Leicester is shut

Cheshire cat

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You will probably find that your insurance(private or hire)  will be invalidated if you suffer mishap whilst undertaking a non essential journey through an area in lockdown.

Mmm.

I think that is stretching things a bit.

The insurance company would have to show that its specifically a breach of their policy.

They couldnt for example just say, we are not paying out on that collision claim purely on the basis there was a 'lockdown'. Otherwise everybody's car insurance policy passing through Leicester would now be void.

If you catch covid, and collapse at the tiller and collide with another boat or sink your own there might be justification for voiding the policy but even then I would say they would struggle to justify it to the FSO.

33 minutes ago, IanD said:

Indeed. But if push comes to shove this all CART/government *advice*, there is no legal penalty or enforcement behind it. I wouldn't even think of going against this advice if I thought there was any significant risk compared to all the other things which are allowed in Leicester, but I don't believe this is the case for either travelling straight through or even stopping but staying on the boat -- and yes I do have a scientific background and have looked into the facts about how the virus is spread.

Unless CART physically chain the locks closed there is nothing to prevent boats travelling through, in the same way that there is nothing preventing the residents of Leicester from driving out of the city to do things outside it that they're not advised to do inside and then travelling back in again and meeting people -- which I would not condone since this does increase the risk of spreading the virus.

IIRC you are a regular hirer so this would presumably not be your own boat? It would belong to a company who require permission from CRT to operate their business, and therefore I think bringing them into it without their knowledge would be wrong.

If the restrictions are still in force would you declare your intentions?

JP

47 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Mmm.

I think that is stretching things a bit.

The insurance company would have to show that its specifically a breach of their policy.

They couldnt for example just say, we are not paying out on that collision claim purely on the basis there was a 'lockdown'. Otherwise everybody's car insurance policy passing through Leicester would now be void.

If you catch covid, and collapse at the tiller and collide with another boat or sink your own there might be justification for voiding the policy but even then I would say they would struggle to justify it to the FSO.

They could just refuse to pay out as you shouldn't have been there in the first place whilst following national guidelines.

52 minutes ago, IanD said:

Oh stop it, get down off your lecturing high horse and *think* about what I said instead of just reacting to it...

Oh, another one, "I dont have to wear a face mask as I'm only nipping into the shop for a pint of milk"......or  " dont mind me leaning over you inside your 2m distancing space as I've forgotten my gravy and dont know anyone with Covid19 anyway"

17 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

IIRC you are a regular hirer so this would presumably not be your own boat? It would belong to a company who require permission from CRT to operate their business, and therefore I think bringing them into it without their knowledge would be wrong.

If the restrictions are still in force would you declare your intentions?

JP

Yes of course, I'll tell them what I plan to do and I'll ask their advice on what to do if -- by the time I get there a week later -- the lockdown is still in force.

If they advise me not to go through then I'd probably have to follow that advice. But the problem is that going anticlockwise it will be eight days before we reach Leicester (carrying on in the hope that the lockdown is lifted), and if we turn round then it would be a rush to get back.

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

They could just refuse to pay out as you shouldn't have been there in the first place whilst following national guidelines.

They could. But as I say I doubt that would stand up to scrutiny by the FSO.

Insurance companies will not be able to turn down a car insurance claim purely on the basis one was travelling through Leicester when it happened so why should a boat insurer?

Edited by The Happy Nomad

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Oh, another one, "I dont have to wear a face mask as I'm only nipping into the shop for a pint of milk"......or  " dont mind me leaning over you inside your 2m distancing space as I've forgotten my gravy and dont know anyone with Covid19 anyway"

You just don't give up, do you? I'm not going to reply to your posts any more, this is just getting more and more heated without shedding any light...

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, IanD said:

You just don't give up, do you? I'm not going to reply any more, this is just getting more and more heated without shedding any light...

The light is clear, at the moment, nobody should be cruising through the LEICESTER and OADBY/WIGSTON areas unless it is an ESSENTIAL JOURNEY.

Once the governments policy changes, and CRT guidance moves with it(which may happen within 4 weeks), then yes, the Leicester Ring could be open again.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

The light is clear, at the moment, nobody should be cruising through the LEICESTER and OADBY/WIGSTON areas unless it is an ESSENTIAL JOURNEY.

Once the governments policy changes, and CRT guidance moves with it(which may happen within 4 weeks), then yes, the Leicester Ring could be open again.

There is that word again.

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

Yes of course, I'll tell them what I plan to do and I'll ask their advice on what to do if -- by the time I get there a week later -- the lockdown is still in force.

If they advise me not to go through then I'd probably have to follow that advice. But the problem is that going anticlockwise it will be eight days before we reach Leicester (carrying on in the hope that the lockdown is lifted), and if we turn round then it would be a rush to get back.

Fair enough, I guess logic says you’d have to turn back half way round if the lockdown isn’t yet lifted. My expectation is that it’ll be OK for the last week in August but I have an easy alternative for my one way journey. And knowing who I’ll be meeting at the other end I’ll stick to the rules.

JP

The Government passed legislation regarding the Leicester lockdown, this came into force on 4th July

Legislation ensuring Leicester's local lockdown can be enforced by law has been rushed through Parliament.

The new regulations come into force on Saturday, as the rest of the country begins to see an easing of lockdown.

The Leicester lockdown legislation

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/685/pdfs/uksi_20200685_en.pdf

The latest updates on the 17th July are here :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/leicester-lockdown-what-you-can-and-cannot-do

Thus 'guidance' is legally enforceable and the following will be monitored by the Police

Only travel into, out of and within areas under local lockdown if your travel is essential.

It is unlikely that travelling on the canal 'because I want to' will be considered essential travel :

Map showing the area covered by the Leicester lockdown.

Area changes

Following a review, all additional lockdown restrictions will end in areas outside of Leicester City and the Borough of Oadby and Wigston 18 July. Some additional restrictions will continue in Leicester City and the Borough of Oadby and Wigston but some restrictions will be relaxed 24 July.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

Probably best to cammo your boats, dont announce on here you are passing through and sneak along under the cover of darkness.

Or the Covid police WILL get you.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Leicester was locked down as I was on my way back from Hatton, I turned left at Braunston and went up the Oxford onto the Coventry an the T and M to avoid Leicester.

The advice is clear , essential travel only through Leicester, the navigation is essentially closed.

I would suggest that if anybody is planning to slip through Leicester in the next couple of days/weeks not to post on here.

I wouldn't put it past one or two members on here to tip the authorities off. 

This virus is not Manflu. Getting it, or passing it on can have fatal consequences.

We live just south of the Leicester conurbation. My partners work place is within the city. She continues to work from home.

The selfish "it doesn't apply to me" attitude will do not a jot to help eradicate the viral transmission.

Quibbling over semantics seems utterly pointless.

Stay away from the city. Show some moral responsibility.

• Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is asking a lot from some of the forum nomadic members.

Very funny Alan.

I am just struggling to take the forum covid police seriously.

21 minutes ago, johnmck said:

This virus is not Manflu. Getting it, or passing it on can have fatal consequences.

We live just south of the Leicester conurbation. My partners work place is within the city. She continues to work from home.

The selfish "it doesn't apply to me" attitude will do not a jot to help eradicate the viral transmission.

Quibbling over semantics seems utterly pointless.

Stay away from the city. Show some moral responsibility.

Ex force by any chance?

Just FYI, since March I've left the house four times. Once when my mum died. Once when I went to her funeral. Once to walk to the doctors for a requested pneumonia jab. Once to drive to the office to pick up some essential equipment.

I find it extremely offensive when people imply -- or state openly -- that I'm being careless of the health of others, when they know nothing about me.

Edited by Athy
Removing unacceptable language.

8 hours ago, IanD said:

Just FYI, since March I've left the house four times. Once when my mum died. Once when I went to her funeral. Once to walk to the doctors for a requested pneumonia jab. Once to drive to the office to pick up some essential equipment.

I find it extremely offensive when people imply -- or state openly -- that I'm being careless of the health of others, when they know nothing about me.

Well you were doing swimmingly till that point.

I was just going to point out Leicester Police only want informing about a serious breach of the rules, and that I didnt think boating through Leicester met that acid test.

Edited by Athy

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Well you were doing swimmingly till that point.

I was just going to point out Leicester Police only want informing about a serious breach of the rules, and that I didnt think boating through Leicester met that acid test.

It’s only you that’s approaching it from the point of view of reporting actions to authorities. The real issue is that the navigation authority have asked leisure boaters not to make journeys through Leicester. There’s a mighty long way from pointing that out on a public forum to clandestinely grassing on someone to a law enforcement agency.

JP

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

It’s only you that’s approaching it from the point of view of reporting actions to authorities. The real issue is that the navigation authority have asked leisure boaters not to make journeys through Leicester. There’s a mighty long way from pointing that out on a public forum to clandestinely grassing on someone to a law enforcement agency.

JP

I was just responding to Ian's outburst.

But as you raise the issue, you might be surprised at how devious and snide one or two people on here can be in order to make trouble for others.

I just urge caution as to what people post on here, that's all.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

10 hours ago, IanD said:

Hey I got my first warning in 12 years for telling someone they were ridiculous.

I'm sure you'll be fine with the f word
?

Edited by Athy
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 2