the same time frame as for Spanish flu. I think that's a bit optimistic unless we also have an effective vaccine by the middle of next year.

Leicester is open.

Coming down from Kibworth to Wistow was no different to normal, paddles hard work, some broken. Onwards from here it is obvious that nothing has really been done since last year.

20200805_092934.jpg

From Kilby Bridge onwards was hard, very hard work. Some pounds almost 2 feet below where they should be(and that was with a CRT worker letting water down from Kibworth first thing in the morning. The reed growth is unchecked,  and in some areas, a single narrow boat width wide. Underwater weed and other plant growth also made slow, slow progress. No vandalism other than graffiti, which got better and more artistic as we entered the city. 

Kings Lock was a welcome sight, although the boat coming up warned us of much rubbish and weed. The local kids were in the local open air pool, we refilled it after descending.

20200806_135418.jpg

The Soar was lovely, except for the usual LimeKilns to Belgrave Lock stretch which was full of rubbish, bun bags, floating oil and other slimy stuff. From then on....gorgeous. I think the extended winter floods have done some good clearing. 

Birstall Lock is again in a very sorry state, works below yet again trying to repair the landing walls...3rd attempt in 6 years??

The turn into Sileby Mill whirlpool has become even more challenging with the tree left over from Winter. 

20200806_140025.jpg

....and the blown cill in Sileby Lock is....still blown, 7 years and counting now....

20200806_140049.jpg

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

We had about 6 narrowboats pass us on the journey through, and a couple of small plastics. The boats in the centre look like they have been there for a while......they didnt look like holiday boats.

The centre around Frog Island is being developed at speed, and seems to want little to do with the river other than the pontoon moorings......further multiple residential blocks on the old bus station and Wolsley works sites down towards Belgrave Lock also intrudes and probably add to the pollution problems.

20200806_141012.jpg

Edited by matty40s

16 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Probably the first time I have seen no boats at all at the Hope and Anchor moorings (the Northern Limit of the lockdown area), none at Birstall or Thurmaston, and only 2 at Kilby Bridge.

It's been empty down there for a few weeks now, there was a couple of boats that had moored there for about six months,  they moved on after crt notices were pinned to the boats.

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

Probably the first time I have seen no boats at all at the Hope and Anchor moorings (the Northern Limit of the lockdown area), none at Birstall or Thurmaston, and only 2 at Kilby Bridge.

Where are you moored tonight?

In the wrong place - what happened to being in the lock!!!

Would have come to see you but its a bit late now.

While you are there have a look at Tyto and give me a rough idea of the cost of a repaint. Thinking of getting it done in 2022. Still not certain of Dave as a painter and I don't think he s retiring just yet.

Will you still be in the area tomorrow night?

Thanks

Richard

Edited by Richard T

11 minutes ago, Richard T said:

In the wrong place - what happened to being in the lock!!!

Would have come to see you but its a bit late now.

While you are there have a look at Tyto and give me a rough idea of the cost of a repaint. Thinking of getting it done in 2022. Still not certain of Dave as a painter and I don't think he s retiring just yet.

Will you still be in the area tomorrow night?

Thanks

Richard

Based on my quote £20k with a giggle

Quite nice at sunrise too, when searching for a cat who has decided to go back to her old favourite spot in the derelict cafe.....

No, not there tonight, we have to get back through Leicester today. Didnt have a look at Tyto as didnt see this until just now, sorry.

20200807_054145.jpg

• Greenie 2