Llangollen Which Counties?

mark99

Featured Posts

I believe that Cheshire goes into tier 3 tomorrow (Boxing Day) and others into tier 4

Merrry Xmas and a happy new tier.

A total of 24 million people will be living in Tier 4 from 12.01am on Saturday December 26.

This is 43% of the population of England.

Some six million people were added to Tier 4 in Wednesday's briefing in the following areas:

• Cambridgeshire: Cambridge, East Cambridgeshire, Fenland, Huntingdonshire and South Cambridgeshire
  • East Sussex: Brighton & Hove, Eastbourne, Lewes and Wealden
  • Essex: Colchester, Tendring and Uttlesford
  • Hampshire: Basingstoke & Deane, East Hampshire, Eastleigh, Fareham, Hart, Rushmoor, Southampton, Test Valley and Winchester - but EXCLUDING the New Forest, which is entering Tier 3
  • Norfolk: Breckland, Broadland, Great Yarmouth, King's Lynn & West Norfolk, North Norfolk, Norwich, South Norfolk
  • Oxfordshire: Cherwell, Oxford, South Oxfordshire, Vale of White Horse and West Oxfordshire
  • Suffolk: Babergh, East Suffolk, Ipswich, Mid Suffolk and West Suffolk
  • Surrey: Waverley
  • West Sussex: Adur, Arun, Chichester, Crawley, Horsham, Mid Sussex and Worthing

These areas join Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Peterborough in Cambridgeshire, Hastings and Rother in East Sussex, the rest of Essex, the rest of Hampshire, Hertfordshire, Kent, London and the rest of Surrey, which are already in Tier 4.

The areas moving into Tier 3 are:

• Bristol
  • Cheshire: Cheshire East, Cheshire West & Chester and Warrington
  • Gloucestershire: Cheltenham, Cotswold, Forest of Dean, Gloucester, Stroud and Tewkesbury
  • Hampshire: Isle of Wight and New Forest
  • Northamptonshire: Corby, Daventry, East Northamptonshire, Kettering, Northampton, South Northamptonshire and Wellingborough
  • Somerset: Bath & North East Somerset, Mendip, North Somerset, Sedgemoor, Somerset West & Taunton and South Somerset
  • Swindon

These areas join Derbyshire, County Durham, South Gloucestershire, Greater Manchester, the Humber, Lancashire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Northumberland, Nottinghamshire, South Yorkshire, Staffordshire, Tees Valley, Tyne & Wear, Warwickshire, the West Midlands metropolitan county and West Yorkshire, which remain in Tier 3.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

It always strikes me as the ultimate arrogance when a government decides to abolish some historic counties and move the ancient boundaries of others.

I understand the need for creating more rational local government areas but how they can move towns from one (ancient) county to another beats me. 

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

• Bristol
  • Gloucestershire: Cheltenham, Cotswold, Forest of Dean, Gloucester, Stroud and Tewkesbury
  • Northamptonshire: Corby, Daventry, East Northamptonshire, Kettering, Northampton, South Northamptonshire and Wellingborough
  • Somerset: Bath & North East Somerset, Mendip, North Somerset, Sedgemoor, Somerset West & Taunton and South Somerset
  • Swindon

These areas join Derbyshire, County Durham, South Gloucestershire, Greater Manchester, the Humber, Lancashire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Northumberland, Nottinghamshire, South Yorkshire, Staffordshire, Tees Valley, Tyne & Wear, Warwickshire, the West Midlands metropolitan county and West Yorkshire, which remain in Tier 3.

We, here in Bristol, are feeling seasick.  Moved from Tier 3 into Tier 2 and then back again before we could even apply the parking brake.

If I lived in the delightful town of Thornbury I would have been well pissed off when the antics of 30,000 students in Frenchay (actually in north Bristol but within the so-called "South Gloucestershire" move the town into Tier 3.

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

It always strikes me as the ultimate arrogance when a government decides to abolish some historic counties and move the ancient boundaries of others.

I understand the need for creating more rational local government areas but how they can move towns from one (ancient) county to another beats me. 

Bloody ludicrous boundaries. I remember having to drive from northampton  almost to banbury to assess a patient.

We were 2miles from banbury hospital mental health unit.

I assessed the patient called the social services arranged admission and called police and ambulance. The ambulance drove from northampton picked up the patient and took to St Crispins.

30 miles each way.

Take 2 miles to banbury oh no not our health area.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I believe that Cheshire goes into tier 3 tomorrow (Boxing Day) and others into tier 4

Merrry Xmas and a happy new tier.

A total of 24 million people will be living in Tier 4 from 12.01am on Saturday December 26.

This is 43% of the population of England.

Some six million people were added to Tier 4 in Wednesday's briefing in the following areas:

• Cambridgeshire: Cambridge, East Cambridgeshire, Fenland, Huntingdonshire and South Cambridgeshire
  • East Sussex: Brighton & Hove, Eastbourne, Lewes and Wealden
  • Essex: Colchester, Tendring and Uttlesford
  • Hampshire: Basingstoke & Deane, East Hampshire, Eastleigh, Fareham, Hart, Rushmoor, Southampton, Test Valley and Winchester - but EXCLUDING the New Forest, which is entering Tier 3
  • Norfolk: Breckland, Broadland, Great Yarmouth, King's Lynn & West Norfolk, North Norfolk, Norwich, South Norfolk
  • Oxfordshire: Cherwell, Oxford, South Oxfordshire, Vale of White Horse and West Oxfordshire
  • Suffolk: Babergh, East Suffolk, Ipswich, Mid Suffolk and West Suffolk
  • Surrey: Waverley
  • West Sussex: Adur, Arun, Chichester, Crawley, Horsham, Mid Sussex and Worthing

These areas join Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Peterborough in Cambridgeshire, Hastings and Rother in East Sussex, the rest of Essex, the rest of Hampshire, Hertfordshire, Kent, London and the rest of Surrey, which are already in Tier 4.

• Bristol
  • Swindon

What’s the source for this, please? The list on gov.uk does NOT have Bath & North East Somerset moving up to Tier 3 on Boxing Day.

Can anyone tell me what the points (e.g. bridges/locks) are where the border crosses the canal?

Otherwise I can sit down with OpenStreetMap and see if can figure it out.

1 hour ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

We live in Ellesmere & haven't seen or heard about any physical barriers across the canal.

Thanks for this. We passed a boater yesterday who mentioned there was a barrier across the canal at Ellesmere. We are a long way from Ellesmere but would like to adjust our speed such that we don't get caught in any closures :) of course the tiers and rules change so fast that it is virtually impossible to plan around, so probably best just to take it as it comes. Just if there is a long term barrier would be good to know about.

1 hour ago, AndrewIC said:

What’s the source for this, please? The list on gov.uk does NOT have Bath & North East Somerset moving up to Tier 3 on Boxing Day.

Virtually every newspaper had the same 'word for word' article, one could only assume they had all got it from the same source - Gov.com ?

4 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

Very useful topic given the tier rules but I'm still not exactly sure where the boundaries are and where the canal crosses the border.

According to the gov.uk and wales.gov websites, Shropshire and Cheshire are both Tier 2 for covid right now, and Wales is Level 4 (which I think is the same as England tier 4). In Tier 2 I believe we are allowed to cruise maintaining social distancing of course. While in tier 4 you may not.

I have found the guidance very complicated and sometimes contradictory, so we haven't paid too much attention because we have been isolating the entire year and only move for services anyway. I don't want to break any rules either though and the border with Wales makes things a bit more serious.

You aren't allowed to move from one tier to another either so does that mean that boats in the Llangollen canal loops (that leave Wales for England and go back again) are stranded? Really clear guidance like "you cannot pass bridge 14 even for services" would be useful.

I have heard that there is a physical barrier across the canal at Ellesmere. Can anyone confirm that? Will it be removed when Wales moves down to a lower tier?

P.S. merry Christmas!

UK COVID TIERS (26-Dec-2020) - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1MVf_hBwEmBimSBBWhI4RlBm89xQKADbS&usp=sharing

Somebody helpful posted a link to this on Facebook recently - he has updated it once so perhaps intends to do so going forward.

I checked on the map. 

The Llangollen enters Wales at (52.9139, -2.7727) just after the Prees arm for 2 miles passing through Bettisfield village in Wales, then re-entering England again at (52.9089, -2.8124). 

It goes another 14 miles in England passing through Ellesmere in Shropshire before crossing the Chirk aqueduct into Wales at (52.9281, -3.06212)

That should mean that provided Shropshire stays in Tier 2 we should be allowed to cruise up to just before Chirk, if everyone is willing to overlook the village of Bettisfield (we wouldn't stop there)?

Also checked on the CaRT website for stoppages, and the Llangollen is totally clear until the the 8th Feb when they are closing the Chirk tunnel and Ponty aqueduct. So apart from that 2 miles I can't see any reason Covid or otherwise why we can't cruise the Llangollen up to Chirk?

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Son is a care worker in Bath and they have been officially told it is moving to Tier3 tomorrow.

OK, thanks. That differs from what is currently on https://www.gov.uk/guidance/full-list-of-local-restriction-tiers-by-area. Daughter is a Bath Uni student, their info hasn’t been updated since the last tier rejig (which will probably be out of date by the time term starts anyway.

45 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

OK, thanks. That differs from what is currently on https://www.gov.uk/guidance/full-list-of-local-restriction-tiers-by-area. Daughter is a Bath Uni student, their info hasn’t been updated since the last tier rejig (which will probably be out of date by the time term starts anyway.

It has been on the .Gov website for a couple of days (as per the link given above dated 23/12/20   Government tiers review update - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) )

5 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

Can anyone tell me what the points (e.g. bridges/locks) are where the border crosses the canal?

Otherwise I can sit down with OpenStreetMap and see if can figure it out.

Just type 'Wales' in the search box in Google Maps on your phone, and it shows the whole of the Welsh boundary. Then just zoom into the area of interest.

2 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

I checked on the map. 

The Llangollen enters Wales at (52.9139, -2.7727) just after the Prees arm for 2 miles passing through Bettisfield village in Wales, then re-entering England again at (52.9089, -2.8124). 

It goes another 14 miles in England passing through Ellesmere in Shropshire before crossing the Chirk aqueduct into Wales at (52.9281, -3.06212)

That should mean that provided Shropshire stays in Tier 2 we should be allowed to cruise up to just before Chirk, if everyone is willing to overlook the village of Bettisfield (we wouldn't stop there)?

Also checked on the CaRT website for stoppages, and the Llangollen is totally clear until the the 8th Feb when they are closing the Chirk tunnel and Ponty aqueduct. So apart from that 2 miles I can't see any reason Covid or otherwise why we can't cruise the Llangollen up to Chirk?

Way ahead of you :)

Don't forget that the actual boundary at Chirk is not at the English end of the aqueduct but is but actually half way across the aqueduct, the river below being the boundary between England and Wales. Its probable worth cruising the banned extra hundred yards to wind at the tunnel entrance.

11 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Thank you for checking! I am not sure what that other boater was on about then. I'll assume then that I can cruise up to halfway across Chirk aqueduct then unless tiers change.

i’d rather go right across and wind in front of the tunnel, otherwise it’s a tricky reverse of about a mile to the next one ?