Charging worries,

Dale jones

Featured Posts

Just inthe process of buying  a 24 ft  Teal grp, cruiser,  fitted  with  20m hp Honda outboard,  the boat has 4 batteries installed and , at the moment it is on a mooring  that has a hook up,  our mooring has no hook up so am trying  to decide on the best  way to keep the batteries  . charged, a Honda outboard  isnt up to the job I wouldn't  think

I am toying with the idea of,getting a generator,and running it when we visit the boat to top,up,the batteries,  dont think the boat roof is big enough  to,fit solar panels,

Anyone  any ideas,on the best way to proceed ?

I'd be looking to minimise my electrical demand (and therefore my charging needs) as much as possible. Much less of a problem to solve then, smaller solar panel for instance, and it sort of "goes" with small boating to my mind. :)

6 minutes ago, Dale jones said:

Just inthe process of buying  a 24 ft  Teal grp, cruiser,  fitted  with  20m hp Honda outboard,  the boat has 4 batteries installed and , at the moment it is on a mooring  that has a hook up,  our mooring has no hook up so am trying  to decide on the best  way to keep the batteries  . charged, a Honda outboard  isnt up to the job I wouldn't  think

I am toying with the idea of,getting a generator,and running it when we visit the boat to top,up,the batteries,  dont think the boat roof is big enough  to,fit solar panels,

Running a petrol generator is a bit 'iffy' and should never be run on the boat, it should only be run when downwind of the boat on the shore.

You can get a 'folding' 100watt solar panel which you can prop up on the bank or on the roof and on a good day should give you something like 4 amps (say 32Ah) You can leave when you are not on the boat so the batteries will be fully charged when you return (are your mooring secure or just 'bank-side' ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100W-12V-Portable-Foldable-Solar-Panel-With-a-10A-Solar-Charge-Controller-for/293632436522?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monocrystalline-100W-folding-solar-panel-Kit-water-proof-controller-cables-bag/202765777646?

To be honest the best alternative is to change moorings to one that has electric.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 30/06/2020 at 19:01, Dale jones said:

Just an idea, can you get your car close to the boat, have you got tow bar electrics? Make up a lead and while your visiting, use your car to do any bulk charging. Then a small solar panel whilst you are away. Never done this, so may be a nonstarter, just an idea.

That’s a bit like what one of my colleagues did with their off grid house in Oz.

Partner had a  Works ute with a built in mains generator/ welding kit. He also had a no questions asked fuel card.

On arrival home would plug ute into house charge batteries and provide power.

Environmentally about as foul as you can get. 

20 minutes ago, Cas446 said:

Just an idea, can you get your car close to the boat, have you got tow bar electrics? Make up a lead and while your visiting, use your car to do any bulk charging. Then a small solar panel whilst you are away. Never done this, so may be a nonstarter, just an idea.

I think it is a non starter, you would probably need wires the size of 'hose-pipe' due to the volt drop over the distance from the car to the boat - even 100 feet will give a huge % volt drop at the high current needed to charge a flat battery.

You'd need to run the car engine for many hours which becomes expensive in fuel costs.

Minimise leccy use and fit a small solar panel.My 10W trickle charge solar panel is about 1ft square.

If your outboard has a pull start as well as electric,use the pull start as much as possible.

On 30/06/2020 at 19:07, Alan de Enfield said:

Running a petrol generator is a bit 'iffy' and should never be run on the boat, it should only be run when downwind of the boat on the shore.

.......and then you will be upwind of the boat next to you.

• Greenie 1

Not sure why a small boat like that with limited power use would need four batteries. One starter and one domestic battery should suffice. It isn't as though you will have high electrical demands.

There are plenty of small cruisers on moorings with no hook up so not uncommon. The advent of solar power has really helped in this sector. Even on the smallest boats there is usually room on the cabin roof for a panel.