Leicester is shut

Cheshire cat

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, George and Dragon said:

Because that's why we go to the pub. If we weren't going to meet people we might as well stay home with a mug of cocoa.

I go to a pub for a drink and maybe a meal with the wife, I don't go to meet people

• Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, JonesBoy said:

Bonkers: Can’t meet in my garden but can all go to the pub!

You can go to the pub but only with members of your own household.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I go to a pub for a drink and maybe a meal with the wife, I don't go to meet people

We also go to the pub for a pint and a meal but inevitably almost end up meeting someone we know or making new friends while we are there!

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/leicester-lockdown-changes-what-you-4381715

• from the August 3 the following can reopen (in line with the national changes of 4 July):

• Restaurants, Cafes and Workplace Canteens

• Bars and Pubs

• Hotels, bed and breakfast accommodation, holiday apartments or homes, cottages or bungalows, campsites, caravan parks or boarding houses

Which presumably means canal boating in Leicester -- including hire boats -- is permitted again, once CART get their act together and tell people ?

• people from different households are still able to meet in a group of up to 6 and only outdoors, provided they follow strict social distancing

• people should not meet in private homes or gardens (this includes people who live within the area travelling to visit someone who lives outside Leicester)

So as has been pointed out, up to 6 people can now meet in a pub garden, but not their own garden...

Edited by IanD

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/leicester-lockdown-changes-what-you-4381715

• from the August 3 the following can reopen (in line with the national changes of 4 July):

• Bars and Pubs

• Hotels, bed and breakfast accommodation, holiday apartments or homes, cottages or bungalows, campsites, caravan parks or boarding houses

Which presumably means canal boating in Leicester -- including hire boats -- is permitted again, once CART get their act together and tell people ?

Although the govt guidelines still say no non essential travel to, from or through the area in local lockdown....which may or may not include boats...

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

• Bars and Pubs

Don't hold your breath. It might change again by tea time.

But yes they must be allowing non essential travel again, otherwise how do people get to their holiday accomodation?  

Istr that CRT's movement restriction was based around 'no non essential travel'

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Although the govt guidelines still say no non essential travel to, from or through the area in local lockdown....which may or may not include boats...

So how do you get to the said re-opened Leicester hotel/B&B/cottage/bungalow/campsite/caravan park without first travelling in -- and then back out of -- Leicester?

If all this is permitted, a boat is exactly the same case...

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

Which if correct is plain bloody contradictory nonsense.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Which if correct is plain bloody nonsense.

And goes against the guidance they've just posted...

Except that does say (in line with the national changes of 4 July) which means non-essential travel is not banned any more. Lets see them wriggle...

Edited by IanD

10 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Which if correct is plain bloody contradictory nonsense.

Go to this link and scroll down to the "travel into and out of leicester" link

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/leicester-lockdown-what-you-can-and-cannot-do?utm_source=27c12279-81c2-4783-82ad-f06a82f64645&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

I read it that you can't travel.....however who knows!

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/leicester-lockdown-what-you-can-and-cannot-do?utm_source=27c12279-81c2-4783-82ad-f06a82f64645&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

How do people get to all these reopened places without travelling? Most of them are certainly not "essential"...

from the 3 August the following can reopen (in line with the national changes of 4 July):

• restaurants, cafes and workplace canteens
  • bars and pubs
  • hotels, bed and breakfast accommodation, holiday apartments or homes, cottages or bungalows, campsites, caravan parks or boarding houses
  • places of worship
  • libraries
  • community centres
  • social clubs
  • cinemas and bingo halls
  • theatres and concert halls
  • museums and galleries
  • hair salons and barbers
  • outdoor playgrounds and gyms
  • funfairs, theme parks and adventure parks and activities
  • amusement arcades
  • other indoor leisure centres or facilities, including indoor games, recreation and entertainment venues
  • model villages
  • indoor attractions at aquariums, zoos, safari parks, farms, wildlife centres

Let's see what CART say...

Edited by IanD

14 minutes ago, frangar said:

The council web site says pretty much the same.

I'm sure the owners of all those businesses will be delighted they have been allowed to open again. 

A pity nobody can travel to them though.......

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The council web site says pretty much the same.

I'm sure the owners of all those businesses will be delighted they have been allowed to open again. 

A pity nobody can travel to them though.......

Perhaps you can travel to them within the restricted are but not into our out of.

Just now, Mike Todd said:

Perhaps you can travel to them within the restricted are but not into our out of.

It doesn't say that.

Have a read.

If you live or work in this area, you should stay at home as much as you can. Only travel if it is essential

Leicester one says this

“Only travel into, out of and within areas under local lockdown if your travel is essential”

My Yorkshire one says I can travel in and out of the area but can’t go into anybody’s garden anywhere, unless I’m a nannie.

Still go into any pubs, even those that don’t social distance, lots of them round here and are smaller than my garden.

I will be complying but still don’t get it.

3 hours ago, JonesBoy said:

Bonkers: Can’t meet in my garden but can all go to the pub!

You can meet in your garden  if you install a credit card machine and take money from visitors to boost the economy :)

Edited by Loddon

I asked CART via FB Messenger to clarify what their new advice about Leicester would be -- expecting to hear nothing -- and got a reply within an hour saying:

"I'm not 100% sure what the regional team are planning, so I have sent a message across to them for you. As soon as we hear back we'll be in contact to let you know."

So at least somebody at CART is listening, even if he hasn't got the information yet...

For those that are interested and have not seen, CRT have confirmed that Leicester is now open for boating again from the 3rd when the changes in Leicester come in.  

The restrictions in the north east and Yorkshire also mean that there only one family is allowed to be on a boat there as with Leicester.  That could scupper some people’s plans, and really reinforces that booking anything at the moment is a punt.

Edited by john6767
  • Greenie 1

The government 'rules' about what we can and cannot do is rapidly degenerating into farce.

Complicated even further by the 'devolved' administrations making up their own rules and regulations about where you should go and what you can do with whom.

I think most  intelligent people have worked out a sensible and safe way forward, but some less intelligent have just thought 'stuff that' its too complicated now, hence the rise in infections.

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

For those that are interested and have not seen, CRT have confirmed that Leicester is now open for boating again from the 3rd when the changes in Leicester come in.  

The restrictions in the north east and Yorkshire also mean that there only one family is allowed to be on a boat there as with Leicester.  That could scupper some people’s plans, and really reinforces that booking anything at the moment is a punt.

North West.

Just sayin.

The North East is currently doing fine.......at the mo.