Featured Posts

Good evening just joined I’m not sure if you could help me in any way, I am doing my family history and have just discovered that my Grandad Norman Gilbert’s father Was living at Hatton lock keepers cottage with his family in 1920, I was wondering if there was any more you knew of them or if by any chance there was any photos? his father was called William Gilbert and he was the lock keeper around that time. My Grandad was born in 1920. 
I look forward to hearing back from you

This is the cottage at the bottom of Hatton Locks, now used as holiday accommodation.

https://www.lockkeeperscottage.co.uk

I can't immediately think of any others on the flight, although there may have been some in the past. But there were a couple of houses on the lane leading to the workshops which were occupied by canal staff in the 70s, so perhaps one of those.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

This is the cottage at the bottom of Hatton Locks, now used as holiday accommodation.

https://www.lockkeeperscottage.co.uk

I can't immediately think of any others on the flight, although there may have been some in the past. But there were a couple of houses on the lane leading to the workshops which were occupied by canal staff in the 70s, so perhaps one of those.

This one at the top lock, pre the 1930's widening.

Hatton Top Lock c 1900's.JPG

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

There are 3 lock cottages on the Hatton flight, all dating from the late 18th century- the one at the bottom lock available for holiday lettings, the one at the top lock seen in Ray's photo, and this one at lock 34 in the middle of the flight - this is probably the most original.

geograph-1199329-by-Keith-Williams.jpg.858849051e2302395765ac47af41b53c.jpg

• Greenie 2

The one in Ray's picture appears above the lock whereas the house there now is beside the top lock, therefore is it a different house or was the double lock moved compared to where the single lock was?

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The one in Ray's picture appears above the lock whereas the house there now is beside the top lock, therefore is it a different house or was the double lock moved compared to where the single lock was?

The modern wide lock is about a lock length upstream of the original narrow lock

7 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Street view image from outside the cafe.  You can see the far side wall of the original narrow lock below the wide top lock.

605EA247-06C5-4EDC-AC73-EFF6BA2B774B.jpeg

I thought I had looked at that when going through there and presumed the single lock was further down but couldn't remember for certain.

Thank you so much everyone I have copied the black and white top lock photo, I’m hoping someone has a photo of the lock keeper somewhere from around 1920 that happens to be of my great grandad. I’d love to see what he looks like. Thank you all for your information 

44 minutes ago, Julie Marie said:

Thank you so much everyone I have copied the black and white top lock photo, I’m hoping someone has a photo of the lock keeper somewhere from around 1920 that happens to be of my great grandad. I’d love to see what he looks like. Thank you all for your information 

Hi Julie,

Do you have any other relatives connected to the canals? Or perhaps if not your relatives those of the Gilbert family concerned? I have various relatives - and relatives of relatives - stretched out along the same canal during that same period; boaters, maintenance workers, toll collectors, publicans and lock keepers. Nobody called Gilbert linked to any of those though.

JP

"Scrapyard of narrowboats, private company premises known as Gilbert Bros Charity Dock. Collection of derelict narrowboats. Also moorings provided fro cabin cruisers and some narrowboats. Dry dock available. Holden Motor Services Furnace Garage off Furnace Road Bedworth Warwickshire CV12 9AP Tel. 02476 313122"

My mom said my great grandad was lock keeper at Hatton in 1920 ish, but then moved to knowle? Still as a lock keeper I think?! 
I have found photos of lots of lock keepers but non of them are my grandad and all are named! It was on one of the many sites I have searched on. I have messaged museums and Warwickshire archives and many more places, even the cottage itself to see if they have any historical knowledge.